What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sladden road

Juniors
what a dark day for the club..
how dissapointing..they just dont get it..get off the fuggn grog for the season if you have a prob..if its true he has to be cut and most prob goes our season..
ahhhhh birdy..
why?

carcharias

Immortal
7.30am?

WTF?

That is the time of day pill heads are still drinking.

Maybe she had a nasty accident while drinking her OJ for breakfast.

Quigs

Immortal
(Before I start - Note: my main concern is for the health and well being of the victim)

K it is fine and dandy to wait to hear all the facts etc etc.

But I can tell you this. It is a very, very serious charge laid against Bird. And the fact that bail was refused also tends to lend a lot of wieght to the seriousness of the charges.

Plus the fact that he has also been charged with an alleged offence dating back to January, again involving alleged violence against a woman.

Mate if he had been charged with assualt in a Mosh Pit then I would be taking the same line as you.

But a lone female. An eye injury involving glass, requiring an operationg - no other offending party charged or mentioned in the dispatches... it just adds up to grub act with a capital "G"

The bloke has been a walking headline since the SOO incident. Right or wrong you would of thought that would of been enough for any sensible young bloke that likes a drink to pull his head right in.

Think about it. If that was you in Birds thongs and that SOO incident then I reckon you would of probably shut up shop and become a saint. Well at least till mad Monday. I know I would of ... if it meant putting my club, my aussie, my world cup ambitions on the line.

But Bird obviously being Bird, what did he do? Again Right or Wrong he was in headline after headline. And I am only hearing all this from a long long way away.

If this last incident is true then it trumps any other incident in any other club this year.

I just knew the season was too good to be true.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

ryanallen

Juniors
We might not have to wait long but I will wait untill I hear a statement from the club or Bird himself.

Apparently Bird drove her to hospital. Does it make any difference if she doesn't want to lay charges?

Police havent even got her statement yet so we should wait for that aswell.

PHaTMaN

Juniors
She hasn't even been interviewed yet has she?
I would wait till the whole story comes out before completely condemning him.

Quigs

Immortal
Ryan this is 2008 old boy.

A woman ends up in hospital with a serious facial injury. Requiring an operation.

Grievous Bodily Harm.

The incident will have its day in courts statements or no statements.

Questions will be asked under oath.

The truth will surface.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

Special K

Coach
(Before I start - Note: my main concern is for the health and well being of the victim)

K it is fine and dandy to wait to hear all the facts etc etc.

But I can tell you this. It is a very, very serious charge laid against Bird. And the fact that bail was refused also tends to lend a lot of wieght to the seriousness of the charges.

I understand how serious this is. However Bird and the club stated it was between two guests.

I love to talk Bird up on here and stir everyone in the NRL forum up but if true it is truely disgusting and can't be defended.

As a sharks fan I'm gutted. This is one of the worst things I can remember happening to my club. Bird was in line to captain NSW next year (along with someone like Gidley if he made the team) and was a dominant big game player - which is something I don't remember us ever having.

I just want to know who the other person was and what he/she have to say?

In saying that - it is really not the issue. The issue here is the poor girls eye. I sincerely hope she is ok and does not end up losing a eye. It sounds like a disturbing injury that nobody deserves.

Qld-Sharkie

Juniors
I will wait to hear all reports.....and NOT rely on the media.
Buuuuutttt....3 or 4 incidents of drinking, bars, mates involved, fighting, police, arrest tend to make me think......if there is smoke, there is fire.

suthotroy

Juniors
The Sharks have proven they're tough on violence against women - having sacked Tevita Latu for punching a woman in May 2006.

I have no doubt the Sharks will axe Bird and the NRL will deregister him if he's proven guilty of this most-serious offence - no other punishment from the game's officials would be strong enough.

I don't believe Bird should be sacked or deregistered until the charges are dealt with in court. He should, however, be stood down from playing until then, despite what effect it might have on the club's premiership campaign.

I am horrified and disgusted at the shocking nature of the allegations. No one, let alone a woman, should be subjected to such violence.

Bird has not only once again let himself, his family, coach and teammates, and fans down - and possibly cost them a maiden premiership - he's ruined a young girl's life.

I am a Sharks fan and I won't defend anyone against such allegations.

I will remind everyone that they are only allegations at this stage, and the charge of maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm contains a presumption against bail - that means police don't have any choice but to remand in custody a person charged with this offence. So a person's guilt cannot be drawn from the fact they've been refused police bail.

Finally, there seems to be mounting evidence of a culture of alcohol-fuelled off-field thuggery in the NRL, with players constantly finding themselves in the headlines for being in trouble with the law.

Maybe the NRL and club officials need to start tackling this problem, which is having a much bigger impact on the game's image, than issues like the $onny Bill Williams affair!

If the NRL continues to sit on its hands and not take any action to address alcohol-related incidents it will risk alienating key fan bases - primarily families and women.

I will remind everyone that they are only allegations at this stage, and the charge of maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm contains a presumption against bail - that means police don't have any choice but to remand in custody a person charged with this offence. So a person's guilt cannot be drawn from the fact they've been refused police bail.

yeah..

but. I mean.

its looking bad. will depend on what the victim says i guess.

Regardless of who commited the crime..disgraceful thing to do.

suthotroy

Juniors
I saw footage of him limping around with his lower leg in some sort of brace...what goes here?

It was file footage. As was the vision someone else mentioned earlier in this thread of him smiling.

The Daily Telegraph has printed only picture of him from last night. He was entering Miranda Police Station with a lawyer.

All the TV footage is archive stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.