What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greatest NRL game ever?

Lambretta

First Grade
2003 GF should always be mentioned in this type of conversation.

I'm a Roosters fan, so I have few reasons to love that one, but agreed 100%
The defence and level of intensity in that game was unbelievable

The Panthers won most games that year simply by outscoring the opposition
They threw the ball around without a care in the World and made loads of errors, but they made up for them by being brilliant in attack

Come Grand Final Day, had they played that sort of football against the Roosters they would have been slaughtered, But they changed everything that day and became a team that didn't put a foot wrong. They hammered the Roosters in defence and gave away absolutely no field position.

They pinned the Roosters back on their own line for much of the game and ground the Chooks into the ANZ turf. They backed each other in defence and were ferocious in doing so. Priddis was amazing.

Then in attack they just kept on hammering the Roosters until they got the breakthrough they needed

THAT tackle by Sattler was amazing, not just because a 2nd rower ran down a winger, but because that turned the game. Roosters score and they get level and you got the feeling they would come over the top. But that tackle saved the Panthers and once Priddis threw that pass to Rooney out wide for the 18 v 6 scoreline you could see the Roosters were broken.

On that pass - it went over Walkers hands. Had Walker caught it, he had a clean run at the Panthers line. I know he was on his own try line but he was that fast no one would have caught him. Not even Wesser.

Great game.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I’m always surprised that the roosters manly 2013 gf doesnt get more recognition. Had it all. 2 top quality teams. Quality game. Come from behind win. Penalty try. SBW. Jennings try. Just wow. Might watch the replay again.
Storm Souffs last week was one of the best games I’ve watched as a neutral.
Agreed. I'm not even biased when I say that the 2013 is hands down the highest quality GF I've witnessed since at least 2003.

It was a great game that had everything between two very high quality teams.

That Manly side is one of the best losing Grand Finalists I've seen. They had an amazing attack with the likes of the Stewart Bros, DCE, Foran and Lyon in great form and we had to be at our absolute best to mount that comeback.

The crowd atmosphere was awesome too considering it was contested by two of Sydney's smaller fan bases.

Tommy Smith

Referee

They threw the ball around without a care in the World and made loads of errors, but they made up for them by being brilliant in attack

Come Grand Final Day, had they played that sort of football against the Roosters they would have been slaughtered, But they changed everything that day and became a team that didn't put a foot wrong. They hammered the Roosters in defence and gave away absolutely no field position.

They pinned the Roosters back on their own line for much of the game and ground the Chooks into the ANZ turf. They backed each other in defence and were ferocious in doing so. Priddis was amazing.

Then in attack they just kept on hammering the Roosters until they got the breakthrough they needed

THAT tackle by Sattler was amazing, not just because a 2nd rower ran down a winger, but because that turned the game. Roosters score and they get level and you got the feeling they would come over the top. But that tackle saved the Panthers and once Priddis threw that pass to Rooney out wide for the 18 v 6 scoreline you could see the Roosters were broken.

On that pass - it went over Walkers hands. Had Walker caught it, he had a clean run at the Panthers line. I know he was on his own try line but he was that fast no one would have caught him. Not even Wesser.

Great game.
I was at the game. Made the trip from Qld as a 17yr old; fully expecting a Roosters win. But congrats to Penrith; one of the most complete GF performances of all time. They beat an absolute gun Roosters side and were themselves one of the best pure footy sides I've seen - natural instinct all across the park.

It was an amazing atmosphere too; and the rain added to the theatre.

Btw the Sattler tackle came with the scores locked at 6 all. It was such a clever piece of play by Freddy and had Byrne scored I believe we win.

horrie hastings

First Grade

Great game.

While agree with your summation about the game the scores were actually 6-6 when Sattler made the tackle on Skinny Byrne so it would have put the Roosters ahead had he scored, not drawn level.

Lambretta

First Grade
While agree with your summation about the game the scores were actually 6-6 when Sattler made the tackle on Skinny Byrne so it would have put the Roosters ahead had he scored, not drawn level.

Ahh, my bad - then even more likely a game changer
I was a bit errrm skatty that day ahem

axl rose

Bench
Cowboys in their own 30 metre area - Hunt does the only spear tackle of his career.

I remember Gary Larson getting sent off for a spear tackle in a semi vs Raiders. He would not have a had a single other discretion in his whole career. Sometimes it's not meant to be.

