What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged and released by Sharks

Kiki

First Grade
yeh there is noooo way he will get jail time. penalties in australia are very light even for violent crimes. this isnt Law and Order.

Fibroman

First Grade
These things are always hard to prove when you have a 'hostile' witness.

I think the domestic violence Legislation makes it mandatory for her to give evidence, but that doesn't mean she can't get in the witness box and tell a whole bunch of porky pies.

I hope for his sake, that Bird has a very very good barrister, otherwise he may be looking at an extended visit in the bum factory.

The case for the alleged Aggrevated Assault is likely to fall over without the support of the alleged victim. The Police have even admitted as much.

In the case of the new charges the police have laid both because IMO they don't see the the more serious charge of False Accusation, being successfull.

The accusation, one would think, would need to be that someone else committed a crime. Therefore attempting to cover up involvement in a serious offence. If the case of aggrevated Assault is unsuccessful, there is no crime to base the charge of False Accusation against. Even discounting all that completely, when you consider the Police own reported information provided to Sutherland Court, as follows;

Police alleged that Bird had initially claimed his flatmate, golfer Brent Watson, was to blame for the assault on Milligan.

Bird had called Watson soon after the incident and allegedly said: "Something has happened to Katie. It was an accident.

"There is blood everywhere in the unit. We have told police it's you. How do you feel about that?"

Clearly by the information provided Bird has suugested an Accident took place and asked his mate to take the wrap. It doesnt make much sense if it was an accident, but thats all the Police have, a statement from Bird on a text message that it was an accident.

It may be a false accusation if Bird went to the Police and told them Watson was the person that committed a serious offence, however there is no evidence so far that suggests he made such a statement.

The most likely successful charge would be Public Mischief under sub section 2. Which covers making a false claim to any other person about an incident that leads to a Police investigation. Bird certainly cannot fight that, I would think, given that I understand he made comments to the Hospital Staff that an accident took place and his mate was involved and his comments to the Cronnulla club that visitors were staying at his apartment and an incident took place, however he was not present.

This would be heard in the Local Court and the most likely outcome would be a fine. If a magistrate imposed a gaol term, Bird would appeal to the District Court, who love to overturn magistrates sentencing and change them to Good Behaviour bonds.

I have seen much worse crimes get Good behaviour bonds so don't kid yourself that a fine is the most likely outcome.

Bird still has the earlier matter to deal with as well.

Last edited:

badav

Bench
The latest charges are reccomendations from the DPP and so i don't think they've actually been brought up against Greg Bird yet, but yes im sure they are a backup because the main charge looks like to collapse in a heap of sh*t.

Beyond the charges I suspect he has some major hurdles with the Cronulla club, but who knows, if they let him go, another club will overlook all the drama and take him on. I think his biggest problem in future is the sigma that will stick from this.

The Gambler

Juniors
Beyond the charges I suspect he has some major hurdles with the Cronulla club, but who knows, if they let him go, another club will overlook all the drama and take him on. I think his biggest problem in future is the sigma that will stick from this.
You are probably right. If all charges are unsuccessful there will probably be a handful of clubs prepared to sign him. He would be taking a massive paycut though.

Might have to start hitting her with plastic cups instead...

bartman

Immortal
It doesnt make much sense if it was an accident,
You're not wrong there. Why implicate an absent person in something if it was an accident... and he is yet to come forward legally or to anyone else (club) to explain exactly how an accident of that nature might have occurred. If there was a simple explanation to the injuries, it would likely have all been sorted on the day it happened...

Even without the witness testimony from the g/f herself, from reports police have witness testimony from neighbours hearing the g/f accuse Bird of causing the injuries, which require hospitalisation. It was obviously enough for them to lay charges as a result, and Bird's stupidity in so innocently trying to dump his mate in the middle of something is just an extra charge - a cherry on top of the cake.

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the grub goes down for a while, even without the g/f (who coincidently seems to be dependent upon him for her longer term visa status after her student term expires?) giving any evidence.

millersnose

Post Whore
bartman said:
I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the grub goes down for a while, even without the g/f (who coincidently seems to be dependent upon him for her longer term visa status after her student term expires

you are just making stuff up for dramamtic effect

please stick to facts or at least the news reports

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Court rejects Bird’s bid to see Milligan, charge to be downgraded

29 minutes ago. | Laura Tunstall

F_122828_GregBird_KateMilligan_320.jpg

Sharks player Greg Bird has lost a bid to have his bail conditions varied so he can see his girlfriend - but a Sydney court has been told an assault charge against him will be downgraded.

Greg Bird made the application to have his bail conditions and AVO varied so he can contact his alleged victim and girlfriend Katie Milligan.

The Cronulla player is accused of glassing her in the face earlier this year, and was charged with maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm.

Downing centre court was today told that charge is likely to be dropped and replaced with the lesser charge of reckless wounding.

Despite an email from Ms Milligan supporting Bird's request to see her - the application has been rejected.

The court was told there is an important public policy in allowing police to protect victims that do not want an AVO.

http://livenews.com.au/Articles/2008/10/09/Charge_against_Greg_Bird_to_be_downgraded_

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Further quotes newly added to the above article:

Bird's lawyer, Leslie Nicholls, presented a letter to the court from Ms Milligan supporting changes to the AVO and saying she has no objection to Mr Bird contacting her.

"She has no objection to Mr Bird contacting her and this is a significant change in circumstances," Mr Nicholls said.

"The wishes of such a person should be given significance."