What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged and released by Sharks

Stagger eel

Staff member
do people honestly believe that Bird himself made the decision to drag his younger brother along..just remember you lawyer is also your adviser and would of put him up to it.

bartman

Immortal
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/birds-family-defiant-in-support/2008/10/11/1223145699129.html

Stand by for more kids: Birds defiant Adrian Proszenko
October 12, 2008

THE mother of rugby league star Greg Bird has hit back at claims she took her youngest children to court to gain sympathy for their big brother, who is facing serious assault charges.
The Cronulla, NSW and Australian five-eighth was accompanied by family - including little brothers Bayden, 4, and Riley, 8 weeks - when he appeared in a Sydney court last week.
The appearance of the youngsters sparked speculation they were used as a ploy to gain public sympathy for Bird. But Iris Bird, who travelled from Maitland to be by her son's side at court, claimed the family's only intention was to support her son, who is accused of recklessly wounding Katie Milligan, his girlfriend.
"He needed some support. If we hadn't been there, all he would have had there was his barrister," Mrs Bird said.
"He never even had a club member to go along and support him. I thought that was a bit odd. If we hadn't been there for him, he would have been a very lonely boy."
She dismissed claims of a ploy.
"We never even thought of that. We went there to support him. We had no one to look after the kids anyway because we were in Sydney. I'm [breast]feeding Riley so I can't leave him anywhere. We went there as a family because that's what we are."
Mrs Bird said she would have complied with any court rules regarding children but there were no objections to their presence.
"When we went through the metal detector, somebody could have said something [then]," she said. "There were heaps of police when we went in upstairs. Somebody could have said, 'Kids aren't allowed in there.' "
She said suggestions the children would be traumatised were off the mark.
"They both fell asleep. I don't think they were very traumatised. If I knew we weren't allowed to take them I wouldn't have taken them, if I could have found someone to look after them. We went there as a family to support my son."
Bird, who has been stood down by the Sharks, said he was thankful for the show of support.
"I appreciated it. It was awesome to see my family. They live two hours away. I like to see them whenever I can and I was appreciative they came down to support me," he said.
Mrs Bird was incensed with the jostling of the 18-strong media "scrum" which recorded the events outside court. "It was horrific. I couldn't believe it. [I'll bring a camera] to show them and show everyone else what it looks like from our eyes. They don't see what it looks like from our side. It was really scary."
Mrs Bird said her son was surprised he did not get any support from the Sharks during the hearing.
"As soon as we came out of the courtroom, that was the first thing that Greg said: 'I never had a club representative here,' " she said.
Despite the controversy over the Bird family's court appearance, Iris said there would be even greater numbers on hand next time.
"I've got six kids, so there's a lot of us out there," she said. "We're going to have even more family there next time."
Shut up and stop whinging you dopey prick!

Just cop your medicine like the tough man that (allegedly) injured his loved one with broken glass...

God-King Dean

Immortal
'I never had a club representative here'

I bet Milligan wishes she never had glass in her head. Or does she ? Who knows with that silly bi-atch.

adamkungl

Immortal
Sharks have really distanced themselves from him...Will they come crawling back if he's cleared? If I was him I doubt I'd be too pleased...

God-King Dean

Immortal
I don't think they will IMO. I just think he's brought so much sh*te onto the club, there's no way they'd bring him back.

adamkungl

Immortal
I don't think they will IMO. I just think he's brought so much sh*te onto the club, there's no way they'd bring him back.

The fans seem to want him back. After they all denounced him, as soon as an injury hit they changed their tune. bullsh*t artists, save for a select few.

Charlie124

First Grade
Hasn't he refused to talk to the club and even give them his side of the story? why the f**k should they turn up to court to represent him when he doesn't even have the common courtesy to fill them in on what happened. It seems like he want's someone else to do all the dirty stuff for him without having to own up to what he might or might not have done.

The Sharks aren't any more clear on the details now as they were when it first happened.

f**k him.

bartman

Immortal
Exactly. I hope Zappia and the Sharks read the guy the riot act for the lack of respect he's paid the employer who funds his lifestyle through all this - no matter what the verdicts.

Bird is a delusional merkin of the highest order, and I'd say the same of anyone from my club that carried on in the same way.

The fans seem to want him back. After they all denounced him, as soon as an injury hit they changed their tune. bullsh*t artists, save for a select few.

