What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grass roots

MKEB...

Staff member
Alright, most of us support the Warriors and Kiwis, what clubs in your area do you support...why?

I grew up in New Plymouth and played for Bell Block Marist it was 100 meters from my home, and that is who all the kids in my street played for.

I now Support Upper Hutt Tigers as I also live 100 meters away, we dont win much, but it is great standing around the sidelines watching

ozbash

Referee
Anyone except City Newton ! especially Northcote Tigers and Otahuhu Leopards.

Be interesting to who supports who here as I think most of us suffer from NRLitis.
?

JoeD

First Grade
Don't think I've actually ever watched a club game. Weekends too full as it is. My parents live 100 m from Otahuhu leopards.

_addict

Juniors
I'm a Northcote Tigers supporter. Hence may be biased when posts involve Nobby Locke, and also D Bhana and J Taylor in the Juniors.

I'm kinda glad this type of thread is put up. Although club level is not as sexy as the big show of the NRL, it is no less important.

JoeD

First Grade
So , by default does that make you an Oats supporter?

Yeah. If I had to pick a team it would def be otahuhu. Used to live there. My sisters, brother and parents live there and I work there.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Played for the Linwood Keas as a young fella, and made a comeback a couple of years back with the Marist Saints

Don't get to a lot of the games, but always try and make an effort to get along to the grand final

Taniwharau (Huntly) and The Mighty Mt Albert Lions

Try and get to games when in NZ (bloody hard being based on the Central Coast - NSW)

Love local League and used to go to at least 1 game a week over here (I coached JNR teams including my sons). This year he has started Union so I am more of a spectator.

WUP

MKEB...

Staff member
Just a heads up on how things are going in wellington at the moment.

Feel free to contribute other scores from your locale.

St George Dragons 24 V Upper Hutt Tigers 36
University Hunters 0 V Wainuiomata Lions 24
Petone Panthers 18 V Porirua Vikings 60
Te Aroha Eels 4 V Randwick Kingfishers 42

Porirua 19 pts
Randwick 17 pts
Wainuiomata 16 pts
Upper Hutt 12 pts
Te Aroha 10 pts
University 10 pts
Petone 8 pts
St George 6 pts

Intersting to note, three of the top four teams this year so far are from the Hutt Valley. Last years champs Te Aroha not doing so good so far but get the chance to join Upper hutt on 4th spot playing last placed St George; wheras Upper Hutt Play chart topping Porirua at Whakatiki Street Park in Upper Hutt. Meanwhile Randwick play university and Petone play Wainuiomata.

Meth

Staff member
Aranui Eagles. Prems and U-16's. We're doing well in both comps this year.

Evil_Mush

Juniors
My flatmate has just started playing league for the first time this year, for University Hunters reserve grade team in Wellington, so I guess I support them (the only low grade League I've been to watch).

He only gets 5-10 min stints on the wing, but has a couple of tries to his name so that's all good. Even though it's lower grade, there's still some big boppers in those teams! He's just a skinny fullah (though fit as a fiddle) but haven't seem him get smashed yet (I'm sure it'll come!!)

MKEB...

Staff member
The skinny white fella that plays FB for Uni in reserve grade has got some serious wheels.

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
Otahuhu Leopards.

Uncles, nephews, cousins myself included have all played for Oats. My brother who is still there playing topside.

ozenzud

Juniors
The local stuff is where it is at. I watch a minimum of 1 game of local league in Wellington a weekend, even if thats just juniors. The smell of linament and sweat, the sound of the hits, the cold, rain and wind. I never got to the NRL but played local footy and a bit of provincial stuff. So the local footy seems more real to me. Go the Hunters.