What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greenberg wants 2nd Melb team

greenBV4

Bench
Abit of a Shower Thought.
Say if the Comp did expand & Melbourne 2 was chosen as a new team. I wonder how a North Melbourne Bears side would go? Would the old north members support this?

There's a Werribee bears in the NRL VIC comp so maybe West Melbounre bears? Or even better would be Greater Melbourne, the stronger league areas down here are the west, outer north and outer south-east. Obviously still play games out of aami, maybe even with a game or 2 in Geelong.

They would probably need to train somewhere else though, I remember reading that aami is basically at capacity for tenants (storm, victory, rebels, demons, tennis vic and vic olympic council), maybe at the new RL centre of excellence in Broadmedows?

I think Bris 2, Perth and NZ 2 need to come first, probably even Adelaide, but with the population growth down here being set to overtake Sydney in the not-to-distant future a 2nd Melbourne team will eventually be something the NRL will want

Marlins

Juniors
There's a Werribee bears in the NRL VIC comp so maybe West Melbounre bears? Or even better would be Greater Melbourne, the stronger league areas down here are the west, outer north and outer south-east. Obviously still play games out of aami, maybe even with a game or 2 in Geelong.

They would probably need to train somewhere else though, I remember reading that aami is basically at capacity for tenants (storm, victory, rebels, demons, tennis vic and vic olympic council), maybe at the new RL centre of excellence in Broadmedows?

I think Bris 2, Perth and NZ 2 need to come first, probably even Adelaide, but with the population growth down here being set to overtake Sydney in the not-to-distant future a 2nd Melbourne team will eventually be something the NRL will want
A western Melbourne RL side, could possibly play out of the new stadium, being built for the Western United A League side.

greenBV4

Bench
A western Melbourne RL side, could possibly play out of the new stadium, being built for the Western United A League side.
it'd probably be perfect for lower drawing games if they were allowed to use it (its owned by the a-league or the new club, cant remember which), but its only 15k capacity, you'd want them to be aiming for higher than that

Perth Red

Post Whore
it'd probably be perfect for lower drawing games if they were allowed to use it (its owned by the a-league or the new club, cant remember which), but its only 15k capacity, you'd want them to be aiming for higher than that

1/2 the nrl’s current clubs drew less than 15k avg last season. You’d think that capacity would be good enough for a decade if not longer, there’s not that many RL fans in Melbourne.

greenBV4

Bench
1/2 the nrl’s current clubs drew less than 15k avg last season. You’d think that capacity would be good enough for a decade if not longer, there’s not that many RL fans in Melbourne.
I was kinda taking into account that if this were to happen, unless there is a major shake-up of the NRL it wouldn't be for years, probably even decades, and in that time I'd hope that our average would of increased and support for league down in Melbourne would have as well

But you're probably right, If a 2nd Melbourne club were to join now or in the near future, that western stadium would be perfect, with games vs storm and warriors at aami. The stadium looks pretty nice despite its lower capacity too

but if it were a "greater melbourne" team instead of a "western melbourne" you'd want it to be at aami so it was more central

blue bags

First Grade
very nice ideas. fantastic concepts
Melbourne bombers'

Melbourne monarchs

southern penguins'

southern seals

Melbourne 2 probably isn't that far off. Maybe 15 years. Colin Smith brought it up. Having a game each week in Australia's 2nd largest city would be great for RL. Of course it would depend on many factors lining up to succeed, but it's not as far-fetched as it sounds. My main concern is how many fans it will strip from the Storm. I think it would be wise to wait until the Storm have a few lean years, just to gauge how many fans stick around. If the Storm are still averaging 12,000 with a team that finishes bottom 4, over a span of 3 or 5 years, then a 2nd club wouldn't be the worst idea.

Maybe the ARLC could work with the owners of Melbourne City FC to form an allegiance between it and Melbourne 2 when it eventuates.

Melbourne Reds ideal,Daniel Andrews can be Chairman and PR marketing manager.
I'd laugh my guts out if Melbourne got a 2nd team and Perth was still teamless.

I honestly think Melb 2 offers more than Perth. The NRL is now a business, and demographics determine where teams are placed. Perth might be almost as big as Brisbane, but it's a dyed in the wool fumbleball city that's 6 hours away from the east coast. That forces it to play its home games on Saturday arvo and Sunday arvo. Unless there's a high ratings for them, Foxtel will not want to screen these games in prime time on the east coast. I can see players, especially older players who've had serious injuries and are battling chronic pain, not wanting to travel 12 hours on a plane each fortnight.

flippikat

Bench
Relocate Roosters to Melbourne........

My thoughts for Sydney right now would be:
* Roosters to relocate (Adelaide or Central Coast) - Souths becomes the Inner City-Inner West club.
* Manly to become a "whole of North Shore/Peninsula" club, or get replaced by Norths
* One of either Bulldogs or Tigers to relocate out of Sydney, the other to move to Liverpool or Campbelltown for the South/West.
* Dragons to base fully in the 'Gong. All home games there.