What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greatest Defensive Display of all time? *spoilers*

_Johnsy

Referee
A lot of people are using the "No Slater/Cronk" excuse to put down this effort, which is valid. In saying that, the Storm played very well and would have probably beaten every other side in the comp. They basically controlled the majority of that 80 minutes.

The no Cronk & Slater isn't an excuse. It's an effort to put it in perspective. Melbournes attack had two options only, short ball to brom & get a repeat set. This isn't diminishing Brisbane's defensive effort at all, just a touch of perspective.

I had no idea this very base, simple concept would upset so many.

_Johnsy

Referee
It was a great defensive effort by the broncos but not really sure what all the fuss is about. The roosters have done this regularly over the last 3 seasons, most successfully in 2013. St George did it equally well in 2010.

I can?t really say the Storm threw a whole lot at them though. They did force drop outs but didn?t really look like scoring in the 2nd half. They would have struggled to score against any top 8 side.

Valid point, not a single scored against the dragons in the second half of each game in the entire finals series.

Such a shame cronk was injured, or no-one showed Cartman Parker any respect that year.

Kiwi

First Grade
just as we head into a Friday game off the back of a Sunday game.. :crazy:
And we played Knights on a Monday, had 6 players play Origin on the Wednesday and then played the Raiders on the Saturday, all games being away games as well. No excuses made, all games won.

Big Pete

Referee
They have the players but nobody is stepping up and taking the reigns consistently.
I only saw a little bit of the game at the gym but that appeared to be the case against the Storm.
Still that's really the only thing that needs fixing for the Broncos.

This is why I'm not huge on Hunt replacing DCE for the maroons either because he'd be just as much of a gamble.

That's a really good assessment actually.

You're completely right and it will be the Broncos downfall in the bigger games unless they can work on it.

In fairness, both players have been progressing well through out the season. The longer this season goes, the more I get the feeling this is going to be a better chance than say 2016.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Round 28 2010 at CUA Stadium, Warriors 12 Panthers 6

12-3 penalty count to the Panthers, Shane Hayne must've been on their payroll that night, Warriors defended 59 tackles inside their own 20, Michael Luck finished with a tackle count of 62. Panthers dominated nearly every stat but the scoreboard.

Bronco18

Juniors
That's a really good assessment actually.

You're completely right and it will be the Broncos downfall in the bigger games unless they can work on it.

In fairness, both players have been progressing well through out the season. The longer this season goes, the more I get the feeling this is going to be a better chance than say 2016.

I think it'll get there - Hunt seemed to find space with each kick against Manly. Even though he had an average game against Melbourne his drop outs were pretty decent, the ones that Hunt took went the full 50 most times and he must have been tired as hell by that stage in the match.

It's still a flaw in his game (along with a sometimes sluggish left to right pass) but it's a far cry from where he was at the start of last year.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Round 28 2010 at CUA Stadium, Warriors 12 Panthers 6

12-3 penalty count to the Panthers, Shane Hayne must've been on their payroll that night, Warriors defended 59 tackles inside their own 20, Michael Luck finished with a tackle count of 62. Panthers dominated nearly every stat but the scoreboard.

This was the game that first came to mind for me. Absolutely incredible effort, I don't think we had the ball in the last 30 mins and were absolutely out on our feet.

But would I be so head-up-arse to suggest it's the best of all-time? Hell no. I'd just say it was a lion-hearted effort, not start a thread, and move on.

Evil_Mush

Juniors
I was on the road travelling with mates when that Warriors/Panthers game was playing, one of the greatest games I've never watched! Made for an excitingly tense car trip listening to that on the radio!

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
This was the game that first came to mind for me. Absolutely incredible effort, I don't think we had the ball in the last 30 mins and were absolutely out on our feet.

But would I be so head-up-arse to suggest it's the best of all-time? Hell no. I'd just say it was a lion-hearted effort, not start a thread, and move on.

Exactly mate, it was an awesome effort as was the Broncs this weekend. But to claim either as the greatest of all time is kinda arrogant and a disservice to every other similar effort that teams have put in over the years.

Foz

Bench
I saw Cronulla smash Parra 25-0 in 1978 or 1979.
Why was it a great defensive display?
Other than Parra were kept scoreless.
Parra had A backline that had Grothe Cronin Ella Glover And Sterling in it.
Think Gary Dowling was fullback and he was no attacking slouch.
Price Gerrard and Hilditch were amongst the forwards.
Only time Parra looked like scoring was when Grothe made one of those 50m and beat 4 player runs.Other than that can't remember Parra making a break in the game.

Glen

Bench
If rugby league only started in 2008 after Jason Smith retired then yea, we could put this match on the shortlist for greatest defensive display of all time

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Based on statistics especially possession and repeat sets.
It is one of the ,greatest defensive performances of all time.