What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greatest NRL game ever?

firechild

First Grade
This is not fan boi’ing but the 2015 GF, people have to remember it was a hot motherf**king evening, the speed that the game was played in the first half, the players would have been knocked up deluxe in the 2nd half (I was sweating my ass off in level 2, god knows how the players felt).

The first half was epic, length of the field try, try off a scrum set move, try from a JT error, try from Granville sleight of hand 2m out.

2nd half was complete gripping viewing topped off by the amazing ending. The other thing is there was some massive hits and the game was played in the right spirit. There was none of the f**king grubby rubbish seen last night by both teams trying to get square or lay down for a bullshit penalty. I rag on Brisbane like the next man but the way which both NQ and Brisbane play the game against one another is an example to the rest of league how it should be done.

Every game since the GF between them has been amazing as well. Best rivalry in the game at the moment hands down.
Clearly no bias at all.

Also, there is still more fire in a Melbourne v Manly game than Brisbane v Nth QLD.

horrie hastings

First Grade
As already mentioned before the Roosters vs Tigers semi from 2010 is hard to beat, that game had everything.
Roosters vs Broncos from 1996 was a classic and not because of Andrews Gee's incorrect tap to give the Roosters the win but because of the great play from both sides through out the whole match, Alfie Langer being pulled down inches short of the line with about 7 minutes to go which would have won the game for the Broncos then a couple of minutes later where Andrew Walker shaped to kick but instead passed it out to Darren Junee who went up the sideline and chipped over the top to regather and score a remarkable try to level the scores with minutes remaining.

The greatest game of all time was the second Test between Great Britain and Australia in 1990. It was won in the final minute after Ricky Stuart dummied and broke the GB defence 10 yards out from his own line and ran 70 metres before passing to big Mal Meninga, who scored. But the greatest try of the game was scored by Cliff Lyons, after the ball went through multiple sets of hands from the left side to the right, ending up with winger Andrew Ettingshausen, who was cornered by the GB defence, but managed to kick brilliantly to the try line for Lyons to gather and score.

The second greatest game of all time was the 1989 Grand Final between Canberra Raiders and Balmain Tigers. Mal Meninga was a key player in that game as well.

Last edited:

PenrithWelsh

Juniors
As far as NRL games go I really enjoyed the Roosters vs Tigers finals game in 2010, as well as the Panthers vs Raiders game later that night.
For rugby league in general I really enjoyed the 2017 World Cup final, games with a great defensive display such as that really stand out to me. The biggest play of that game for me was the Dugan ankle tap at the end.

Cockosh

Juniors
We really are spoilt when you realise how many classics games mentioned here you’ve actually forgotten.
I was lucky enough to be at the roosters tigers 2010 semi. I left the ground emotionally drained but ecstatic. Just amazing. Nothing comes close for me.
Roosters manly 2013 semi 4-0.
I’m always surprised that the roosters manly 2013 gf doesnt get more recognition. Had it all. 2 top quality teams. Quality game. Come from behind win. Penalty try. SBW. Jennings try. Just wow. Might watch the replay again.
Storm Souffs last week was one of the best games I’ve watched as a neutral.

President Trump

Juniors
2016 Grand Final. We will never see a match with the same atmosphere ever again.

Another favourite: 2002 Cronulla v Newcastle 64-14 where Johns gets schooled.

Valheru

Coach
I’m always surprised that the roosters manly 2013 gf doesnt get more recognition. Had it all. 2 top quality teams. Quality game. Come from behind win. Penalty try. SBW. Jennings try. Just wow. Might watch the replay again.

This one doesn't get the love it deserves because it was the year before the 2014 souths wank fest and 2 years before the Cowboys/Brisbane golden point game. It's a shame because as an 80 minute contests it was far superior to both. Everyone knows the 2014 GF wasn't a good contest and the 2015 GF was utterly boring until the last few minutes. The finish will always be legendary but the quality and intensity for 80 minutes was nothing on 2013.

As far as GFs go, IMO 2013 is the best one since 2003. I am sure sharks fans will say 2016 was and it was a high quality game but sharks really should have blown that out and it was extraordinary defence from the Storm which prevented that.

Other than 2013 and 2016 it is slim pickings for classic GFs since 2003. 2004 was close but error riddled and 2009 was good but forever marred by the storm cap scandal. 2005 was good but one way traffic for the most part. 06-08, 10-12, 14 and 17 were boring unless you supported the winners.

King hit

Coach

One of my favourite games to watch, has everything a classic Rugby League game would have. Tight hard passages, breathtaking tries, when it looks like the Bears will deny the Magpies the boys from the West keep coming back hard. Level with a minute to go and who will ever forget Willis' 52 meter thump for glory that only just makes it.

Unforgettable stuff

great video, geez rangers could still go then couldn't he

how about dogs v eels 1998 semi final. I know eels fans will hate it but from the 70th min onwards it's the most epic comeback I can remember. 18-2 with 10 to go and the dogs win. still gives me heart palpitations 20 years on

King hit

Coach
great video, geez rangers could still go then couldn't he

how about dogs v eels 1998 semi final. I know eels fans will hate it but from the 70th min onwards it's the most epic comeback I can remember. 18-2 with 10 to go and the dogs win. still gives me heart palpitations 20 years on

The commentary makes it so much better. A minute before the comeback began the commentators started to talk about the grand final and what the Eels chances were like. And you can't forget Sterlo's devastation.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So many great games.

Surprised the England v NZ 2013 World Cup semi hasn't been mentioned.

That whole WC was awesome.

The Q’land GF for me was hard to beat given the occasion. I also loved storm v Souths final this year, amazing tries, forwards hammering each other, down to the wire. Not sure you can ask for more from a RL game.

Big Salad

Juniors
I know it's not NRL, but the 2001 Qld Cup grand final was the first game that came to mind as a standout game (Toowoomba scoring next to the posts to level it against Redcliffe at Dolphin Oval, then kicking the goal after the siren to win), followed by the 2004 Qld Cup grand final (Burleigh beating Easts after nearly 20 minutes of extra time).

As for NRL, the Broncos-Knights game in 2002 at QEII (ANZ Stadium) stands out as one of the best full games I can recall. The Broncos had struggled to beat the Panthers (who were last in 2001 and hadn't won a game to date in 2002) the week before and then managed to beat the Knights (who were the premiers & undefeated to date in 2002) the following week. I think Andrew Gee kicked a 40-20 that night??

One of my favourite games to watch, has everything a classic Rugby League game would have. Tight hard passages, breathtaking tries, when it looks like the Bears will deny the Magpies the boys from the West keep coming back hard. Level with a minute to go and who will ever forget Willis' 52 meter thump for glory that only just makes it.

Unforgettable stuff

I was at that one, great game.