What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grant Mayer quits Manly

gong_eagle

First Grade
Grant Mayer quits as Manly Sea Eagles chief executive.
By Dean Ritchie

June 17, 2009 03:00pm

Grant Mayer has quit as Manly Sea Eagles chief executive.

Months of bitter boardroom in-fighting finally took its toll with Mayer announcing today that he will officially leave Brookvale in mid-July.

Blog: Phil Rothfield rates the NRL's CEOs

Mayer's decision will be ratified at a Manly board meeting tonight.

Asked would he join Parramatta, Mayer said: "Speculation that I will re-appear at another club is off target - I have no intentions of joining another club at this stage."

There has been no decision of Mayer's successor

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25649894-5001021,00.html

t-ba

Post Whore
Sigh. This is bigger than Brett Stewart for the club in the long run. Mayer dragged this club out of the mire ffs. Sure, Delmege saved it, but Mayer made us a powerhouse. Not happy...

Patsy

Juniors
as much as i am disappointing that grant is leaving i am kind of glad this chapter is over so they can pick an independent ceo and move on from it

as much as i am disappointing that grant is leaving i am kind of glad this chapter is over so they can pick an independent ceo and move on from it

Sooner or later any new CEO will face the same issues whilst ever the current ownership structure remains as it is.

Im afraid this does nothing more than weaken the management of the club.

gong_eagle

First Grade
I was driven out: Grant Mayer

By Dean Ritchie | June 18, 2009
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,25652036-5006066,00.html

IN THE end, he could no longer work with Max Delmege. After nine months of bitter and ugly boardroom infighting, a fed-up chief executive Grant Mayer yesterday quit the Manly Sea Eagles.

His resignation was accepted at a Sea Eagles board meeting last night.

Mayer has negotiated a settlement and will stay on with the club for four weeks to assist the board with the transition to a new CEO. He has not applied for the vacant CEO positions at Parramatta or Cronulla.

Manly's board was split 5-2 against Mayer. He had unqualified support from co-owners Rick and Scott Penn but opponents in Delmege, Brett Delmege, Bob Reilly, Peter Bryant and Phil Dean.

The Daily Telegraph first broke the Mayer decision on its website yesterday at 3pm. By 4.30pm, members of Delmege's faction shut down Manly's website after fans flooded the forum criticising the decision. Scott Penn then demanded it be reopened.

A management committee has been formed to help find a new CEO and assist in running the club.

Manly Leagues Club CEO Peter Spray will become interim Sea Eagles CEO for the rest of this season.

The Daily Telegraph had lunch with Mayer yesterday and he revealed the reason he was driven out.

"The sad part is that this decision was based on politics, not performance," he said. "I can't help but take this personally - but no CEO can operate with a split board.

"(However) I can walk away knowing I have done my best for Manly and I think the results speak for themselves. My relationship with the chairman (Scott Penn) it seems has caused much of the political heartache.

"I'm sad but the ongoing boardroom issues have taken their toll on me and my family.

"Five board members decided I wasn't the man for the job and they made it quite clear they believe the organisation needs a change. I'm still not sure on what basis they've made this decision but I've no option but to accept five beats two every time."

Although Mayer won't admit it publicly, he simply could not work with the Delmege family. The Penns and Delmeges now must agree on a new CEO - that will be difficult.

Mayer took Manly from a $9 million business in 2006 to a $12.5 million business today, despite cuts in Leagues Club funding. He was under contract until the end of this season.

Asked whether he disliked Delmege, he said: "I don't dislike anybody . . . this is not personal.

"I always treated my job as a business. Merchandise has tripled and membership has tripled. And in terms of sponsorship dollars, Manly is rated No. 2 in the difficult Sydney market.

"I take great pride in that."

Manly coach Des Hasler, who was a staunch supporter of Mayer, was upset last night at the news.

He said: "Grant is a very good CEO. He has done a tremendous job.

"It is a real shame he has resigned. I'm disappointed he's going. He has runs on the board (with) premiership success and sponsorship."

Mayer said he was not interested in the Sharks or Eels jobs but would take his young family on a holiday.

"Speculation I will reappear at another club is off target . . . I have no intentions of joining another club at this stage," he said. "I intend to take four to six weeks off to give some time to my wife and three sons."

gong_eagle

First Grade
Egos not business ruled day at Grant Mayer quits
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25652145-5016307,00.html

IF ONLY they had a replacement CEO in mind and a business plan moving forward. But they don't.

The five directors who forced Grant Mayer to resign have finally won their petty battle.

Or have they?

Manly are now in a complete and utter mess.

Mayer took the club from a $9 million business to a $12.5 million business. He was the man behind sponsorship and recruitment.

Now Manly have been left high and dry. A club in turmoil.

And those who drove him out - Max Delmege, Brett Delmege, Bob Reilly, Peter Bryant and Phil Dean - have no idea what tomorrow will bring. That's because, simply, there is no plan in place. Manly are rudderless. These directors didn't have Manly at heart. They just wanted Mayer's head.

Well, last night they got that. But if the Sea Eagles collapse further into the mire, they only have themselves to blame.

It was a selfish decision, it was bitter and it was most certainly personal.

They will wake up this morning and probably puff their chest out when, in fact, they should all hang their heads in shame.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That's what you get when your clubs a plaything for rich boys! He seems a very good CEO and doubt it will be long before he is at another sports club somewhere. Is that 4 CEO's that have gone this season?
Mayer, Fitzgerald, Zappia & Longmuir?

Any decent candidates out there will have their pick of clubs!

Latest posts