I know it's not NRL, but the 2001 Qld Cup grand final was the first game that came to mind as a standout game (Toowoomba scoring next to the posts to level it against Redcliffe at Dolphin Oval, then kicking the goal after the siren to win), followed by the 2004 Qld Cup grand final (Burleigh beating Easts after nearly 20 minutes of extra time).

As for NRL, the Broncos-Knights game in 2002 at QEII (ANZ Stadium) stands out as one of the best full games I can recall. The Broncos had struggled to beat the Panthers (who were last in 2001 and hadn't won a game to date in 2002) the week before and then managed to beat the Knights (who were the premiers & undefeated to date in 2002) the following week. I think Andrew Gee kicked a 40-20 that night??

You've got a great memory mate, I went to two of those games that you mentioned and brought back memories. I remember Easts scoring off the biggest forward pass I had ever seen not get called back. That was a shocker. Darren Smith and Steve Renouf both playing for Easts that day.

Broncos/Knights 2002 was one of my fave games ever. Andrew Gee 40/20 was incredible, from memory I believe it came just after the turning point where Gordy got sin binned and the crowd cheered him like a god off the field and the boys lifted to come from behind. Michael Devere was great that night.

ek999

First Grade

Great game.

I was at that game as a neutral and it was amazing. One thing that always stood out to me was they showed Minichello and Preston Campbell on the screens before the match. Mini did not look call at all and Campbell was smiling and waving at the camera. It was from that moment that I thought Penrith would win

King hit

Coach

It was a great tackle by Sattler but I feel it's over exaggerated when it's brought up. Byrne was never known for pace and he was half running and stumbling and Sattler was hanging around in backplay and had Byrne eyed down the whole way. I personally find Darren Albert's potential match saver in 1997 a better tackle than Sattler.

Cockosh

Juniors
It was a great tackle by Sattler but I feel it's over exaggerated when it's brought up. Byrne was never known for pace and he was half running and stumbling and Sattler was hanging around in backplay and had Byrne eyed down the whole way. I personally find Darren Albert's potential match saver in 1997 a better tackle than Sattler.
I was up in the nose bleeds on half way line and from the moment Byrne got the ball I though Sattler would get him. byrne scores that we win. I’ve never forgiven him. Great game though.

King hit

Coach
I know it's not NRL, but the 2001 Qld Cup grand final was the first game that came to mind as a standout game (Toowoomba scoring next to the posts to level it against Redcliffe at Dolphin Oval, then kicking the goal after the siren to win), followed by the 2004 Qld Cup grand final (Burleigh beating Easts after nearly 20 minutes of extra time).

/QUOTE]

Great post, I loved watching Toowoomba play in the QLD cup. Got great memories of heading out to CB stadium and watching the Clydesdales. Haven't cared about it since they dropped out. It's a travesty Toowoomba aren't represented in the ISC.

Valheru

Coach
I was at the game. Made the trip from Qld as a 17yr old; fully expecting a Roosters win. But congrats to Penrith; one of the most complete GF performances of all time. They beat an absolute gun Roosters side and were themselves one of the best pure footy sides I've seen - natural instinct all across the park.

It was an amazing atmosphere too; and the rain added to the theatre.

Btw the Sattler tackle came with the scores locked at 6 all. It was such a clever piece of play by Freddy and had Byrne scored I believe we win.

I was also a plucky 17 yr old at the time and it is the only roosters GF in my life time i have missed live as i was in japan on student exchange at the time. Obviously social media wasn't what it is today and it took me a good 12 hours post game to get the result. I was absolutely expecting a win and was bewildered we didn't.

Ended up watching the replay when i got home and it was a great game. We win that match if Byrne scores, no doubt in my mind about it.

This thread would be so much better if it was
The best game you watched as a neutral .
Without any emotional involvement .
ATM ..it's ..this game my team was in ..so much bias .

The 2010 final TIGS V ROOSTERS is probably the best I've watched .
Was at a 40th birthday at the Golf club .
Was watching .... me & about 5 others .( tv was inside ..party on the deck)
Slowly more & more people as they went inside to get a drink didn't go back outside .
Time for a speech & there's about 6 people left out of 60 outside .
Everyone else was inside glued to the tv .
No chance of anyone going back outside .