Whats the official percentages on that claim rooster rooter? IMO you as full of shyte as your club is of overratted useless players.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Bird flees to meet girlfriend in USA

By Paul Kent
October 15, 2008 DISGRACED Cronulla star Greg Bird has fled to the United States to link with girlfriend Katie Milligan.
Ms Milligan left Australia almost four weeks ago and has been staying with family in New York, and sources have suggested that Bird is en route to meet her outside the jurisdiction of his Apprehended Violence Order, which only applies in New South Wales.
But for all its boldness and hints of romance, the daring trip could mean more problems for the troubled star if NSW Police confirm the pair have met. Under the terms of the AVO, he can still be charged with breaching the order once he returns to NSW.
The Cronulla club was stunned at this latest development, unsure of Bird's motivations. Club chief executive Tony Zappia remained guarded but confirmed he had been told Bird had left for America.
"I have heard the rumour but obviously Greg hasn't been involved in any club activities since he was stood down, so I can't confirm it," Zappia said.
"But I have heard the rumour."
The pair have long expressed their desire to rekindle their relationship, with Ms Milligan declaring her ongoing love for the footballer. Bird failed to have the AVO altered in Downing Centre Local Court last week, when he requested permission to contact Ms Milligan.
Weeks earlier, Ms Milligan had an application to alter the terms of the AVO, so that she could contact him, denied in court.
Police can check Bird's passport and other travel details to determine whether further investigation is required. It was uncertain on Tuesday where in the US Bird was headed.

He met Ms Milligan in Las Vegas during an end-of-season trip in October 2007, cutting short his trip with Cronulla teammates to follow Ms Milligan back to her home in New York.

His fleeing to America overshadows his involvement in a number of other incidents in the past week.

A young woman was terrified when Bird allegedly jumped into the back of her car and demanded she take him to a pizza shop. Later, he was involved in slanging matches with various passers-by from the balcony of his Cronulla unit.

While swearing off alcohol, he has been spotted several times with alcoholic drinks in his hand.

Since being stood down, Bird has remained on full pay at the Sharks and has been provided with details for the NRL's counselling service. The club's welfare manager has also been in regular contact.

Under confidentiality clauses, the Sharks are not told whether he is attending classes with the counsellor. It is believed he has failed to take up the offer.

Sharks officials faced a sustained blast from supporters throughout their finals campaign for sticking with the decision to stand him down until his case was heard in court.

Without Bird, the Sharks made a spirited charge into the play-offs, prompting many fans to call on the club to overlook the decision to stand him down and insist he be reinstated.

Scores of fans demanded answers as to why Bird should continue to be stood down.

While Zappia failed to respond publicly to the supporters' demands, his action appears justified given recent events.

A backflip on the decision would have left the club in an embarrassing predicament.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24499378-23214,00.html

adamkungl

Immortal
Whats the official percentages on that claim rooster rooter? IMO you as full of shyte as your club is of overratted useless players.

Jeez calm the f**k down. I know you wanted him gone, so did a few others. But I got the impression that once Seymour was injured the majority on this forum wanted him back. Serious question, am I right?

DJShaksta

First Grade
This is dragging on waaaaaaay too f**king long.
November can't come quick enough, and they better sort it out once and for all then.

bartman

Immortal
Saw Weidler's story on 9 news last night.

Sharks should just cut the guys loose before the result of the court case. Based on the recent allegations this week of drunkenly abusing the public from his balcony, and car-jacking a ride to a pizza joint, and his past record of indiscretions. Repeated infringements, breaking a behaviour code, bringing club into disrepute after warnings - whatever.

The NRL should back up the decision and de-register Bird for the duration of his remaining Sharks contract if Cronulla/Zappia takes the final step. The game doesn't need a wanker like Bird bringing it down with his headline-making behaviour. Bring it to an end quickly and then the Sharks and the game can get on with the future.

sharks8601

Juniors
Saw Weidler's story on 9 news last night.

Sharks should just cut the guys loose before the result of the court case. Based on the recent allegations this week of drunkenly abusing the public from his balcony, and car-jacking a ride to a pizza joint, and his past record of indiscretions. Repeated infringements, breaking a behaviour code, bringing club into disrepute after warnings - whatever.

The NRL should back up the decision and de-register Bird for the duration of his remaining Sharks contract if Cronulla/Zappia takes the final step. The game doesn't need a wanker like Bird bringing it down with his headline-making behaviour. Bring it to an end quickly and then the Sharks and the game can get on with the future.

but you have to remember that these are all "allegation" by the media who have attacked bird since day one
im not sticking up for him but the media go after a few players out there and never have anything good to say about them