What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great article - how to win the turf war v NFL

Canard

Immortal
I think everyone in this thread is closer to agreement than some posters realise.

Noone thinks League is under serious threat from the NFL.

But the vast majority know that we deserve better in terms of coverage in both quality and content.

We've got a 1 Billion dollar product being covered with community radio production values.

Starkers

Bench
I agree. I'm more bullish about Rugby League and the NRL that I ever have been. It's sad to see Hayne go but that's life. The ARLC has 20 years of News Ltd molestation to unwind though, and it's going to take some time. Steady improvements are being made. We're getting more of our shit together every day.

goodplayer

Juniors
You think it's knee-jerk hyperbole to ask the NRL and channel 9 to deliver a product worthy of 2014?

Fact is, 9 is delivering a tv broadcast which hasn't improved in any real way since the mid 90s. SD, TV only, delayed broadcast, same head commentators (who are getting worse over time).

Fox is marginally better, but still seeks to protect their shrinking market rather than fully and proactively expand with the times.

There won't be a mass exodus of players or even fans - that would be hyperbole - but as time goes on and the EPL and NFL gain more fans, savvy NRL fans are seeing that the grass is greener on the other side.
Live, HD, professional internet broadcasts streamed from the other side of the world featuring international superstars.

The NRLs closest thing to international superstars can make more money and find new challenges playing Rugby in France or England. This will continue until Australian RL uses its considerable money, power and influence to lead international RL development rather than deliberately sabotaging it with rules stacked in our favour, little assistance to developing nations, and dragging out an overly long NRL season with no consideration for rep football.

This is why Burgess, SBW and Hayne have all left in one year. As fans, the best we can do is
1) constantly demand better from the NRL and its broadcasters
2) support international football in droves when given the chance
fully agree , very well said

It's laughable, doom days predictions have been trotted out continuously for the last 20 yrs & get lapped up by the morons.

Yes coverage coulld be a lot better ,but anyone with a brain can see why we are stuck with the deal we have.

It is because they looked to the future with the last deal & will be in a position to get what is good for RL not the broadcasters.

At least it is a change from the Sokka taking over crap we have been hearing for the last few weeks.

I am never surprised by how gullible some people are.
Aleague got massive crowds last 2 weeks , there biggest ever :(

T.S Quint

Coach
You think it's knee-jerk hyperbole to ask the NRL and channel 9 to deliver a product worthy of 2014?

Fact is, 9 is delivering a tv broadcast which hasn't improved in any real way since the mid 90s. SD, TV only, delayed broadcast, same head commentators (who are getting worse over time).

Fox is marginally better, but still seeks to protect their shrinking market rather than fully and proactively expand with the times.

There won't be a mass exodus of players or even fans - that would be hyperbole - but as time goes on and the EPL and NFL gain more fans, savvy NRL fans are seeing that the grass is greener on the other side.
Live, HD, professional internet broadcasts streamed from the other side of the world featuring international superstars.

The NRLs closest thing to international superstars can make more money and find new challenges playing Rugby in France or England. This will continue until Australian RL uses its considerable money, power and influence to lead international RL development rather than deliberately sabotaging it with rules stacked in our favour, little assistance to developing nations, and dragging out an overly long NRL season with no consideration for rep football.

This is why Burgess, SBW and Hayne have all left in one year. As fans, the best we can do is

This is a good post mate.
Hats off to you.

Rodney

Juniors
fully agree , very well said

Aleague got massive crowds last 2 weeks , there biggest ever :(

The A-league has a lot going for it in these first two weeks.
David Villa, a genuine superstar, is playing, Adelaide has had its derby moved to Adelaide oval , the Sydney Derby.
Measuring crowds off a portion of a season is a useless metric especially considering how the A-league packs its derbies in early.

Wait until the season's over and the dust has settled. 27 weeks is a long time.

DC_fan

Coach
The NFL is popular now but to think it's going to supercede league and have kids en masse choosing to play it is laughable and an embarrassment to anyone who believes it.

The world, especially the sporting world has become a lot smaller in the past couple of decades and its only going to get smaller.

As I said recently in another thread the NRL is no longer just up against other Australian sports like AFL, Soccer or Union it is also up against every sport in the world no matter where it maybe played. The sooner the NRL realises that the better.

Now in saying that American football is not going to move in here and take over the country in the next 5 minutes or even the next 5 years. Yes as you say the NFL is popular right now and probably will be more so now that its getting publicity with the Hayne move.

It will be interesting to see say in 20 years from now how things look.

Starkers

Bench
I think if the NFL was genuine about it's interest in Australia, NZ and the pacific islands, it would set up a serious academy somewhere in Australia, scout the best talent and offer scholarships. Then send them to the US. Without a strategy like that it's just going to be the occasional player who wants to try it.

And that's up against 16 NRL clubs, 18 AFL clubs, 10 soccer clubs, 10 S15 franchises and cricket across AUS/NZ who are all trying to do the same thing, allowing players to remain close to their families and earn a pretty decent living if they make it.

malleekid

Juniors
There are better formats than the Rugby club,which is nothing more than what its name suggest "club".Kafer annoys the tits out of me.It is still aPimm's club in my book.

You need a format with serious thinkers involving former players/coaches plus fan reps who can offer another perspective.Even audience question time.
Sterlo on Thursday nights is the best sports show on in Australia at the moment. Genuine analysis and decent interviews with players. More along the lines of this show would help.

Parra

Referee
Sterlo on Thursday nights is the best sports show on in Australia at the moment. Genuine analysis and decent interviews with players. More along the lines of this show would help.

Broaden your horizons. Sterlo is amateur hour. The name gives you a hint and the content reinforces it. It may the the best NRL show - but that is not saying much.

applesauce

Bench

Exactly!

And people on this forum think people will change from one extreme to the other (rusted on fans to hating the sport).

However, I think (and I find myself in this boat) that because of the superior coverage, analysis and availability of sports such as the NFL fans of the NRL will simply slip into a more casual fan role. They will only watch the big matches, be hard to sign up as members (because they see more value in GamePass et al.) and won't be buying NRL merch but their "new" teams kit.

The problem with the NRL over the last 15 years (which they are trying to remedy) is turning fans into members of their club. I think this will be a much harder sell if coverage, commentary and analysis is not significantly upgraded.

joshreading

Staff member
"unfortunately the atmosphere was better than the game"

There seems to be a disconnect between the story and the picture contained. Americans absolutely hype it all but that does not change the fact it is a slow game, tactical yes but slow compare to the constant action in RL.

I do think that the NRL need realise that the NFL's greatest threat will be if Hayne makes it. Then our rising young talent becomes easy targets. I hope the NRL is considering how to milk this as much as possible because whilst the game is often tedious, it's draw will often be the rising athlete.

grouch

First Grade
The commentary during the Samoa-England game yesterday is another prime example of the pathetic state of rugby league tv coverage. Fittler, Johns, Lockyer and whoever the main caller was (don't know his name). It was blokey, haphazard, poorly researched, littrered with errors, and worst of all: BOOOORRRIINNNGG. The game itself was fantastic, closely fought, some great play and brutal collisions, with a vocal crowd. But all of this was dampened by the lethargic 'who cares' commentary.

I mean, how many times can Andrew Johns say "how big is he??" before a producer at 9 pulls him aside and asks for some proper colour and analysis?

Perth Red

Post Whore
That was the most unprofessional embarrassing commentary for a "major" sport I have ever heard. It was just playing cringe worthy and any new person tuning in must have thought they'd tuned in to some amateur sport.