What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greatest NRL game ever?

Wests is Best

Juniors
the 89 GF-Raiders v Tigers.
2nd Test-Old Trafford 1990.
97 GF for the win in the last ten seconds.
2016...'cause...Sharkies.
any Anzac Day game between Dragons and Roosters.

the 2nd test old trafford in 1990! what a game. When I see the kangaroos match winning try even now, the hairs on my back stand up. I saw it live on tv and Ill never forget that match

the 89 GF-Raiders v Tigers.
2nd Test-Old Trafford 1990.
97 GF for the win in the last ten seconds.
2016...'cause...Sharkies.
any Anzac Day game between Dragons and Roosters.

Technically its not an NRL Game but that Old Trafford Test 1990 is hands-down the best game of League I've ever seen. It had absolutely everything. If any of you haven't watched it - somehow try and find a place get get hold of it for a look..

And what a surprise Sharks fans are lobbing in Dragons losses on this thread... ah all is still normal in the world, very comforting..

As for NRL (ARL, NSWRL etc etc).
2 games spring to mind for me.
Best game - Anzac Day 2012 Dragons Roosters. Full house at the SFS - high quality football and one of the most dramatic wins with two tries in the last 90 seconds. Yes it was by my team so a bit biased.

Best atmosphere by the length of the straight - Tigers Dragons Semi final at the SFS 2005. I've never ever been to any sporting event that even comes close to the atmosphere of that game. I've heard many journos and folk who were there try to describe it in words but simply put..

The SFS was heaving.

Yep the Dragons lost but even outside after the game - all the Tigers fans I saw were so ecstatic but humble shaking the hands of the dragons army of supporters.. Knowing we'd all experienced an epic event. As gutted as us Dragons fans were, there was no bitterness or angst in the crowd leaving the ground.

Funny that after that game - I've had a soft spot for the Tigers, great respect.

Agree. Better than 2015 imo. 2015 had an amazing finish but mainly consisted of brisbane throwing away a premiership before scapegoating a young halfback who was a huge reason why they got there.
The 2010 prelim was an intense, tough game of football. I was convinced the tigers were going to score in that last play. That 2011 (?) semi when the warriors rolled the storm in Melbourne was a great game of footy too

Yeah hutty good point re 2010 semi - I was on the southern end of the Western Grandstand nursing a broken hand the size of a christmas ham (from playing cricket earlier that arvo - but still I caught the ball... anyway..). But no way I was gonna miss the match.

Watching big Saucehead Keith Galloway bumping his way downfield with seconds to go then into space, my heart nearly exploded, thought they'd get us for sure again. But wasn't to be and we got through to the GF.

Similar to my post above re 2005 - all the crowd I saw had great respect for each other leaving the ground afterwards.

Bronco18

Juniors
This is not fan boi’ing but the 2015 GF, people have to remember it was a hot motherf**king evening, the speed that the game was played in the first half, the players would have been knocked up deluxe in the 2nd half (I was sweating my ass off in level 2, god knows how the players felt).

The first half was epic, length of the field try, try off a scrum set move, try from a JT error, try from Granville sleight of hand 2m out.

2nd half was complete gripping viewing topped off by the amazing ending. The other thing is there was some massive hits and the game was played in the right spirit. There was none of the f**king grubby rubbish seen last night by both teams trying to get square or lay down for a bullshit penalty. I rag on Brisbane like the next man but the way which both NQ and Brisbane play the game against one another is an example to the rest of league how it should be done.

Every game since the GF between them has been amazing as well. Best rivalry in the game at the moment hands down.

Not playing down the game, but I think the most of the ensuing games were better quality football - the best probably being the extra time semi final (damn Thaidays miss on Thurston!). We’re really spoiled to experience an era where each game has been so close.

Bronco18

Juniors
Bennett should get 100% of the blame for losing that game for the Broncos. There's still some dopey Broncos fans up here in Brisbane who blame Hunt but the Broncos had that game won if they didn't put the cue in the rack with 20-25min to go.

Bennett does deserve a good deal of blame there, absolutely. But you’re playing down just how atrocious Hunt was in the dying minutes.

Cowboys in their own 30 metre area - Hunt does the only spear tackle of his career.

Milford makes a break that should seal the game - Hunt gets the ball stripped 1 on 1.

And then THAT drop.

mozza91

Coach
The 2015 was a quality game no doubt. But the Broncos/Cowboys have had better games before and since then.

axl rose

Bench
Yeah hutty good point re 2010 semi - I was on the southern end of the Western Grandstand nursing a broken hand the size of a christmas ham (from playing cricket earlier that arvo - but still I caught the ball... anyway..). But no way I was gonna miss the match.

Similar to my post above re 2005 - all the crowd I saw had great respect for each other leaving the ground afterwards.

I was there, 75 odd thousand. What an atmosphere. They had the Tigs and Saints fans split on one side of the ground and it looked great. Pity about the result, the GF winner was always going to come from it. If only Tigers teams weren't so inept a few more of those matches would give the lacklustre finals a boost.

Valheru

Coach
We actually did really well in that semi to even be in it. Lost 3 guys to injury, including Benji and Ellis who were our best 2 players, so over 105 mins or whatever it took its toll. Still all heighno had to do was fall on the fcking ball and we win.

Agree re the GF, Saints first 40 mins in the GF was horrible. I’m confident we would have lead by more then 2 which is all the roosters lead by.

I was thinking about this the other day but i reckon under the current finals system you guys get to the GF and perhaps win it.

You would have dusted penrith in the 2v3 match which then means you avoid the chooks (your bogey team) and dragons until GF.

Dragons would have beat us in prelim and i can't see you guys having any issue disposing of GC in prelim.

Of course we would have been ripped off of one of the all time great semis though.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Watching big Saucehead Keith Galloway bumping his way downfield with seconds to go then into space, my heart nearly exploded, thought they'd get us for sure again. But wasn't to be and we got through to the GF.

Beau fcking Ryan. 2nd tackle, 30m out and he kicks it to no one. There was 27 seconds left when Boyd took it dead. If Ryan took the tackle I have no doubts Benji pulls something out of his arse and wins the game. Merkin should have been shot.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Just some worth mentioning:

2015 Grand Final
Roosters - Tigers 2010
Storm - Broncos 2008
1999 Grand Final

There was also a game between the Roosters and Warriors a few years back now that was a cracker, can’t remember what year it was tho

The Roosters Warriors game I think you mean was 2007, 31-all. You're right, it was an absolute classic. This one - https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/nrl-2007/round-21/sydney-vs-warriors/summary.html

But I'm going to go for 2008 GF, and I don't even like Manly. It gets better as the years go on, at the time we didn't even appreciate how f**king great it was.

2003 GF should always be mentioned in this type of conversation.

I was at that game, a neutral fan watching in the rain. Great game, but I more remember that night for hitting the cross afterwards with my boss at the time and having my first ever experience at the brasses..

Latest posts