What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greenberg wants 2nd Melb team

Its an interesting one re Broncos attendance. whilst no other rugby (sic) club comes close it is also very unique scenario where you have a city of 2.5million people with one rugby club where either code of Rugby is the dominant sport. Pretty much every city in Europe football is the dominant code and the only other major cities Rl is dominant in have more than one club.
I cant really think of another one that comes anywhere close. If the answer is to dilute that unique scenario into 2, 3 or 4 clubs is an interesting test for the popularity of RL in Brisbane and how many people are genuinely crying out for an alternative club to follow there, I dont see a lot of public generated demand.
For a new club to generate an 18,000 avg attendance they will need a 25,000 capacity stadium at least (sold out games making up for the crap drawing games). You also get the sense we will be saddled with Broncos thurs night, Brisbane2 Friday night every week which isn't going to help their attendance growth.

Looking at the map you can get a 40min train from Logan to South Brisbane station then a 10min walk to the ground. I get that isnt going to be popular for weeknight games that dont finish till after 10pm! one of the blights of being so beholden to TV revenue.
Whats the chances of Qlnd Govt building a 25k stadium in Logan area?

For Redcliffe you can get Northgate to Milton in just less than 40min.

I think the reality is wherever they play most people are going to have to travel 30-40min or you are going to end up with Cronulla or Manly sized crowds if you become too suburban in mentality.
This is a very good post. The only part I disagree with is RU being as dominant as RL. Fumbleball and soccer have made huge inroads in the GPS schools that are the lifeblood for RU. Reds get as few as 10k or less at Lang Park and no one watches them on TV.

I think if the NRL were to add Brisbane 2 and Perth, with Bris 2 getting 18k and Perth getting 12k, then the game would be in a good place.

Any expansion into Brisbane and Perth must be based on the condition that both clubs break even from crowds that they're likely to attract. I'd go as far as to put it in writing that stadium rental is set at a rate that ensures Perth breaks even from 10k and Bris 2 from 15k. If the ARLC can get the QLD and WA Govs to agree to that then both teams will benefit the game. There is potential for the game to grow quite a bit in Perth if a team there is given support.

I like the idea of Bris 2 and, potentially Bris 3 if the maths add up, to be regionally based so they have a point of difference to the Broncos. If they were to have just 2 teams then one based at Nathan in the south-east, provided QEII Stadium is turned into a 35k seat boutique stadium, would produce a genuine rivalry and gives people from both sides of the city a chance to attend games.

The bus way is one lane each way, so at peak hour when people are heading home it can take ages to get from Mater Hill Station to the CBD as there are heaps of buses and lots of commuters.

Last edited:

Styles clash

Juniors
If the Bears were brought back in Sydney there'd be huge nostalgia/novelty driven support for them for a few years.

Given the speed our modern smart phone society goes through REMEMBER THIS??? I think the tap would be dry by the end of the first year. Once the olds get their North Sydney Oval nostalgia fix they're not coming back 11 times."It's just so much easier for Greg and I to watch at home with the traffic and parking these days..."

Last edited:

TheRam

Coach
Is it true that Melbourne had 3,000 juniors in 1995 and now only has 750 in 2020. Does anyone know if this is true?

If this is so, then title to this thread is a hilarious joke.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is it true that Melbourne had 3,000 juniors in 1995 and now only has 750 in 2020. Does anyone know if this is true?

If this is so, then title to this thread is a hilarious joke.

sadly we don’t know as the nrl no longer publishes measurable data in its annual report!
I very much doubt it though as there weren’t that many registered players in Vic in the 90’s, unlike WA that had around 10k.

TheRam

Coach
sadly we don’t know as the nrl no longer publishes measurable data in its annual report!
I very much doubt it though as there weren’t that many registered players in Vic in the 90’s, unlike WA that had around 10k.

Well I do remember that it was reported in the press years ago that there were 3000 registered players, but since say 10 years ago I can't remember seeing anything new.

But I was reading a newspaper article today and a reader commented on the 750 figure in 2020.

Like I said, if this is true, even if it is only kind of true, like say there were only 1000 players back in the 90's and now we have 750, it would be a massive negative and detriment to the games ability to grow in Victoria. To have gone backwards after all the money, exposure, super star players and success that the Storm have had in all the time that they have been there, my God! They have basically been a winning team from day dot. Not to have grown the junior development pie significantly down there would be tragic for the game and a very real and concerning threat to the Storms and games continual long term success and survival.

With the arrival of a new Brisbane expansion team from 2023 probably coming out of Redcliff, which is currently the Storms catchment area in QLD, it will be an ever shrinking player pool that they will be fishing in.

I hope V'Landys in partnership with the Storm has a plan to develop Victoria and mine it for junior development with a detailed and comprehensive plan. The $17m development in Broadmedows on its own isn't going to get Schools, Clubs and Councils outside of that very local area very interested in developing kids into rugby league players. A hell of a lot more will need to be done if we want to see real junior growth down there.

Perth Red, I know that that you are pissed with V'Landys and his refusal to look beyond the current States we already have, but it is getting a little tiring. We get it. Perth should be a market that we look at, but I can also understand V'Landys point of view too.

I think eventually we will have a Perth team, but first he wants to sure up an area that is a no brainer for networks, sponsors, talent and supporter base.

