What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

samshark

Juniors
Well as you well know, I was shocked at the result of this hearing. I still think it has a way to go. A long wasteful way. If I cant find the lies & I was on a jury....well?

Yeah I know I was slightly surprised as well but you were also predicting all along that the case would be dropped/thrown out/wouldnt make it court. I think you gotta realise that there were things in the brief of evidence that you, I and everybody else out there didnt know about. And there is no way you would know unless you were the witnesses or investigating police. Although pieces are being released in the media no one on here, me inlcuded knows the entirety of what Bird and Milligan exactly said to police and nurses.

Believe me magistrates these days, if there is any doubt it goes in favour of the accused. The evidence against Bird was obviously very compelling.

Dave Q

Coach
Yeah I know I was slightly surprised as well but you were also predicting all along that the case would be dropped/thrown out/wouldnt make it court. I think you gotta realise that there were things in the brief of evidence that you, I and everybody else out there didnt know about. And there is no way you would know unless you were the witnesses or investigating police. Although pieces are being released in the media no one on here, me inlcuded knows the entirety of what Bird and Milligan exactly said to police and nurses.

Believe me magistrates these days, if there is any doubt it goes in favour of the accused. The evidence against Bird was obviously very compelling.

I disagree with that.

Ive seen magistrates convict people on flimsy and substandard evidence.

Bird trusted in some legal technicality that the court just wouldnt wear.

He butchered his case from the start with his stupidity and arrogance and then it all went downhill from there.

Feej

First Grade
I don't condone what he did. I just want him to do his time or whatever, come clean with the club and fans and come the f*uck home.

Last edited:

Dave Q

Coach
The NRL will never register him again.

Even when hes done his time, the NRL will fear that his prescence will degrade the game and they will lose credibility.

Footy stars will gather again for the Cronulla Sharks.

Maybe he has a future in the union overseas or can change sports, it doesnt matter, the conviction will follow him to his grave.

He wont be remembered for his strength, skill and guile, in the public eye, he will always be the bloke that glassed a girl.

Just a really stupid thing to do backed up with a chorus line of mistakes and an unsuccesful legal strategy (on his instructions) that may have him do time in the gaol system (that the broke and desperate govt wants to sell off to save money-that being a certain recipe for disaster).

Its tragic, but not impossible for him to lead a happy and furfilling life.

I suppose that after his probable stretch he could go around and speak to young blokes at clubs and schools about the dangers of alcohol abuse. Salvage something from the incident, turn the negative into a postive, earn some respect and gain acceptance in society. Face the demons, put something back and all that.

Im not getting soft, he has hurt and injured a fellow human being, but I reckon most people can be rehabilitated (some cant of course) and at least he should have a basic opportunity to achieve that reformation.

As a person, in years to come, he might find that the whole episode enriched his life and more importantly....many others.

Last edited:

chaplin

Juniors
something tells me you arent the bloke that would know too much about this.
I find people like yourself that are making a sport of seeing him go to jail just the most disgraceful scum in the country.
The country is awash with real crime, armed robberies, atm theft, rampant drug trafficking , violent rapes, paedophiles in schools, toddler murders & increasing general murders.
These criminals are getting off the hook everyday and light sentences are rife , yet you take it upon yourself to make a sport & gloat over the fact that this guy could go to jail.
Lowlife to wish that upon somebody because of which club they play for.

Unbelievable. Ive seen some tripe written by this sicko but that post is utter garbage. You are a twisted individual. Youve led this forum on a crusade for months now and have influenced opinion because you cant admitt that maybe Bird is guilty. Everyone thats disagreed with your opinion is hammered. What a gutless fool. You and your sad desciples were wrong. Do you get it?

spider

Coach
ha ha - jumped out of the basket that one
He wont be remembered for his strength, skill and guile, in the public eye, he will always be the bloke that glassed a girl.
...cold

coolumsharkie

Referee
Unbelievable. Ive seen some tripe written by this sicko but that post is utter garbage. You are a twisted individual. Youve led this forum on a crusade for months now and have influenced opinion because you cant admitt that maybe Bird is guilty. Everyone thats disagreed with your opinion is hammered. What a gutless fool. You and your sad desciples were wrong. Do you get it?

No one has led anyone ya goose, only religious people are stupid enough to be "led" around or influenced. I tend to agree with that post, does this mean i'm a desciple?

You got both hands on it.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal

& you sir are a nothing farkwit. Now go away little girl.

millersnose

Post Whore
gawd

i actually read this pile of dung

The NRL will never register him again.

how do you know that?

there is no precedent that indicates this

you are just talking shyte

Just a really stupid thing to do backed up with a chorus line of mistakes and an unsuccesful legal strategy (on his instructions)

do you have inside knowledge on how the defence was conducted??

if not you should retract this garbage

As a person, in years to come, he might find that the whole episode enriched his life and more importantly....many others.

oh for f**k sake

he assaulted a woman

no ones lives were 'enriched', certainly not birds

his life took a huge turn for the worst

Dave Q

Coach
gawd

i actually read this pile of dung

how do you know that?

there is no precedent that indicates this

you are just talking shyte

do you have inside knowledge on how the defence was conducted??

if not you should retract this garbage

oh for f**k sake

he assaulted a woman

no ones lives were 'enriched', certainly not birds

his life took a huge turn for the worst

You read it becasue you wanted to, I didnt ask you.

