What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grandfinal days for NSW Cup and Jim Beam Cup

girvie

Staff member
There is a possibility that the NSW Cup Grandfinal will be held on the Saturday of Grand final week at Parramatta Stadium rather than on the Sunday at Telstra Stadium.

I was wondering what everyone thinks about that possibility?

What would you prefer?

If the NSW Cup grand final was played on Sunday then i'd imagine it would be played at 12.00 before the Under-20s. The Nrl grandfinal is kicking off at 5pm so this year would be a lot earlier than 4.00pm kick-off for Premier League last year.

If they do have the NSW Cup grand final on Saturday then i hope that they hold it as a double header with the Jim Beam Cup grand final.

Last edited:
Personally I'd rather the game to be held on the Saturday, along with the JBC. We'd hopefully get some NRL fans coming to the game and there would be a more fun atmosphere I think.
Plus it'd be easier for fans to go as there wouldn't be a mad scramble for tickets as the NRL GF is full of corporate types and members, plus it'd be a lot cheaper too.
The NSW Cup and the JBC have been pretty much separated from the NRL this year anyway so there isn't any need to tack our games onto the front of the NRL wankfest.

News just in: NSWRL Cup GF result - Newtown 11 Norths 10, field goal in the last ten seconds of the game for the Jets!!!!

baddog

Juniors
a double header with jbc at a smaller ground like kogarah, hensos, campbelltown, or even concord would be good.

be even better if it was on abc

2 True Blues

Coach
Personally I'd rather the game to be held on the Saturday, along with the JBC. We'd hopefully get some NRL fans coming to the game and there would be a more fun atmosphere I think.
Plus it'd be easier for fans to go as there wouldn't be a mad scramble for tickets as the NRL GF is full of corporate types and members, plus it'd be a lot cheaper too.
The NSW Cup and the JBC have been pretty much separated from the NRL this year anyway so there isn't any need to tack our games onto the front of the NRL wankfest.

News just in: NSWRL Cup GF result - Newtown 11 Norths 10, field goal in the last ten seconds of the game for the Jets!!!!

Good call mate. ( I also especially like the wankfest bit in REf to the NRL ). ;-):cool:

Although it has been IMO purposefully seperated from it's ( what the NRL obviously seem to believe "business" competitors in their eyes ) and in this the 100th year of rugby league.

That being said. I hope it is " definately " on a different day than the NRL grand final. And hope heaps of " Rugby league " fans come to watch it. Where it is played should be a " neutral " ground to any side that happens to win their way into a chance at winning it in centenary year.

2 True Blues

Coach
NSW cup and JB cup grand finals will not be played on NRL grand final day

Ok.

It would have been a stupid idea if the NSWRL tried to run against it I suppose, but these people usually cant seem to run a chook raffle at times.

This different day Grand/Final situation may just turn out to be a blessing in disguise then after all.

PS... Hope it backfires on the NRL then. All good. :lol::cool:

korky

Juniors
Think you'll find the NSW Cup and JB Cup will finish on different weekends. The final round of the JB Cup has been brought forward to this weekend, which was originally a spare

2 True Blues

Coach
Makes sense. The NRL know that there is not much difference in the quality of game play btw NRL and the reserve grade teams ( usually filled with NRL players in any case ) come grand final day.

In fact the reservre grade grandfinals have been more exciting than the NRL finals and closer fought contests in the previous 2 seasons for instance. As such they hide us away.

Yet if they play a game the quality of Beam Cup come grand final day. The NRL game ( their product ) then as such looks all the better. Makes sense that they would then as such choose to play Beam and Under 20 finals prior to their " product " then. As the "apparent quality" appears all the more greater btw the two games that way.

baddog

Juniors
beam wasn't on nrl gf day last year, and hasn't been for some time i think you'll find. they've been played before nrl semi finals the last couple of years.

2 True Blues

Coach
Beam was definately on grandfinal day in 2006 ( Homebush ). I was there and watched the jets play the double header. beam grandfinal then the NSWRL grandfinal, prior to the NRL grandfinal. Though we left after the NSWRL grand final game and did not stay for the NRL game.

Not sure about last year though mate.

Would not surprise me if the NRL allowed this though. They appear to want and hide the quality away like it is a "business" threat to them. It is a " businiess " to them though. To most NSWRL fans, Rugby League is STILL a " sport " though.

Last edited:

baddog

Juniors
last year jbc was on the 22nd at sfs.

have to take your word on 06. only seen photos and it was telstra but looked like a night game so assumed earlier than gf. was flegg played between jbc and premiers?

Beam was definately on grandfinal day in 2006 ( Homebush ). I was there and watched the jets play the double header. beam grandfinal then the NSWRL grandfinal, prior to the NRL grandfinal. Though we left after the NSWRL grand final game and did not stay for the NRL game.

Not sure about last year though mate.

Would not surprise me if the NRL allowed this though. They appear to want and hide the quality away like it is a "business" threat to them. It is a " businiess " to them though. To most NSWRL fans, Rugby League is STILL a " sport " though.

I was there at that game as well in 06. But it was an NRL semi game.

there was the Prem Lge semi vs St George, then the JBC GF vs Sydney Bulls and then the NRL game.

As stated above the JBC has only ever been on NRL GF day once.

2 True Blues

Coach
I was there at that game as well in 06. But it was an NRL semi game.

there was the Prem Lge semi vs St George, then the JBC GF vs Sydney Bulls and then the NRL game.

As stated above the JBC has only ever been on NRL GF day once.

Now I am confused.

Beam was on grandfinal day in 2006. NSWRL was on grand final day in 2006. Then the NRL grand final took place.

That is all I know happened. Same day. Same place. :lol:

Roland

Juniors
In 2006 on second last week:

Newtown beat St George in P/L Preliminary Final
Bulls beat Newtown in JBC Grand Final
Melbourne beat St George in NRL Preliminary Final

Grand Final day:

Parramatta beat Newtown in P/L before Broncos beat Melbourne in NRL.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
In 2006 on second last week:

Newtown beat St George in P/L Preliminary Final
Bulls beat Newtown in JBC Grand Final
Melbourne beat St George in NRL Preliminary Final

Grand Final day:

Parramatta beat Newtown in P/L before Broncos beat Melbourne in NRL.

Penrith bt Newcastle in Flegg before Parra bt Newtown in 2006. Otherwise you are correct. JBC was held before the Storm/Dragons prelim @ Telstra the week before, Arrive Alive was on the Saturday before the Broncos/Bulldogs prelim.

Last edited:

Latest posts