What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

spider

Coach
Whoever wrote / typed out that article will need a new shift and or caps lock key.
actually, reading the original from the link - the upper case letters are there

it has changed in the 'copy & paste' process

i put extra breaks in the page to make it easier to read so it's not one blob of sentences

gunnamatta bay

Referee
When you consider all the possible ramifications stemming from this incident it would not surprise me to hear of further tragedy involving Bird.

carcharias

Immortal
Ricky was on the radio this morning and said if he is deemed not guilty then he will have him back in the team.

Who knows how it happened.
For all we know he pushed past her while she was holding the glass and knocked her over.
They could of both been blind having a fight and he could of been trying to stop her from hitting him.

The way it has been reported is as though he smashed the glass into her head on purpose.
My brothers ex girlfriend was a nutter and would attack him when pissed up.
He is a huge bloke and she would go flying just from him trying to get her off him.

I am not sticking up for the bloke...but until I hear her version I will keep an open mind.

Weaponhead

Coach
This is a massive test for the club and actually represents a real opportunity for strong leadership. I have been impressed with the coach's openness about his personal disappointment but his determination to push on with the job. Losing Bird is a huge loss as he is the class player of the team. However, this gives others the chance to step up and make a name for themselves. I want to see who will step up and make history.

The past couple of days have been extremely testing for us as supporters. I have been impressed with the quality of discussion in this forum in dealing with this topic. On the whole, people on here have treated the subject with respect and shown perspective and maturity at a time when emotions are high. Despite feeling devastated, I am proud to be a Sharks supporter at the moment.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
I have been one of Birds biggest critics because in my eyes, his persona was dangerous for the club. I'm all about giving people a break which as a club & fans we have done a few times for him. There may be something here that can absolve him of some responsibility, but never all of it.
He's gone & he will never be the same person or player again anyway.

samshark

Juniors
i read in the statement released by the club that they were going to strenuously defend the charge???

im at a loss here

he goes to the station last night, reports released he is charged, but they will fight the charge

im stuffed....

He didnt interview Spidey. He was charged based on other evidence.
You could argue that at the moment it is a circumstancial case, but a pretty strong one. If the statement is obtained from the the girl, its gonskies.

sharknows

Bench
Ricky was on the radio this morning and said if he is deemed not guilty then he will have him back in the team.

Who knows how it happened.
For all we know he pushed past her while she was holding the glass and knocked her over.
They could of both been blind having a fight and he could of been trying to stop her from hitting him.

The way it has been reported is as though he smashed the glass into her head on purpose.
My brothers ex girlfriend was a nutter and would attack him when pissed up.
He is a huge bloke and she would go flying just from him trying to get her off him.

I am not sticking up for the bloke...but until I hear her version I will keep an open mind.

Ricky stated this morning that he would be supporting Bird through this and it seems obvious that he is fighting the charge. Best we don't speculate and wait for this to unfold in court or whenever.

samshark

Juniors
i hoped maybe she may have gone at him with glass in hand to have him grab her arms and push back to which the injury could be sustained

i guess in court everything will come out, or even more so when she makes a statement

hopefully she suffers no permanent physical damage

The person could have also thrown it at her from across the room.
As I said earlier this is not clear so its not fair at this stage to immediately assume the glass has been pushed into her face in the true 'glassing' sense. I think people should stop assuming that this is what has occurred.

spider

Coach
i dont think many deep down would think that sam

i hope for everyone's sake it certainly did not occur like that - but unfortunately the action of the incident will not reverse the injury for katie

but as i stated yesterday i will not hang him out to dry just yet until the due process has run its course

but in saying that, i wouldn't be laying my hard earned on the bird man at this stage of proceedings

samshark

Juniors
Yes, well said.
There are a lot of questions still to be answered and regardless of what those answers are it is still terrible for the young girl and I hope she has no permanant damage.

I knew it would happen but it just annoys me that way the media portray the glassing leading people to assume he is the worst kind of villian.

Special K

Coach
Glasses can be hard to break. I've dropped plenty and lucky for me they never break.

I've seen guys get hit (and knocked out) with vb bottles that did not break.

Unfortunately there must of been some force behind it.

Last edited:
The problem is, we may never get to hear Bird's version. In all likelihood if it does go to trial hexwill Not give evidence. Milligan may elect not to co-operate with police also and while she may be compellable, you can't force her to tell the truth.

In my eyes, the worst situation possible is if this just gets dropped. And it happens. A lot.

If you look at, and accept the accuracy of, the dialogue between Bird and Watson wit an objective, logical approach... then in the context of the allegation how can we accept him back?

There's a world of difference between innocence and acquittal.

Man up Bird.

millersnose

Post Whore
from bird and his legal teams perspective this getting dropped would have to be an attractive option and one they would surely pursue

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
One thing that is a constant here & that is that whatever was going through Bird Brains mind, the thing he feared most was the condition of the girl, then the media, then the Police.
The fact that the media scared him speaks volumes of the biggest blight on the game. The scurrilous behaviour, dirt digging & sensationalisatio by the media.
perhaps if the clubs started striking back against the media & banning individual reporters & organnisations for certain things if they f*ck up the clubs or players best interests, it will stop happening.
Look at how well Mundine has handled News Ltd.
he has completely banned any contact with them & they look like stupid media imposters in their hunt for him.
Take that imbecile Kent. What an arrsse likker.

PJ

First Grade
Yes blacky, and Weidler, 9 and the SMH has come out of their dealings with Mundine et al looking like a credible journalist with high integrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts