What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged and released by Sharks

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The matter is stood over to early October 2008.
Bird is entitled to play in the remaining comp games and the semis. At this stage it is one persons word against another and it is up to the courts to decide what happened.
In the meantime the doctors will attend to the victim and hopefully she willsufer no permanent physical scarring or long time problems.

As for Bird, he must continue to train and keep his head down for the next month or so.

Most of the posters on this topic are hypocrites who care nothing for the welfare of the girl and are more interested in playing politics and ensuring the Sharks lose a playmaker before the semis. They are putting the welfare of their respective teams ahead of the victim..you should be ashamed of yourelves.

This has nothinh to do with the NRL at this stage as far contractual issues and other penalties..those issues will be dealt with after the courts have decided whether to proceed after early October 2008.

In the meantime the Sharks must keep the NRL appraised of any developments!

You're an absolute moron with nothing but the interests of the Cronulla club and defending a grub. These allegations are serious and he should be suspended EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY from the club. Players from other clubs have been sacked for less and this certainly isn't Bird's first offence - he's been involved in three incidents off the field this year alone!

seanoff

Juniors
Bird is entitled to play in the remaining comp games and the semis. At this stage it is one persons word against another and it is up to the courts to decide what happened.
In the meantime the doctors will attend to the victim and hopefully she willsufer no permanent physical scarring or long time problems.

As for Bird, he must continue to train and keep his head down for the next month or so.

Most of the posters on this topic are hypocrites who care nothing for the welfare of the girl and are more interested in playing politics and ensuring the Sharks lose a playmaker before the semis. They are putting the welfare of their respective teams ahead of the victim..you should be ashamed of yourelves.

This has nothinh to do with the NRL at this stage as far contractual issues and other penalties..those issues will be dealt with after the courts have decided whether to proceed after early October 2008.

frankly i don't give a rats bottom about Cronulla. But if you want them to lose all their sponsors and any likelihood of getting any others .

Sure let him play.

What he has allegedly done is way way way way beyond anything Carney might or might not have done. Many of his team mates would likely have trouble training or playing with him. Massive loss of respect. Never mind other guys in the comp.

I would imagine Cronulla and the NRL are trying to work out a way to have him de-registered immediately.

he has forgone any right to anything really.

Pass the Ball

Juniors

This post reeks of hypocrisy...

Feej

First Grade

Mate, I've been a Sharks supporter for close on 40 years, and I can't believe what you're saying.

To me, the club has no option other than to stand him down until this is dealt with. If he is found guilty, then he should be gone. Anything less than that is a joke.

This is bigger than whether we have him on the field or not for the rest of the year.

Patorick

Staff member
From a legal standpoint I don't think Cronulla can tear up his contract until he admits to what he has done.

Spike

First Grade
I can't see Bird being sacked unless one of two things happens. He's found guilty in court or if in fact he has committed the act, admits liability prior to the court hearing which let's face it, Bird is unlikely to do. Until then, it'll be business as normal in the same way Anthony Laffranchi and Michael Crockett's matters have been handled by their respective clubs.

God-King Dean

Immortal
sharko said:

:lol: I've always known you're a wanker, but you've outdone yourself.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
From a legal standpoint I don't think Cronulla can tear up his contract until he admits to what he has done.
Sure, but given the allegations and the seriousness of them, surely they can enforce a suspension of some description until the case is tried...
I can't see Bird being sacked unless one of two things happens. He's found guilty in court or if in fact he has committed the act, admits liability prior to the court hearing which let's face it, Bird is unlikely to do. Until then, it'll will business as normal in the same way Anthony Laffranchi and Michael Crockett's matters have been handled by the respective clubs.
Without knowing full details, this seems quite different to those other attacks. And in saying that I in no way am trying to decry the importance of any sexual assault, or any type of assault for that matter.

hitman82

Bench
I'd say they can legally get rid of Greg Bird already, from a bringing the game into disrepute angle. If the Police have stated Greg is actively trying to cover up information... not to mention witnesses reporting to the press about the night... he is already screwed IMO

bartman

Immortal
While I definitely see your point, they need to stop f*cking around, it's a vicious media cycle - the media build players up to celebrity status, thereby making it difficult for them to go out on their own whim as normal citizens do, and then the odd dickhead tries to rile them up, the media latch onto the event, and victimise the player. It goes on and on... although in this case it does appear that Bird is in the wrong - there are certain cases
A low life who glasses a woman/his girlfriend/anyone doesn't deserve sympathy.

Players "out on the drink" need to realise they are being paid megabucks in some cases (and above the average salary in all cases) and even when "not working" they still have a responsibility to represent their "employer" in the most positive light.

If that means not just being able to be an average yahoo down at the local pub (or the sapphire lounge) then that's simply the price they pay for the moolah and fame of their chosen role. They want the big bucks (and all of them do with their managers and contratc negotiations and the like) then it's natural there is some cost involved - it would be the same for any "professional" on that amount of money.

The media are f**ked - always have been, always will be - but let's not make out the players dfon't have a long way to go across the board, whether it's alcohol, attitudes to women, or just simple common sense and keeping clear of trouble on a regular Saturday night.

bartman

Immortal
They can make a choice to stand him down, until the investigation is complete. No legalities stopping them doing that, although obviously he'd still be entitled to be paid while "stood down" pending.

sting

Bench
Lying to the police, trying to message a witness. Bird is f**ked.

When getting sentenced they take into account honesty and cooperation. They're gonna push for the maximum possible jail time.

Latest posts