What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Genius Freak

Juniors
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/greg-bird-charged-with-attack/2008/08/25/1219516278505.html

Australian representative rugby league player Greg Bird is expected to appear in Sutherland Local Court today over an incident in which a woman was allegedly hit in the face with a glass, suffering a fractured eye socket and severe lascerations.
Police said last night the woman, 24, was allegedly hit during an argument at about 7.30am yesterday at a unit block on Boorima Place, where Bird's waterfront unit is located.
Bird has been charged with maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm.
He was refused bail and will face Sutherland Local Court today.
Yesterday Bird and his rugby league club, Cronulla admitted an incident had occurred at his unit, but denied he had been there at the time.
"Following initial enquires, the club understands that an argument between two guests at Greg Bird's Cronulla unit has resulted in an injury to a friend," the club said in a statement.
Bird denied any involvement when contacted yesterday afternoon. "Nah mate, nothing going on at all," he told the Herald. "I haven't been at home all day. Enjoy your Sunday..."
The 24-year-old woman remains in Prince of Wales hospital where she will undergo surgery today.
Bird has also been issued a court attendance notice for common assault relating to an alleged incident involving a woman at a nightclub on Cronulla Street in Cronulla on January 19 this year.
The charges follows two unsavoury incidents involving Bird during the course of this season. Last weekend, he was involved in an altercation with a former cagefighter who had just assaulted his former team mate Nick Youngquest.
The playmaker was also briefly placed under arrest outside a nightclub in Brisbane's West End following the NSW State of Origin team's loss to Queensland on June 11.

Oh geez, there goes the season.

ollie515

Juniors
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24235035-5001021,00.html

NRL star Greg Bird was last night charged for allegedly glassing his American girlfriend in the face.
Katie Milligan, 24, will undergo surgery at the Prince of Wales Hospital today for "glass wounds" to the eye and is also suffering a fractured eye socket.
Police allege the incident took place at Bird's Cronulla unit about 7.30am yesterday.
The Cronulla Sharks and State of Origin player walked into Miranda police station just after 8.30pm last night to be interviewed by police.
After more than two hours talking to detectives, the 24-year-old was charged and refused police bail.
He will appear in Sutherland Local Court this morning to face a charge of maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm. Police also gave Bird a summons to attend court in respect of an alleged attack on a 20-year-old woman at a Cronulla nightclub on January 19.
Ms Milligan was transferred from Sutherland Hospital to Prince of Wales Hospital yesterday after she was allegedly attacked with a sharp object, possibly a drinking glass, while at Bird's apartment in Boorima Place, Cronulla.
Bird drove Ms Milligan to hospital about 8.30am.
A trail of blood stretched from the front door of Bird's apartment, across a hallway, into an lift, across the building's foyer and out into the car park.
Doctors feared the lacerations to Ms Milligan's eye were so bad she may lose it.
A hospital spokeswoman said last night that a 24-year-old woman was in a stable condition.
Due to her injuries police have yet to get a statement from Ms Milligan. She had only been in Australia for two months and had been dating Bird for that time, sources told The Daily Telegraph.
The Cronulla Sharks club had hoped to interview Bird this morning and claimed Bird told them yesterday, before his arrest, he was not responsible.
"I understand he wasn't involved," Cronulla Sharks CEO Tony Zappia said.
"We have only made initial inquiries and Greg has been too concerned about the girl and said he will come and see me first thing in the morning to tell me more."

So he has been charged and is in lock-up.

If he has glassed a woman the Sharks need to cut him loose immediately.

Last edited:

Matt23

Staff member
...and just when you guys started to look the goods, unfortunatly I don't think the Sharks have got any choice but to cut him loose. :(

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
will have a hard time playing from jail. Lets hope it was self defense.
But we all knew this was going to come from him.