Anybody who thinks that the NRL will want this guy back needs their head read. he is bad karma, bad publicity and his presence will ensure a loss of sponsership and support for the game. Nobody likes glassings, especially on women. Time will tell who is right nose.

The magistrate said that if it was an accident as claimed he should have manned up. No, he instructed his lawyers to carry on with a not guilty plea, lost his discount etc.

He has turn his life around on a personal level and make good the wrong.
The fast car lifestyle he led was destructive as illustrated in the incident.

He will now have time to reflect on his actions and the bad life he led.

Huge turn for the worse. A moderator special. Only on L.U!!

Lets have a bet on his NRL comeback.

Last edited:

Surely

Post Whore
Aren't there a couple of players in the nrl with previous assault convictions, once bird has completed whatever punishment the court hands down why would he not be able to resume a career in the nrl ?

millersnose

Post Whore
You read it becasue you wanted to, I didnt ask you.

Anybody who thinks that the NRL will want this guy back needs their head read. he is bad karma, bad publicity and his presence will ensure a loss of sponsership and support for the game. Nobody likes glassings, especially on women. Time will tell who is right nose.

absolute nonsense

bird now has the freak show appeal

he is rugby leagues version of mike tyson

instant interest and instant ratings boost if he ever gets in the nrl

he instructed his lawyers to carry on with a not guilty plea, lost his discount etc.

you do not know this

you have no idea how his defence was conducted wether he followed the legal teams advice or not

retract this nonsense

He has turn his life around on a personal level and make good the wrong.

wtf????

chaplin

Juniors
& you sir are a nothing farkwit. Now go away little girl.

And you madam are and have always been wrong. At least you are consistent. Im sure Bird appreciates your crusade. Shame you backed the biggest loser again. Let me guess you wear an eyepatch in some warped support of Bird?

Last edited:

chaplin

Juniors
Aren't there a couple of players in the nrl with previous assault convictions, once bird has completed whatever punishment the court hands down why would he not be able to resume a career in the nrl ?

I dont see why not. Remember Bird, like Carney, was banned by his club first with the NRL backing that banning. Once the time frame of that ban has been served Id gather theres no reason Bird couldnt play in the NRL comp again.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
And you madam are and have always been wrong. At least you are consistent. Im sure Bird appreciates your crusade. Shame you backed the biggest loser again. Let me guess you wear an eyepatch in some warped support of Bird?

I may have been wrong about the short term outcome of this case, but there is a long way to go.
I have also never had the need to change user identities on this forum. Why is it that you joined in November but several weeks later you were saying things like
chaplin said:
This whole thread offers entertainment on levels previously unseen on LU. Amazing stuff, really.

weird. I cant stand merkins like you on here.

chaplin

Juniors
I may have been wrong about the short term outcome of this case, but there is a long way to go.
I have also never had the need to change user identities on this forum. Why is it that you joined in November but several weeks later you were saying things like

weird. I cant stand merkins like you on here.

Its nice to know I have had such an effect on you, enough to have you checking up on me. I feel the love. You cant stand anyone who disagrees with your opinion and you have shown that with various rants thru this whole thread. Did you ever consider I could be a long time reader but only joined recently? You really have some hefty ego problems madam. Its been enjoyable messing with your mind though.

Dave Q

Coach
absolute nonsense

bird now has the freak show appeal

he is rugby leagues version of mike tyson

instant interest and instant ratings boost if he ever gets in the nrl

you do not know this

you have no idea how his defence was conducted wether he followed the legal teams advice or not

retract this nonsense

wtf????

You might not be aware of it nose, but lawyers are not allowed to act against their clients instructions. If you dont believe me, ask some of the lawyers who post here or ring up the Law Society. Go ahead make my day.

Ultimately, in consideration of all of the advice he received, it was Bird's decision to proceed with a not-guilty defence.

The lawyers the set about doing their best they could with this utter dog of a case. It is exteremely unlikely and remote that they would have promised him any result.

Thus there is no need for a retraction ...and kind sir, I am not going to make one!

Last edited:

millersnose

Post Whore
You might not be aware of it nose, but lawyers are not allowed to act against their clients instructions. If you dont believe me, ask some of the lawyers who post here or ring up the Law Society. Go ahead make my day.

Ultimately, in consideration of all of the advice he received, it was Bird's decision to proceed with a not-guilty defence.

repeating your stupid claim is not evidence of your stupid claim

Thus there is no need for a retraction ...and kind sir, I am not going to make one!

then you are a liar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts