What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great night to pick your NSW side

caylo

Bench
Tolman ran for more meters than any other forward in the city vs country game.

Helps when you run it back off drop out and play 15 more minutes then the closest prop. I thought Toleman was good, but more a worker and would get dominated in the early encounter of origin. I would have him off the bench, in 2-3 years when he bulks up he will be briliant.

I thought Mannah and TTL were the strongest, tbh I didnt notice Galloway much but he was mentioned by quiet a few people so someone is going to have to miss out.

perverse

Referee
yeah, Aku struggled badly under the high ball tonight, as he tends to do from time to time. his other attributes are still worth it, in my opinion.

Mullen... yeah mixed night for him. his kicking game was excellent, and tries could have come from any of them. right on the money with all his kicks. didn't create much through the hands, but then i thought City's goal line defence was strong, and i didn't think anyone Mullen was servicing was doing much with it, either. if Soward is injured then Pearce and Mullen makes sense. if not, not sure.

skeepe

Immortal
yeah, Aku struggled badly under the high ball tonight, as he tends to do from time to time. his other attributes are still worth it, in my opinion.

Mullen... yeah mixed night for him. his kicking game was excellent, and tries could have come from any of them. right on the money with all his kicks. didn't create much through the hands, but then i thought City's goal line defence was strong, and i didn't think anyone Mullen was servicing was doing much with it, either. if Soward is injured then Pearce and Mullen makes sense. if not, not sure.

If Mullen directs a few of those kicks a little closer to the posts, he finds an unmarked Josh Dugan for an easy try. Took the wrong option at times but other than that I thought he was the best half out there tonight.

hellteam

First Grade
Hinchcliffe aye... I don't watch this city vs country rubbish, but is he really a chance of making nsw??? Surely there is better options, does he even make the storm nrl team?

abpanther

Staff member
I'm pretty sure Lewis will be fit for game 1, you would think if he's fit he's a certainty

Joker's Wild

Coach
Who needs Folau when you have Uate. >.>

lol Touché

Akus biggest flaw is his lack of skill under the high ball. He tends to over run where the ball is going to land then try to make up for it by extending his arms, which is not a good technique.

His power running is immense though. There is no other winger in the game I would back to get over the line with 2-3 defenders in front of them

Joker's Wild

Coach
Jennings has come right back into the frame for me

It's now clear as day that his nuffie team mates and coach at Penrith are suffocating him and pulling him down to their level.

Anyone talking up Hinchcliffe need to take a look at his poor dummy half service and reasses. You can get away with it at CvC level but against Qld it just won't wash

Jason Maher

Immortal
Whats your excuse for the first 8 rounds of the season?

Morris doesnt deserve to be picked. Gordon and Uate should be the wingers, unless Dugan is fullback and than it should be Hayne and Gordon.

No excuses mate, I just know how the selectors work. And haven't Queensland domninated us for 5 years by consistently picking the same team, even when players are out of form?

On reflection though (I wrote that before watching the City/Country game), I think Gordon and Uate's form might just be good enough for Morris to miss out, unless he puts in a couple of blinders in the next 2 weeks.

Anyway, my attempt at a team (what i think they'll go for):

1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Michael Gordon
3. Jamal Idris, if suspended then Jennings
4. Mark Gasnier
5. Akuila Uate
6. Jamie Soward, if injured then Mullen
7. Mitchell Pearce, and Gaba will storm Phillip Street, or whever the NSWRL is headquartered these days
13. Greg Bird
12. Ben Creagh
11. Paul Gallen (c)
10. Michael Weyman
9. Robbie Farah
8. Kade Snowden

14. No idea... maybe Dugan, or Gordon if they do pick Morris? Obviously Gidley if he was available
15. Luke Lewis, if unavailable then Scott
16. Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
17. Tim Mannah

edit: I always forget someone. Tolman will no doubt be there. I expect TLL then gets picked as the reserve back rower, and Lewis/Scott as the utility.

Last edited:

Noname36

First Grade
I actually thought Soward was by far the poorest of the 3 halves in contention, which surprised me.

I thought he looked good in a couple of sets when he linked with Dugan, and he made a nice break, but that was it really. His long kicking game wasnt really on, and they were obviously hinding him in defense for a lot of the game, but it still didnt really work. If they pick him for NSW then they're going to have to work something out there.
Pearce's passing game was fantastic, as was Mullen's kicking.

I guess I can't really blame Mullen for those sets on City's line, when as Vossy said, he was planting the kicks perfectly, Uate, Gordon and Morris just kept dropping them. Those sets would have all resulted in trys if the outside backs had a little luck with their hands.

I thought Uate and Gordon were pretty disappointing overall, but they're still the best wing options for NSW.

Last edited:

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Jennings - Wow you realise how badly utilised he is at Penrith tonight

It is amazing what competent halves can do. Playing outside Burns and Walsh is ruining Jennings career.