Squae

Juniors
Jesus f..k

He has to go, unbelievable. Sounds like he is guilty to, considering he was in an interview for 2 hours prior to them charging him.

coolumsharkie

Referee
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24235035-5001021,00.html

NRL star Greg Bird was last night charged for allegedly glassing his American girlfriend in the face.
Katie Milligan, 24, will undergo surgery at the Prince of Wales Hospital today for "glass wounds" to the eye and is also suffering a fractured eye socket.
Police allege the incident took place at Bird's Cronulla unit about 7.30am yesterday.
The Cronulla Sharks and State of Origin player walked into Miranda police station just after 8.30pm last night to be interviewed by police.
After more than two hours talking to detectives, the 24-year-old was charged and refused police bail.
He will appear in Sutherland Local Court this morning to face a charge of maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm. Police also gave Bird a summons to attend court in respect of an alleged attack on a 20-year-old woman at a Cronulla nightclub on January 19.
Ms Milligan was transferred from Sutherland Hospital to Prince of Wales Hospital yesterday after she was allegedly attacked with a sharp object, possibly a drinking glass, while at Bird's apartment in Boorima Place, Cronulla.
Bird drove Ms Milligan to hospital about 8.30am.
A trail of blood stretched from the front door of Bird's apartment, across a hallway, into an lift, across the building's foyer and out into the car park.
Doctors feared the lacerations to Ms Milligan's eye were so bad she may lose it.
A hospital spokeswoman said last night that a 24-year-old woman was in a stable condition.
Due to her injuries police have yet to get a statement from Ms Milligan. She had only been in Australia for two months and had been dating Bird for that time, sources told The Daily Telegraph.
The Cronulla Sharks club had hoped to interview Bird this morning and claimed Bird told them yesterday, before his arrest, he was not responsible.
"I understand he wasn't involved," Cronulla Sharks CEO Tony Zappia said.
"We have only made initial inquiries and Greg has been too concerned about the girl and said he will come and see me first thing in the morning to tell me more."

So he has been charged and is in lock-up.

If he has glassed a woman the Sharks need to cut him loose immediately.

f**k my brown dog, we are cursed.

Quigs

Immortal
OH WELL THERE IS ALWAYS 2010.

Hope the girl is alright

Dead set how many times must blokes like Birdy have to get the message.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

DJDL

Bench
That's just indefensible. If it's all true and proven I see no option for the Club but to punt him.

As Cools said:- gutted.

Since 73

First Grade
Gooooone.

I blame Friday nite games.

Sticky would be shattered.
He's invested a lot of time into that bloke and turnd him into the aussie 5/8.

He's lost a contract, a spot in the World Cup and the respect of fans and rugby league public.

The media's on Gal's back every week. Now this grub act from our other rep player. Plus all the negativity over the weekend about our style of play.
Sheeesh, we're less bloody popular than Brendan Nelson.

SharkShocked

Bench
Just saw a quick news clipping on the tele.

Couldn't believe someone could be walking along and still smiling given the seriousness of the situation.

If he has had any involvement at all the club will have no option but to punt him immediately.

Can pretty much kiss any outside chance we had at featuring in the later weeks of the semi's goodbye.

I for the life of me cannot understand how someone could GLASS another person....

Last edited:

Quigs

Immortal
Is he still in the slammer or has he been bailed.?

Not that it matters.

It looks like it is all over red rover as far as Bird -> RL Career -> Sharks are concerned.

What's this his third time in the headlines in a matter of how many weeks.

Peeked and timed to perfection.

Just hope that the girl is okay.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

samshark

Juniors
Without trying to sound like I am downgrading what has occurred as it is very serious dont get too caught up in the whole 'glassing' term being used in the media. The media will jump on this word and sensationalise it but it is not clear whether the glass has being thrown at her or smashed in her face in the sense that most people interpret what a glassing is.

Either way its a terrible thing Bird has allegedly done and there is probably no other option than for the club to sack/suspend him.

Making matters worse is that he has also been *issued with a summons*, involving a female from an alleged incident in a night club in January this year.

Fugging idiot, just when we were building something special.

Last edited by a moderator:

samshark

Juniors
He was bail refused Quigs. Appears in Sutherland Local Court today. Up to Magistrate whether he is released today or kept in custody. Court listings etc are public records and can be found on the internet for those interested.

carcharias

Immortal
A yes footy players..........bunch of fuggen dumb merkins.

At least Gallen does his dumbest work on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.