What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
i would love to work for DOCS!

but its a DV research centre at unsw

and dont worry ausguy, i threw the 'he hasnt been proven guilty yet!' line. but im going to wait till footy starts up again and they see me on monday after a loss for them to completely understand where im coming from

Why?

The whole frikkin department should be disbanded. It is covert, subversive, inefficient, ineffective, mostly inappropriate and run by imbeciles from top to bottom.

But hey warren, it's your career.

coolumsharkie

Referee
What Frenzy is probably trying to say is....

It has had it's moments but whats a few dead kids amoungst all the good hard work that the DOCS have done over the years.

warren

Juniors
Why?

The whole frikkin department should be disbanded. It is covert, subversive, inefficient, ineffective, mostly inappropriate and run by imbeciles from top to bottom.

But hey warren, it's your career.

i understand why a lot of people dont like DOCS, but id like to work there and see what its like - ive had very little experience (i still have another yr left in my degree) so ill take all that i can get. but someday id like to write a post similar to yours all on my own!

Hey Woz,

When I was in another occupation and we had the hairy legged man hating brigade lectures, we used to ask if they would look after men who have suffered DV at the hands of women. Interesting responsesto say the least!!

gunnamatta bay

Referee
So has birdie got a visa yet? They said in the news today Mick Crocker has been refused one so I guess he will end up playing back in the NRL or something. Did Mick ever get himself deregistered for his sins?

gunnamatta bay

Referee
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/bird-closer-to-uk/2009/02/10/1234028040418.html

Bird closer to UK

Brad Walter | February 11, 2009

GREG Bird is expected to be given the green light to join British club Bradford within days and may even make his Super League debut this weekend.

Bird, who negotiated a release from Cronulla after being stood down late last season until the outcome of charges against him relating to an alleged assault of his girlfriend Katie Milligan are known, is still awaiting a visa and work permit.

But the UK Border Agency has reportedly made a decision on his application and Bradford officials are confident that Bird won't suffer the same fate as former Test forward Michael Crocker and sacked Canberra halfback Todd Carney, who were refused visas because of criminal convictions.

Bird, who has told the court he will return to Sydney for the hearing of his case on April 27, intends to defend the charges.

"We're expecting to hear a decision early this week," Bradford chairman Peter Hood told reporters in England. "If that does come through and he gets the visa, he could be here a few days later.

"We'll just have to wait to hear what the outcome is and I know he has a couple of things to sort domestically but hopefully he should be on a flight pretty swiftly if all goes according to plan."

It is understood the Bulls hope Bird will be present at Sunday's match against Hull KR so they can at least unveil him to the crowd at Odsal.

Having been given a training program and plays to study by Bradford coach Steve McNamara, there is even a chance Bird will play in the club's first premiership match of the season after last weekend's clash with Harlequins was postponed because the pitch at The Stoop in London was frozen.

Bird's manager Chris Orr said last night they were still awaiting to be hear the outcome of Bird's application but anticipated he would be granted a visa and work permit.

warren

Juniors
Bird's manager Chris Orr said last night they were still awaiting to be hear the outcome of Bird's application but anticipated he would be granted a visa and work permit.

why would they give bird a wroking visa and not carney?
surely they would wait to see the outcome of his court case. i mean who wants a alleged wife basher in their country

Last edited by a moderator:

carcharias

Immortal
surely they would wait to see the outcome of his court case. i mean who wants a alleged wife basher in their country

hey hey hey
lets get the fact correct here.

she was not his wife.

samshark

Juniors

Because Bird hasnt been convicted of anything (yet). Criminal record is clean. That is usually what points based systems look at. However, with this system the British Immigration are now using I am not sure whether being charged awaiting court has any effect. I guess we will get our answer with Bird.

Dave Q

Coach
Because Bird hasnt been convicted of anything (yet). Criminal record is clean. That is usually what points based systems look at. However, with this system the British Immigration are now using I am not sure whether being charged awaiting court has any effect. I guess we will get our answer with Bird.

Good question and I fear the worst for Greg.

Heres the actual question from the UK visa application (sportemen) that Bird will need to tick "yes" to.

E3. Has the applicant ever been charged in any country with a criminal offence for which he/she has not yet been tried in court?
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Yes[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]No[/FONT]

I suppose that the question is there for a reason.

At the very least I imagine that that if he ticks yes, they will want to know the nature of the charges and my guess is that that upon learning of these, they will refuse his application or suspend it until the matter is heard and a finding pronounced.

If he ticks "no" they will not let him in anyway for lying.

Seeing he is into all those gaudy designer shirts, maybe he can get his truck licence and land a job with Roper's Formalwear Express...

On the face of it, Osama Bin Laden would be a better bet for a UK visa, but who knows?

The poms need all the quality players they can get.

Last edited:

Frenzy.

Post Whore

Are you sure samshark?

Did you mean clean as far as the current case?

Dave Q

Coach
Not that the british visa decision makers gave a toss.

Hes failed on the basis of being charged and they arent likely to change their stance.

watched "underbelly" last night.

for a start its not as good as the first.

son of moon face newton...he seems to be doing well for himself though. funny that.

but greg bird cant play in the semi's?

whats the go there?

Bert's boy had his conviction overturned on appeal, I believe.

Bad acting is not (officially) a crime. In fact it seems to be an advantage to getting on Australian TV dramas.

Status
Not open for further replies.