What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Final TV Ratings

Raiderdave

First Grade
It's going to happen forever, people who hold up viewership numbers as the sole measure of success are deluded.

a sole gauge for success TV ratings shouldn't be no

things like memberships & attendances .. sponsorships merchandising etc are big players too & we are well behind the AFL on most of these KI's

but TV dollars are probably the single biggest revenue source for sport
why do you think both codes are figthing tooth n nail to claim they are biggest on the box

clearly RL is the more popular of the 2 on TV
& also clearly .. for overall numbers of Australians who prefer one sport over the other .... RL is the winner here too.

Last edited:

timka4

Bench
I saw two news articles on google news right next to each other:

AFL scores over NRL in ratings race - http://www.adnews.com.au/adnews/afl-scores-over-nrl-in-ratings-race
NRL outpoints AFL in ratings battle - http://www.backpagelead.com.au/league/5130-nrl-outpoints-afl-in-ratings-battle

How can this even be? Its either one or the other, so clearly biased reporting is taking place?

Also, is it a ratings battle or a race? That's probably the most important question here.
that's because the AFL article only counted metro numbers not metro + regionals (which I'm fairly sure we came out on top). Classic AFL

Bluebags1908

Juniors
Given that the NZ audience doesn't make any difference to the Australian TV deal or reflect the popularity of the NRL in Australia I don;t know why they added them. We don;t add other countries in, nor does other sports. We'd all be lol'ing at RU if they tried to claim superiority of the code in Australia based on combined viewing figures for their comp across the three countries that participate.

NZ ratings should be added because we have a NZ team playing in the NRL. Sure, don't count ratings from other countires (PNG for example - until they get a team in the NRL maybe one day... can u imagine their ratings?)

Agree that the NZ ratings has no affect on Australian TV deal, but we still get the NZ$$$ from the NZ TV deal - something a certain other code would die for. Why not flaunt the NRL's advantage in NZ? Money is money no matter where it comes from.

H.H

Juniors
How are the Foxtel ratings tallied during the season?

I assume that their figures are more "real" because of the suibscription driven nature of their product. Ie, are they able to read exactly who watches what through their boxes, or are their ratings samples ala the FTA/Oztam set up?

El Diablo

Post Whore
So, the foxtel figures dont even include ratings from the regional centres? (because Oztam doesnt).

And they dont use the box being switched on as the method of counting?

OzTAM manages and markets television ratings data covering all channels for the five city metropolitan areas and nationally for Subscription television.

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
Given that the NZ audience doesn't make any difference to the Australian TV deal or reflect the popularity of the NRL in Australia I don;t know why they added them. We don;t add other countries in, nor does other sports. We'd all be lol'ing at RU if they tried to claim superiority of the code in Australia based on combined viewing figures for their comp across the three countries that participate.

Regardless if the NZ ratings makes a difference or not to the Australian NRL TV deal, NZ is still a market of the NRL and when counting how many ratings the game has got for any event should include figures from all markets of the competition.

Haynzy

First Grade
thanks for saying that...
my thoughts exactly, why would people watch it? its seriously a sport that gets no attention in the media. the only stuff that makes the news is the scandals.

even ch 9s news which started straight after the game only showed it at the end of the sports bulletin, after all the afl, a-league, cricket..oh, and that golfer who did the airswing!

Agreed, NRL is treated so poorly here.
It's why I never buy a newspaper. In Adelaide our print media is solely owned by Rupert.

I feel for the guys trying to get things moving at grass roots level. They work their butts off but are pushing barrow loads uphill if the kids can't even watch the game.

One bloke in charge of Junior Development, one bloke in charge of schools for the whole of SA! Both under 30 and doing a great job. Everyone else is a volunteer.

:crazy::crazy::crazy:

Latest posts