What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

millersnose

Post Whore
nonsense reefy

the media just does its job

if some people, mind you a small minority in the sporting community, cant help doing stupid things that is not the medias fault

and i have no doubt what bird would be fearing most is a prison term right now

chewsta

First Grade
Now on the other side of the coin, if Greg is convicted of such a low act, who do we sign?????????? Someone has to be positive in here i suppose!

My first preference would be a back though there doesnt seem to be too many to go after, since we like chasing backrowers however, Ide go for Frank Pritchard. seems very unhappy out at Penrith and apparently did not want to go back on the field during last nights game against the Storm.
He also has many of Birds qualities, breaks tackles, can offload at will and hits hard in defence.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Do you have to take the field in a Grand Final, or do you receive a premiership ring for having played first grade that season ?

He may want a new ring if the old one is about to be worn out.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm down with the Quigs for President thing too. Spot on Quigsy.

mazz

Juniors
A close friend in West End (Brisbane) told me Bird was carrying on like a complete ass outside the nightclub after the SOO loss. Being an arrogant smart ass were her words. The cops were well within their rights to arrest him. He then speaks on footy show like he was an angel, and did nothing to provoke things.

I'm expecting Bird to somehow beat this charge from this glassing incident. Who knows what exactly happened / or what provocation took place to instigate things.

The fact is however, that this girl has somehow ended up with a fractured eye-socket, and that Bird/girlfriend have tried to put all blame on his room mate. The latter is a disgusting act, the former is just not acceptable.

Regardless of whether Bird beats the charge, this filth around the club is not acceptable. I won't be taking my kids to Shark Park whilst he is playing.

Dave Q

Coach
Now its been reported that he asked a friend to take the wrap and may have made fasle statements to Police.

Isnt that make a false statement or an attempt to pervert the course of Justice?

Courts are pretty quick to gaol people for the latter.

And if he is found guilty or pleads guilty (he is entitled to the benefit of the doubt at this time) and gets sent to gaol with the big boys, I imagine that he will be in considerable personal danger.

This could be the end of his career and the end of his life as he knew it.

Mind-fugging alcohol abuse.

Karma for what he did to Shane Martene. Smart's has been hanging for this day since Bird took him out illegally and wrecked his career in or about 2004. Birdy totally poleaxed him and destroyed his dreams. I dont think Birdy would have wished that on him, but thats what happened.

Bird has always been the kind of bloke you wouldnt swerve for.

But he is an innocent man right now and should be treated as such. Business as usual.

Last edited:

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
nonsense reefy

the media just does its job

There were 5 glassings around Australia last week. Can you tell me one thing about them?
if not, the media is not doing its job. it is picking & choosing which individual to crucify via trial by media. There is not 1 balanced bit of reporting at this point by any organisation except for current affair believe it or not.
not 1 article on the rise in glassing attacks in Australia. The number of attacks. The number of male victims/female victims. The number of guilty v aquitals. All the media is interested in here is that an NRL player is off the rails.
Look at the media that happened when Bird was proven innocent inn the Origin affair & the police were caught lying. 1 small piece for 1 day on the news compared to every night for a week prior to the lying deceit & cover up by police all the way through to a government minister!

if some people, mind you a small minority in the sporting community, cant help doing stupid things that is not the medias fault
I didn't say it was. But lets put in context with Trev the bricklayer & Sheena the office worker & give it the same amount of attention they receive.

If he has done it I would say yes he would be fearing that. but we don't know. His biggest fear at the time though, was the media, as per his conversations to his mate & his manager.

Last edited:

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
A close friend in West End (Brisbane) told me Bird was carrying on like a complete ass outside the nightclub after the SOO loss. Being an arrogant smart ass were her words. The cops were well within their rights to arrest him..
What a load of f*cking shyte. If the cops arrested people for being an arrogant smart arse outside night clubs, they would need a B-double there each night to take away the culprits.
in my opinion , generation K-Y is devoid of anybody who is not a spoilt arrogant smart arrssse.
& don't start me on the type of people at QLD night clubs. FMD.

millersnose

Post Whore
There were 5 glassings around Australia last week. Can you tell me one thing about them?

only about this case as it was committed by a celebrity

if not, the media is not doing its job.

nonsense

it is picking & choosing which individual to crucify via trial by media.

of course it is

bird is famous

the medias job is to tell news - and this is news

ordinary assaults by unknowns happen everyday

There is not 1 balanced bit of reporting at this point by any organisation except for current affair believe it or not.
not 1 article on the rise in glassing attacks in Australia. The number of attacks. The number of male victims/female victims. The number of guilty v aquitals. All the media is interested in here is that an NRL player is off the rails.

of course they are reefy

that is what the public want to know about
Look at the media that happened when Bird was proven innocent inn the Origin affair & the police were caught lying.

