What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greatest Defensive Display of all time? *spoilers*

Kiwi

First Grade
Brisbane fully deserve to be where they are, just as the Dragons do, being a novice as a group is not derogatory
Sorry if I read that wrong, getting kinda use to comments being aimed at the Broncos this year being negative and very critical.

Danish

Referee
Roosters vs Manle, 2013, week 1 finals.

raped 12-5 in the penalties, 45% possession, 62% of the game in our half.

Result? 4-0 victory, without even conceding so much as a linebreak.

THAT, is a great defensive game. Not falling over the line against a team missing all of its attacking weapons

Kiwi

First Grade
Good effort to defend all those sets. But they conceded 2 tries, were playing a Storm side missing 2 of their top 3 players and conceded a shitload of 70m sets to be under the pump with those drop outs. Hardly a greatest of all time display.

It was an amazing effort without doubt. They defied statistics to win. But I think a full strength Storm side wins it comfortably regardless of who plays for Broncos. Slater and Cronk with that much ball in the opposition 20 are about as dangerous as it gets.
The same could be said if the Broncos had that much ball TBH. Both sides full strength with the Broncos getting 60% of the ball they win easily to.

The conceding 70m sets, when you are constantly defending, you tire and teams make in roads up the field easier, that's not rocket science.

Canard

Immortal
Roosters vs Manle, 2013, week 1 finals.

raped 12-5 in the penalties, 45% possession, 62% of the game in our half.

Result? 4-0 victory, without even conceding so much as a linebreak.

THAT, is a great defensive game. Not falling over the line against a team missing all of its attacking weapons

Whatever happend tu the grate Manle?

Bulldog Force

Referee
You can only play what's in front of you and we keep winning, even with our fair share of injuries and players out this year, including last night.

This year we have had through injury, being rested, rep duties or suspension Boyd, Kahu, Miranta, Nikorima, Dodds, McGuire, Thaiday, Gillett, Hodges, Parker, and Glenn all miss games. Yet we keep on winning, every team has players unavailable, the great teams cope, over come and move forward.

Granted you keep winning - how many other teams in the comp get an almost guaranteed 7 day turn around week in week out?

Kiwi

First Grade
Brought to you by the person who said that the only reason NSW won last year was because Cronk was injured
Cronk going down wasn't the only thing that cost Qld last year. Selecting DCE for gsme 1 injured and game 2 injured without a single training run cost Qld game 2. Had they played Hunt Qld probably retain the trophy.

It's not like the Storms kicking game was off last night. Yes Cronk would have definitely added to the side, so would have all the players missing from both sides. Parker plays 14 probably turns into 18, Blair drops back to the bench. End of the day both sides had big names out. Prefer to say great game from both sides yhough.

Valheru

Coach
It was a great defensive effort by the broncos but not really sure what all the fuss is about. The roosters have done this regularly over the last 3 seasons, most successfully in 2013. St George did it equally well in 2010.

I can’t really say the Storm threw a whole lot at them though. They did force drop outs but didn’t really look like scoring in the 2nd half. They would have struggled to score against any top 8 side.

Last edited:

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
Brisbane had a 2 game streak in late 2006 where they kept the bulldogs and parramatta to 0 in consecutive games, I'd say that was a better defensive effort.

Still credit where it's due, 11 dropouts, 60 something tackles in their 20, a whole myriad of other stats which show Melbourne's superiority on the field ... except where it counted.

Bennett has the touch man, I don't know what happened in Newcastle but he's still got it.

Kiwi

First Grade
Granted you keep winning - how many other teams in the comp get an almost guaranteed 7 day turn around week in week out?
Blah blah blah. .. It's not our fault win lose or draw the Broncos are the biggest tv rating team in the comp and channel 9 would show all.our games Friday nights if they could. Hell Broncos prefered slot is Sunday at home and we're lucky if we get one of them a year. Keep trying to find excuses while we'll just keep moving forward

Kiwi

First Grade
Brisbane had a 2 game streak in late 2006 where they kept the bulldogs and parramatta to 0 in consecutive games, I'd say that was a better defensive effort.

Still credit where it's due, 11 dropouts, 60 something tackles in their 20, a whole myriad of other stats which show Melbourne's superiority on the field ... except where it counted.

Bennett has the touch man, I don't know what happened in Newcastle but he's still got it.
Look at the basket case the Knights are this year. Bennett can't be blamed for that.

saint.nick

Coach
A lot of people are using the "No Slater/Cronk" excuse to put down this effort, which is valid. In saying that, the Storm played very well and would have probably beaten every other side in the comp. They basically controlled the majority of that 80 minutes.

No use controlling the 80 minutes if you can't do anything useful with the ball. They didn't have a lot of imagination.

Kiwi

First Grade
No use controlling the 80 minutes if you can't do anything useful with the ball. They didn't have a lot of imagination.
How much of that can be credited to the defense? Good strong defenses frustrate attacks, and when that happens alot of the time you start to see stupid plays, an attack that looks like it has nothing etc.

gUt

Coach
Happy to note that there were two very good games of rugby league in Melbourne last week. Over 100k punters through the gates to watch them as well.

saint.nick

Coach
How much of that can be credited to the defense? Good strong defenses frustrate attacks, and when that happens alot of the time you start to see stupid plays, an attack that looks like it has nothing etc.

Depends on the game man. St.George in some games in the past couple of years used to spend the whole 80 camped at the opposition's end at the field and still lose because they were devoid of any imagination and threat. If Slater and Cronk played, they would have had a lot more expertise to take advantage of a very tired Broncos team.

In rd1 we spent nearly the whole game attacking the Storm's tryline, but we lost because we couldn't do anything with the ball.

redvscotty

First Grade
Last night was one of the only times you'll ever see my cheering on the Broncos (that's how much I loathe the Storm) but I was, purely because tipping.

Sensational effort, and well done to them. Absolutely killed it in defense and deserved to win two games given the amount of tackles they made.

Today is a new day though, f**k those merkins. Hope they lose every game for the rest of the season.

Brisbane defended exceptionally well yesterday, no doubting that, especially in the second half.

However, greatest defensive display of all time? :crazy:

In my opinion had Cooper Cronk been fit and able to play it may have been a different result. The Storm looked bereft of ideas other than grubber kicks for much of the game. Some of their players looked like they had no idea how to do anything other than do a little side step and run. Rarely did anyone run hard and straight, no variations in passing, no inside passes, let alone the old draw and pass.

Shorty

Staff member
Unfortunately Hunt wasn't that great for Brisbane and has a habit of being found out in big games like this.

Brisbane aren't exactly struggling when it comes to halves replacements either. The likes of Taylor and J. Nikorima are dying for a taste of first grade. Both combined extremely well to put 74 points on the Storm NYC side and they're easily the best halves pairing coming through.
They have the players but nobody is stepping up and taking the reigns consistently.
I only saw a little bit of the game at the gym but that appeared to be the case against the Storm.
Still that's really the only thing that needs fixing for the Broncos.

This is why I'm not huge on Hunt replacing DCE for the maroons either because he'd be just as much of a gamble.