What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan Shore

First Grade
Perhaps its time to do put 'no-alcohol' clauses in player contracts for during the season. I think some NFL clubs in the US discussed or started doing this - the club's profitability depends on a clean player image and ensuring that they are at their physical best; alcohol merely compromises that.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
I hope someone gags him fuggen quick.

There's plenty more potential charges stacking up depending how it pans out.

Quigs

Immortal
Its the old story folks, everything in moderation.

There is no better feeling on this planet then having a couple of coldies with your teamates after a hard fought win.

It's tribal, it is ingrained in our lifestyle. And it is great.

But f**k, its a case of everything in moderation. Times have changed - yes, but lets not cruel it for everyone.

I was very lucky, I was born with the right genes, I loved the piss and could drink quite a lot of it and still be a 'decent moron' who never (as far as I know) offended anyone and when it was time, it was time. I went off to lie down.

But from day #1 of my drinking life I saw absolute cockheads that should not drink. never drink and never should of been allowed to drink.

It is the same today I have no doubt.

Remember the stories that flowed after the recent death of Supercoach Jack.

He just whispered to the boys when celebrations were in full flow or an after training team bonding drinky. He just said, "Make sure you're not the last one out of the bar"

The boys got the message, Jack knew who did the right thing and sanity prevailled.

The modern day dickheads have to see who is the last one standing apparently, or I am so and so, don't you know who I am. etc etc.

Flog em all and get em back chasing the garbo trucks. Modern day footballers - its like feeding strawberries to pigs.

Some of these blokes obviously don't appreciate the position they are in.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

The only possible, believable and defensible scenario is if it emerges that she has done this to herself. I think that possibility speaks volumes of the situation both he and the club is in.

Short of that, he needs to throw his hands up asap and take his discount at sentencing.

The funny thing about innocence and guilt is that everything would be bang-up easy if people just told the truth. But they don't.

I honestly can't verbalise how devastated I am.

And the devastation doesn't diminish when I read petulant comments by blokes like Genius Freak.

spider

Coach
Short of that, he needs to throw his hands up asap and take his discount at sentencing.
i read in the statement released by the club that they were going to strenuously defend the charge???

im at a loss here

he goes to the station last night, reports released he is charged, but they will fight the charge

im stuffed....

Do you have to take the field in a Grand Final, or do you receive a premiership ring for having played first grade that season ?

He may want a new ring if the old one is about to be worn out.

The Dodger

First Grade
just sitting at home tonight, watching fox sports, it actually hit me.
its a bit of a shock to the system.
even my missus is pretty upset about the whole thing, she would come with me to the games just to see him (she had a little crush on the guy).

i mean, he was one of my favourite players.
i talk him up all the time.
i see what he does for the fans and for charities and so forth but i never knew he would stoop down this low.

like gregos said, i keep picturing in my mind, it cant be true, there is another story to this.

i used to have an ex girlfriend who was a bit of a psycho biitch. like i mean the "suicidal tendancies" type.
she got the shiits with me one night because i wanted to stay up and watch the news, she went to the bathroom and started sulking. i went in there after a while and saw her with a razor trying to cut her wrist. it was more of an attention thing but it still freaked me out.

another night i found her on the kitchen floor with tiny punctures on the side of her hip and she was lying there naked with a knife in her hand.

i mean, it was totally farked up and after six months, i couldnt deal with it anymore.

when i broke up with her and left the apartment, i had to call her parents in case she tried to do something.

anyway, the only possibility that i can possibly work out is that she did it to herself.
it could have even been a case of slamming it on the table and it reflecting back on her.
Bird could have even just thrown it at a wall and it rebounded and hit her too.

there could be a million reasons as to how this could have happened.

but after hearing all these other stories of him ringing his mate and asking to take the blame, if this is true, then there is no one to blame but greg bird.

like since 73 said, the sharks need to get as far away from greg bird as possible so this doesnt have any affect in the coming weeks.

i feel sorry for the girl.
i actually feel sorry for greg bird too.

why the f**k did this have to happen.

Special K

Coach
Do you have to take the field in a Grand Final, or do you receive a premiership ring for having played first grade that season ?

He may want a new ring if the old one is about to be worn out.
I think the NRL gives you 25 rings (plus coach?) with the option to order more (ie if you have a player outside the top 25 play a few games)

I remember when the dogs won the comp they got some extras and even though thurston gave price his ring - he still ended up getting one.

God-King Dean

Immortal

Only if you take the field. I remember Thurston giving Price his ring after the 2004 Grand Final because Thurston only played because Price was out.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I think the NRL gives you 25 rings (plus coach?) with the option to order more (ie if you have a player outside the top 25 play a few games)

I remember when the dogs won the comp they got some extras and even though thurston gave price his ring - he still ended up getting one.

That's do Special K... that'll do.

warren

Juniors
i could not be more upset and disappointed

i feel like ive been trying to find reasons not to hate bird since his debut

Special K

Coach
Dodger I know what you mean. One of the reasons my mrs likes footy is because of the birdy man. She would always chuckle at how he spoke in interviews and loved his smile. She is just as upset as I am over this whole thing as she now loves the sharks and Bird is one of her favorites.

Also I checked out the Greg Bird fan page on facebook. Pretty sad stuff - a bunch of kids 11, 13 etc sending Birdy a message telling him how they never miss a game and how good of a role model he is etc. (pre incident of course)

This is going to have a massive effect on the club not just on the field but also off it.

Last edited:

coolumsharkie

Referee
just sitting at home tonight, watching fox sports, it actually hit me.
its a bit of a shock to the system.
even my missus is pretty upset about the whole thing, she would come with me to the games just to see him (she had a little crush on the guy).

i mean, he was one of my favourite players.
i talk him up all the time.
i see what he does for the fans and for charities and so forth but i never knew he would stoop down this low.

like gregos said, i keep picturing in my mind, it cant be true, there is another story to this.

i used to have an ex girlfriend who was a bit of a psycho biitch. like i mean the "suicidal tendancies" type.
she got the shiits with me one night because i wanted to stay up and watch the news, she went to the bathroom and started sulking. i went in there after a while and saw her with a razor trying to cut her wrist. it was more of an attention thing but it still freaked me out.

another night i found her on the kitchen floor with tiny punctures on the side of her hip and she was lying there naked with a knife in her hand.

i mean, it was totally farked up and after six months, i couldnt deal with it anymore.

when i broke up with her and left the apartment, i had to call her parents in case she tried to do something.

anyway, the only possibility that i can possibly work out is that she did it to herself.
it could have even been a case of slamming it on the table and it reflecting back on her.

but after hearing all these other stories of him ringing his mate and asking to take the blame, if this is true, then there is no one to blame but greg bird.

like since 73 said, the sharks need to get as far away from greg bird as possible so this doesnt have any affect in the coming weeks.

i feel sorry for the girl.
i actually feel sorry for greg bird too.

why the f**k did this have to happen.

Do you still have her phone number?

:p

Quigs

Immortal
I'm alright now, Ive just spent the last hour listening to my Leonard Cohan tracks.

Lifes Good.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

spider

Coach

i hoped maybe she may have gone at him with glass in hand to have him grab her arms and push back to which the injury could be sustained

i guess in court everything will come out, or even more so when she makes a statement

hopefully she suffers no permanent physical damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts