What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greatest Defensive Display of all time? *spoilers*

Stranga

Juniors
Koribetie, Parker, Hodges, and Nikorima didn't play either. Laugh all you want that was an epic effort defensively.

Of course it was an epic effort, that's not why I'm laughing.

To call it the greatest defensive display of all time is ridiculous, hence the :lol: :lol:.

If Cronk and Slater did play? Then yeah sure, let's have a discussion.

Wizardman

First Grade
A lot of people are using the "No Slater/Cronk" excuse to put down this effort, which is valid. In saying that, the Storm played very well and would have probably beaten every other side in the comp. They basically controlled the majority of that 80 minutes.

Last edited:

lynx000

Juniors
It was good, but it shouldn't have been needed, the Broncos should have run up a score on Melbourne had they had any punch up front or line speed in defense, just made it really difficult for themselves by conceding 70m each set Melbourne had the ball, giving them a shot on their line each time.

Pretty much agree with this and it is an ongoing issue that has to be addressed if we are to be genuine contenders. Our line speed is pathetic at times, which consistently leads to us defending our line. We have done that well this year, but you cannot bank on it every game, someone will crack us if we persist in allowing teams to roll up the field against us. We are still lacking one big metre eating prop in my view. Blair is not doing that, but he is doing other valuable work.

lynx000

Juniors
And before I retire to my usual non-posting status, can I say what a player Cameron Smith is. Backing up from the origin, his two partners in crime missing, he carried that Melbourne side today and almost got them to a fantastic win. A fair percentage of that game he was playing hooker and half back. What an awesome player.

Walpole

Juniors
They're injured. Even if they had played, they wouldn't have been 100%. What could Cronk and Slater have done in our defensive 20 that would've been the difference? Munster served Slaters purpose fine and Hampton...Well yeah, he is no Cronk.

You bleed maroon and can't work out what Cronk and Slater would have done?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Just FYI, when the biggest one-eyed sycophant on the forum posts 'greatest defensive display of all time' a spoiler alert becomes null and void. We know you only goo over one side and one side only.

Canard

Immortal
FYI, why do you need a spoiler alert for a live FTA game?

For the 6 people that are waiting for the FOX replay?

whall15

Coach
Not even the greatest defensive display of the weekend. Parramatta's valiant performance against the Bye was vastly superior.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
FYI, why do you need a spoiler alert for a live FTA game?

For the 6 people that are waiting for the FOX replay?

Agreed, if people need a spoiler alert they shouldn't be on a league forum.

Amazes me the people who ring up sports radio stations and say YOU SPOILED THE SCORE FOR ME. You know, in the 21st century where everything runs live (apart from CH9s coverage)

BranVan3000

Coach
Not at all. Roosters have done this multiple times in recent years while keeping the opponent to nil. Souths too but not as frequently. And Storm have two of their three best injured so it's no surprise their finishing options came up short

Still a great display by Broncos though and the type of game that Premiers need to show on their resume

POPEYE

Coach
Haven't read any previous post in this thread but last night's game was the most inept attacking performance I've seen from a team that once routinely made defensive displays equal to the one in question. . . the Broncos are novices made look better by incompetence

Card Shark

Immortal
The Sharks were involved in some of the greatest defensive efforts of all time last year.

Geez, we held ourselves to zero on 4 or 5 occasions - a new record!

Bulldog Force

Referee
Brisbane just won a game of football with the whole world stacked against them. 60% possession at fulltime, lost the penalty count by 3 and 11 line drop outs. That's the stats that Melbourne had, and they lost by 2.

Just unreal.

No Slater, no Cronk - the Storms 2 biggest attacking weapons were out, and the Storms best players were still fatigued from Origin - granted that Brisbane players were too, but you can't say that it was the greatest defensive performance of all time given how flat the Storms attack was. Throw a team like the Roosters or Souths in there and they would've scored.

Kiwi

First Grade
We keep getting told week after week about how crap we are etc. Yet we just keep on winning and sit in equal first place after 15 rounds. Not bad for a bunch of so called novices.

POPEYE

Coach
We keep getting told week after week about how crap we are etc. Yet we just keep on winning and sit in equal first place after 15 rounds. Not bad for a bunch of so called novices.

Brisbane fully deserve to be where they are, just as the Dragons do, being a novice as a group is not derogatory

mxlegend99

Referee
Good effort to defend all those sets. But they conceded 2 tries, were playing a Storm side missing 2 of their top 3 players and conceded a shitload of 70m sets to be under the pump with those drop outs. Hardly a greatest of all time display.

It was an amazing effort without doubt. They defied statistics to win. But I think a full strength Storm side wins it comfortably regardless of who plays for Broncos. Slater and Cronk with that much ball in the opposition 20 are about as dangerous as it gets.

Kiwi

First Grade
No Slater, no Cronk - the Storms 2 biggest attacking weapons were out, and the Storms best players were still fatigued from Origin - granted that Brisbane players were too, but you can't say that it was the greatest defensive performance of all time given how flat the Storms attack was. Throw a team like the Roosters or Souths in there and they would've scored.
You can only play what's in front of you and we keep winning, even with our fair share of injuries and players out this year, including last night.

This year we have had through injury, being rested, rep duties or suspension Boyd, Kahu, Miranta, Nikorima, Dodds, McGuire, Thaiday, Gillett, Hodges, Parker, and Glenn all miss games. Yet we keep on winning, every team has players unavailable, the great teams cope, over come and move forward.

Latest posts