So please don't just swamp every thread or post with anti Vlandys rhetoric. I'm on your side with Perth expansion. We get it.

Who said anything about a second team mate?
Colin Smith also spoke about it at one stage. He said expand the NRL to 20 teams, split into 2 conferences of 10. Keep all the Sydney clubs in Sydney and not expand into regional areas, Adelaide or Perth. Bring in Bris 2, NZ 2, Bris 3 and Melb 2/PNG, in that order.

It seems the ARLC is following Colin Smith's advice. PVL bailed out the Sharks, has pencilled in Brisbane 2 for the 17th licence and, Abdo spoke about NZ 2 for the 18th licence.

If I was PVL and the ARLC, I would use Touch Football to grow the game around the country. It's safer than all the other codes of football and can be marketed under the banner of NRL Touch. It can be played by mixed teams from Prep through to Grade 12. It could be our answer to Auskick. I cannot see any reason why schools couldn't include it in their sports curriculum, especially if the ARLC teamed up with the Morrison Gov to promote it as a means of safely getting more kids physically active in a pursuit that brings the genders together. It would be a public relations winner and a real blow to Auskick and RU. It could also lead to genuine expansion in Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth.

If Colin smith thinks another club in melbourne is a viable idea then we should discount anything the lunatic has to say lol
What we should be doing is looking at how Melbourne identify unwanted juniors and turn them into superstars. If every team can do that then there will be plenty of talent for expansion.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well I do remember that it was reported in the press years ago that there were 3000 registered players, but since say 10 years ago I can't remember seeing anything new.

But I was reading a newspaper article today and a reader commented on the 750 figure in 2020.

Like I said, if this is true, even if it is only kind of true, like say there were only 1000 players back in the 90's and now we have 750, it would be a massive negative and detriment to the games ability to grow in Victoria. To have gone backwards after all the money, exposure, super star players and success that the Storm have had in all the time that they have been there, my God! They have basically been a winning team from day dot. Not to have grown the junior development pie significantly down there would be tragic for the game and a very real and concerning threat to the Storms and games continual long term success and survival.

With the arrival of a new Brisbane expansion team from 2023 probably coming out of Redcliff, which is currently the Storms catchment area in QLD, it will be an ever shrinking player pool that they will be fishing in.

I hope V'Landys in partnership with the Storm has a plan to develop Victoria and mine it for junior development with a detailed and comprehensive plan. The $17m development in Broadmedows on its own isn't going to get Schools, Clubs and Councils outside of that very local area very interested in developing kids into rugby league players. A hell of a lot more will need to be done if we want to see real junior growth down there.

Perth Red, I know that that you are pissed with V'Landys and his refusal to look beyond the current States we already have, but it is getting a little tiring. We get it. Perth should be a market that we look at, but I can also understand V'Landys point of view too.

I think eventually we will have a Perth team, but first he wants to sure up an area that is a no brainer for networks, sponsors, talent and supporter base.

So please don't just swamp every thread or post with anti Vlandys rhetoric. I'm on your side with Perth expansion. We get it.

thanks for the advice, but Ill keep putting out my opinion, apologies of you find it tiresome lol

re melbourne last count they had around 3500 registered players of both genders and all age groups. They have improved, we used to win the affiliate state cup every year in all age groups but now Victoria are better than us at U18’s and at open age mens it is very equal.

TheRam

Coach
Greenberg did, remember the name of this topic.... duh!

And that's an example of why he was a clown and isn't involved in the game no more. No one seriously is considering a 2nd Melbourne team for at least another 30 years.

mongoose

Coach
If Colin smith thinks another club in melbourne is a viable idea then we should discount anything the lunatic has to say lol
Didn't he recommend the NRL should be looking at Port Moresby for expansion? one of the most violent cities in the world, a city where Covid is probably running rampant

Didn't he recommend the NRL should be looking at Port Moresby for expansion? one of the most violent cities in the world, a city where Covid is probably running rampant
Do it's on par with Gold Coast?

There's lots of drug dealers and bikie gangs robbing, shooting and killing people down on the "Glitter Strip". I know of a person who was murdered down there last year.

Jamberoo

Juniors
thanks for the advice, but Ill keep putting out my opinion, apologies of you find it tiresome lol

re melbourne last count they had around 3500 registered players of both genders and all age groups. They have improved, we used to win the affiliate state cup every year in all age groups but now Victoria are better than us at U18’s and at open age mens it is very equal.
Where did you get those stats from?
There are about 100 teams, so that would be 1500 - 1800 players. A few more clubs up near the NSW border. Are you including touch?
https://www.playrugbyleague.com/Competitions/Association/nrl-victoria-18

Perth Red

Post Whore

Jamberoo

Juniors
page 31 of ‘16 annual report. After this they reported participation not registered players so hard to know how it’s gone in last 5 years.

https://www.nrl.com/siteassets/documents/nrl-annual-report-2016.pdf
League here is experiencing slow growth. There has been a new club join about every second or third year. Now 17 clubs. Unfortunately all clubs are in the outer suburbs and none within 15kms of AAMI Park so makes it difficult for half of Melbourne’s kids to play or even be exposed to club RL.
There was also a three team league around Ballarat, that folded in 2013.

Latest posts