What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Final TV Ratings

thommo4pm

Coach
I watched fox for the Toyota Cup.
Given they covered it all year, and Channel 9 rarely if ever mention it, I didn't want to watch it on 9. Fox put a lot of time and effort into their coverage of the Toyota Cup.

NRLMad

Juniors
I think they need to factor in peak audiences which actually exceed the ratings values.... Add in NZ Ratings and we have another 600K

NRLMad

Juniors
I watched fox for the Toyota Cup.
Given they covered it all year, and Channel 9 rarely if ever mention it, I didn't want to watch it on 9. Fox put a lot of time and effort into their coverage of the Toyota Cup.

true, very true.. we need expansion of the covergae of the U20s - 3-4 games a week would be nice.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Actually, those ratings only take into account the Ch 9 telecast.

FOX Sports 2/2HD did broadcast the Toyota Cup GF live, so we'd probably need those ratings for an accurate picture. Plenty of people would want to watch it in HD given the preference.

i did

ad free too

Loudstrat

Coach
Great ratings in Melbourne but terrible ratings in Brisbane.

Brisbane ratings were fine, roughly 25% of the population, same as Sydney.

And for those who reckon Adelaide should have an NRL side - 40k - half as much as Perth. Pathetic.

Goddo

Bench
Ten’s AFL Finals 2011: Grand Final Collingwood V Geelong Ten
2,595,000 258,000 1,367,000 308,000 297,000 365,000

Rugby League Grand Final Nine
2,027,000 1,021,000 347,000 524,000 48,000 87,000

Add in regionals and NRL should win by a few (2-5) hundred thousand in Australia. Plus another half mil from NZ.

Also note, the NRL GF in Melbourne beat the AFL GF in Sydney.

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
I remember figures of over $4 million being released for previous years in both grand finals - I assume that was official with the regionals thrown in.

Rabs also said that the GF was shown in over 100 countries. Can anyone provide the list, and where AFL was shown?

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I remember figures of over $4 million being released for previous years in both grand finals - I assume that was official with the regionals thrown in.

Rabs also said that the GF was shown in over 100 countries. Can anyone provide the list, and where AFL was shown?

Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia, and then a couple of other places that believe in providing charity.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Was the Sunday Footy Show in Melb/Ade/Per the AFL or NRL version?

AFL :x

Not unhappy with 87K for Perth, thought we might have topped the 100k but was a nice day and opening weekend of the show. Maybe if Ch9 actually promoted they were showing it then it would have. I watched it at the pub with around 150 other RL fans there, would imagine there was probably a hundred pubs around Perth the same.

Having said that the sample is so unreliable that you have to take any figures relating to TV audiences with a very big pinch of salt.

StormCats

Juniors
AFL :x

Not unhappy with 87K for Perth, thought we might have topped the 100k but was a nice day and opening weekend of the show. Maybe if Ch9 actually promoted they were showing it then it would have. I watched it at the pub with around 150 other RL fans there, would imagine there was probably a hundred pubs around Perth the same.

Having said that the sample is so unreliable that you have to take any figures relating to TV audiences with a very big pinch of salt.

Tend to agree with you a bit there.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...nce-of-2-million/story-e6frg996-1226156995013

The 2011 NRL Grand Final helped the Nine network to its second best performance on a Sunday night this year.

Its network audience of 2.026 million viewers was equivalent to last year’s audience of 2.09 million but down on the 2.41 million in 2009 and the average audience of 2.63 million viewers watching the AFL Grand Final between Geelong and Collingwood the previous day.

The NRL Grand Final between Manly and the Warriors had the advantage of a later twilight timeslot and the NRL and Nine will be pleased with the 363,000 viewers in Melbourne, more than watched the AFL Grand Final in Sydney. An average audience of 1.08 million watched the NRL decider in Sydney and 567,000 in Brisbane. Another 1.09 million viewed the game in regional markets. The audiences for both sporting events were likely much higher though as the official OzTAM ratings don’t assess out of home viewing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its network audience of 2.026 million viewers was equivalent to last year’s audience of 2.09 million but down on the 2.41 million in 2009 and the average audience of 2.63 million viewers watching the AFL Grand Final between Geelong and Collingwood the previous day.

This is why promoting the game in capital cities is so important, the media always focus on the 5 city ratings and mention the regional figures in passing. If we can get a Tv station that will actually promote and show the game in all 5 cities and we keep pushing expansion then we will totally eclipse the AFL before we even consider regional and NZ figures.

I can't wait till Perth comes in, we have a TV station willing to promote the game above all others and the NRL actually has some money to market the game properly. The next decade is going to be massive for RL!

Perth Red

Post Whore
And for those who reckon Adelaide should have an NRL side - 40k - half as much as Perth. Pathetic.

Which reflects the neglect of the city by RL since the Rams were cut. NRL doesn't have a god given right to be popular, like any sport it needs to promote, develop, invest and actually have the game shown into an area before we can expect people to take an interest in it. I haven't heard anyone say Adelaide should be the next team in, I have heard plenty of people say we need to be working over the next decade to get the game into SA and build for the future.

Hoggy

Bench
Melbourne fairly close to Brisbane, great to see.

Also notice we were the only city that didn't get the presentation, f**king clowns.

eozsmiles

Bench
Saweet. Does anyone know the AFL ratings? I'm actually starting to get a bit optimistic for a billion dollar deal (if Perth comes in).

The billion is banked. It's the next $300 million that is proving a challenge. Regardless of expansion.

Latest posts