Also, it doesn't help when Waterhouse plays like a battering ram 5-10m from the touchline to give Jennings no space. 9/10 Waterhouse will get the ball too, as the halves are incapable of throwing the pass out the back or cutting Waterhouse out

Jennings has looked at his best playing outside Lockyer for Australia and in the All Stars game.

He is a rare talent who is being wasted under the current structures at Penrith. Hopefully the new Penrith Coach whoever it is makes it a priority to get Jennings involved in attacking plans with some room to move.

macnaz

Staff member
I actually thought Soward was by far the poorest of the 3 halves in contention, which surprised me.

I thought he looked good in a couple of sets when he linked with Dugan, and he made a nice break, but that was it really. His long kicking game wasnt really on, and they were obviously hinding him in defense for a lot of the game, but it still didnt really work. If they pick him for NSW then they're going to have to work something out there.
Pearce's passing game was fantastic, as was Mullen's kicking.

I guess I can't really blame Mullen for those sets on City's line, when as Vossy said, he was planting the kicks perfectly, Uate, Gordon and Morris just kept dropping them. Those sets would have all resulted in trys if the outside backs had a little luck with their hands.

I thought Uate and Gordon were pretty disappointing overall, but they're still the best wing options for NSW.

I agree totally on you rating of Soward, i thought he did some good individual things but apart from that he didnt seem to add much.

On another note. Wtf is with the Ben Creagh love affair every one is having. The guy is a failure at S.O.O level.

Last edited:

duck_dodgers

Juniors
assuming soward is goneski ...

hayne made 3 errors , 2 of which led directly to tries , in a tight origin contest you simply can't pick him . he's not the player he was 18 months ago and the worship of him needs to stop ... although the last bloke who questioned his form got the sack , lol .

if we could pick carney in last year's form we'd be certaintys (especially now that inglis is injured ) but fwiw

dugan
uate
idris
gasnier
gordon
bird
pearce
gallen
creagh
watmough
snowden
farah
galloway

hinchcliffe
learoyd lahrs
dwyer
hunt

Ladmate

Bench
My bolter is Dwyer. He was one of the best backrowers, and even though I think he is a year off, he can be a impact backrower off the bench for NSW.

Last edited:

MacDougall

First Grade
Jarryd Hayne - Improved after he had his face ripped apart. That's Origin style.
Akuila Uate - Explosive, game changing, super athlete. NSW needs some of what he has.
Jamal Idris - Big, monster, the counter-Inglis.
Mark Gasnier - Old hand, in great touch, knows what it's like for NSW to actually win Origin.
Josh Dugan - Rangy, Brett Mullins like player. Easily an Origin option on the wing.
Todd Carney - If NSW is serious about winning, we can't play nice and omit the guy based on his personal life. He is the best player NSW has and palms should be greased to get him there. Most likely will not play, so if fit KURT GIDLEY will start at 6, since Soward didn't take his opportunity with two hands.
Mitchell Pearce - More tenacious if slightly less skillful than Mullen, combinations with other players whether it's through the Roosters or at City. Good defender, decent service, ability to run at the line without fear. Moderately good kicking game. If Gidley plays at 6 he loses this position to Mullen.
Kade Snowden - Aggressive, old style, bonehead prop. Need more Snowden.
Robbie Farah - Leader, decent kicking game, excellent service, tireless defender, plays through injury. Doesn't hide from fights after starting them.
Aiden Tolman - Workhorse in defense and attack. Lacks spark but you don't need that in front rowers, all of them anyway. Need guys like Tolman there.
Greg Bird - Creative but extremely tough backrower. Sneaky and scheming and knows how to milk penalties. A pure jerkoff. NSW needs one at least. One that will actually swing punches anyway.
Ben Creagh - A good player, tough in the game, might melt when confronted with a fight, so let's hope he doesn't get in any. A good fringe running option and good defender.
Paul Gallen - Capable of running 300 quality metres in a game and tackling 35 times. Will appear all over the field. Must not overplay his hand too much.

Bench:
Michael Gordon - Can play anywhere from fullback to five-eighth. Is a fantastic goal kicker and won't just fill those positions, but actually play in them well.
Keith Galloway - Hits the line and makes another 5 metres almost every time. Invaluable when coming out of our own end. Aggressive and very big. Will revel in Origin.
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs - Big strong and fast for a big guy. Will make his presence felt when on the field. Knows how to put on a hit. Will do an admirable job in the backrow or in the front row.
Ryan Hinchcliffe - I wasn't totally blown away as many were last night. His dummy half service wasn't great but he put in a load of effort and when he ran from dummy half he was hard to handle. Is a good solid backrower and defends well. Will do well as back up to Farah and the backrowers if they need a break or are injured.