there was no such exoneration

1 small piece for 1 day on the news compared to every night for a week prior to the lying deceit & cover up by police all the way through to a government minister!

you may beleive bird was squeaky clean

i think i will side with the polices version of events

i am failing very rapidly to find greg birds say so as credible

I didn't say it was. But lets put in context with Trev the bricklayer & Sheena the office worker & give it the same amount of attention they receive.

that isnt going to happen because it wont be news

If he has done it I would say yes he would be fearing that. but we don't know. His biggest fear at the time though, was the media, as per his conversations to his mate & his manager.

well i dont know how you got that

it was clear he didnt want to take the rap given he was already facing assault charges against another woman

Jimbo

Immortal
Smart's has been hanging for this day since Bird took him out illegally and wrecked his career in or about 2004. Birdy totally poleaxed him and destroyed his dreams.

:lol:

You idiot

Shane Marteene's dreams being unfulfilled had much more to do with Shane Marteene being useless than the nudge Bird gave him

stupidhumour

Juniors
in my opinion , generation K-Y is devoid of anybody who is not a spoilt arrogant smart arrssse....

I would say that is a little over the top - yes, it's your opinion, but being born in 1982 and therefore 'K-Y' I do take exception to an unnecessary generalisation.

Ever since the dollar took over this game, individuals have begun reacting the same way and I do not think it is any one generation's fault.

Take a kid and train him to be able to hurt people effectively, pay him alot of money to do it, surrounding him with 'yes' men who cover up most indiscretions. Combine this with someone with anger management issues and what do you think happens.... Exactly what we see here.....

Yes this is an individual who is accountable for his actions, but (his perspective of) society around him does not seem to have bred the ethics of a non-sport maturation.

Not all of us have inherited our 'Boomer' parents' 25 investment homes yet......

azzah72

Bench
What a load of f*cking shyte. If the cops arrested people for being an arrogant smart arse outside night clubs, they would need a B-double there each night to take away the culprits.
in my opinion , generation K-Y is devoid of anybody who is not a spoilt arrogant smart arrssse.
& don't start me on the type of people at QLD night clubs. FMD.

To mazz's defence, I have seen bird out on the town quite a bit and he dead set looks like he could of clicked at anyone at any moment.
I've always thought he was a couple of screws loose but ignored it as he was playing well and it wasn't like i was a mate or anything, just aquaintences as we bumped into each other reguarly.
I played him once at pool down at northies and beat him, he dead set looked like he wanted to punch on cause i took his table. He had some mate to seemed like he was bad news, looked like an ice user or something.
I have no doubt he was acting like a tool in QLD, at sting bar and all the other places he has had close calls with getting in trouble, i would defend him because i am a sharks fan but to be honest, i think he was just a ticking time bomb waiting to happen and what happen on sunday, he finally snapped.

There's some people that just have anger/mental issues, i have a couple of friends that are a bit like that, i've had to dis accocciate myself with them as they were just bad news, especially on the piss or drugs, Bird reminded me of that, short fuse types. Football was probably his release but even that didn't help him this time.

shame, he was a good player, just not right in the head, made him a grub.

Brookie

Juniors
Ricky was on the radio this morning and said if he is deemed not guilty then he will have him back in the team.

to me that right there sounds like it will be covered up, to make out that it was all an accident.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave Q

Coach
Only the most blind and stupid in our society (including an NRL ref) could possibly suggest that Matene took a dive. And Martene's career was well and truly on the up at the time.

Bird hit him illegally in a callous, vicious and uncalled for tackle. It was a disgraceful un-league-like and totally sickening act.

Bird deserved 2 years in gaol for that conduct alone.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
to me that right there sounds like it will be covered up, to make out that it was all an accident.
Well geez how different can two people read something.

That statement simply says IF the proper authorites find him not guilty he will be back.

And f*cken fair enough too.

But IF found guilty he is gorn.

Fair dinkum.

Last edited by a moderator:

millersnose

Post Whore
what if the police drop the charges if the girl refuses to testify mr envy

should he be allowed back then?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
what if the police drop the charges if the girl refuses to testify mr envy

should he be allowed back then?
Yes Irish if there is no charge, for whatever reason, what right would the Cronulla club have to terminate a contract.

Alternative is found guilty, therefore in breach and sacked.

Would you disagree?

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
nonsense

bird is famous

the medias job is to tell news - and this is news

ordinary assaults by unknowns happen everyday

that is what the public want to know about
so you agree that the only thing that is now news is what happens to celebrities. that is my point.
if advertising is formulae controlled expense then the clubs should make sure the news is as well. There has to be more balance as all the NEWs has turned into is a big version of the National Enquirer. It is rubbish. How can a f*cking whale, Stepanie Rice & Greg Bird be the nations biggest stories in the last fortnight? Its being force fed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts