What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

millersnose

Post Whore
so you agree that the only thing that is now news is what happens to celebrities.

no

if celebrities do stupid things then that is news

in this case quite major news

that is my point.
if advertising is formulae controlled expense then the clubs should make sure the news is as well. There has to be more balance as all the NEWs has turned into is a big version of the National Enquirer. It is rubbish. How can a f*cking whale, Stepanie Rice & Greg Bird be the nations biggest stories in the last fortnight? Its being force fed.

you and me will both agree there are far more important issues in the world but we do not, by ourselves, constitute the market

the media are under no obligation to treat greg bird assaulting his girlfreind as a lesser story than the fact that kevin rudd suggests kakadu will be gone if we dont pay carbon taxes

millersnose

Post Whore
Why?

Is he guilty already in your eyes?

I am at a loss to understand.

if it went to trial and bird was found noty guilt after all facts and testimony is submitted then i would assume he was innocent

if at this stage the police were to drop charges due to the girlfreind refusing to testify then i would conclude that she has a settlement and doesnt want the embarassment of a court case

therefor bird would be guilty

as gregos has said it is not uncommon for such cases to be dropped

and we do know one thing - the girl was assaulted

Brookie

Juniors
no we don't.

alleged remember that word... alleged.

well we DO KNOW a girl was glassed

whether it was bird throwing it in anger (cause she was being a 'f*cking idiot), whether she did it to her self (for attention), whether it was his mate who was 'allegedly' playing golf.... she got glassed.

most of us are going by the 'facts' presented to us from the media.

TBH it looks like he's in a whole lot of trouble

Dave Q

Coach
this is a serious thread daveq

if you want to be silly start another thread somewhere else

I am taking it seriously. I couldnt let people get away with suggesting that It wasnt a shocking tackle.

And Martene was in the papers earlier in the year dissing Birdy.

Anyway...

CRIMES ACT 1900 - SECT 33

Wounding or grievous bodily harm with intent
33 Wounding or grievous bodily harm with intent

(1) Intent to cause grievous bodily harm A person who:
(a) wounds any person, or
(b) causes grievous bodily harm to any person,
with intent to cause grievous bodily harm to that or any other person is guilty of an offence.
Maximum penalty: Imprisonment for 25 years.
(2) Intent to resist arrest A person who:
(a) wounds any person, or
(b) causes grievous bodily harm to any person,
with intent to resist or prevent his or her (or another person’s) lawful arrest or detention is guilty of an offence.
Maximum penalty: Imprisonment for 25 years.
(3) Alternative verdict If on the trial of a person charged with an offence against this section the jury is not satisfied that the offence is proven but is satisfied that the person has committed an offence against section 35, the jury may acquit the person of the offence charged and find the person guilty of an offence against section 35. The person is liable to punishment accordingly.

Definition of GBH:

"Grievous bodily harm" includes:
(a) the destruction (other than in the course of a medical procedure) of the foetus of a pregnant woman, whether or not the woman suffers any other harm, and​
(b) any permanent or serious disfiguring of the person, and​
(c) any grievous bodily disease (in which case a reference to the infliction of grievous bodily harm includes a reference to causing a person to contract a grievous bodily disease).

Love Dave

Accredited Idiot #142

Last edited:

millersnose

Post Whore
no we don't.

alleged remember that word... alleged.

carc

i admire your loyalty

but mate the girl was assaulted

police beleive and have presented evidence to a judge who has accepted that bird has a case to answer for assaulting her

they also claim as backed by a witness bird has tried to shift the blame for the assault to someone else

to be honest i think what gregos was aluding to earlier in this thread with his 'man up bird' comment was that i think a likely outcome will be bird will get off criminal charges as the girl will not testify

and i for one hope the club does not take bird back under such a circumstance

what about you?

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Please read the thread before posting something that has been on here at twice so far.
Thanks Dave. Like Souths, always late.

Sharkman

Juniors
Wow - what a way to bring me out of the woodwork. I haven't posted in like four years and the last time I did it was when Beeker and redback were getting ready to for a 100m sprint race or something. (now thats going back!)

The Sharks have handled this correctly. Stood down pending a trial.

Now we just get on with it and whatever happens, I hope the young lady recovers fully.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
if it went to trial and bird was found noty guilt after all facts and testimony is submitted then i would assume he was innocent
As would I

if at this stage the police were to drop charges due to the girlfreind refusing to testify then i would conclude that she has a settlement and doesnt want the embarassment of a court case

Wow, seeing as were are doing what ifs, what if she was a troubled soul, very drunk and glassed herself to get back at him for soemthing. Then when sober decided to drop the charges, as I read your comment he would still be guilty. (Not suggesting this did happen)

It can also be the case that self defence was involved. (again not saying this is the case)

But by whom?

Bird looks guilty to me, but I as always will let the courts decide. If guilty I am satisfied he will get what he deserves

blacktip-reefy

Immortal

what about you?

What if & what ifs. if we do not know the full story & they are happy together then it is none of anybodies business really is it. We may never know the full story. We can probably thank the news for that.

carcharias

Immortal
carc

i admire your loyalty

but mate the girl was assaulted

police beleive and have presented evidence to a judge who has accepted that bird has a case to answer for assaulting her

they also claim as backed by a witness bird has tried to shift the blame for the assault to someone else

to be honest i think what gregos was aluding to earlier in this thread with his 'man up bird' comment was that i think a likely outcome will be bird will get off criminal charges as the girl will not testify

what about you?

Nothing has been proved.
She was hurt.
she was allegedlly assualted.

I doubt he will be back if she backs down and goes home.
I doubt I would want him back .

Jimbo

Immortal
Wow - what a way to bring me out of the woodwork. I haven't posted in like four years and the last time I did it was when Beeker and redback were getting ready to for a 100m sprint race or something. (now thats going back!)

'The' Sharkman?? :shock:

Welcome back!!

millersnose

Post Whore
Wow, seeing as were are doing what ifs, what if she was a troubled soul, very drunk and glassed herself to get back at him for soemthing.

then why try to pin it on a freind?

why not ring the police and ambulance?

that one doesnt make any sense mr envy

It can also be the case that self defence was involved. (again not saying this is the case)

again why try to pin it on a freind

But by whom?

well the judge and police certainly beleive greg bird shopuld stand trial for it

Bird looks guilty to me, but I as always will let the courts decide. If guilty I am satisfied he will get what he deserves

then i take you back to my original question mr envy

what if their is no trial because the girl refuses to testify - not unlikely in such circumstances

would you be happy if the club take bird back in such a circumstance

samshark

Juniors

Millers, the charges will not be dropped. Police will proceed at trial with or without her statement. Its domestic related. Dont need a statement to proceed.

carcharias

Immortal
indeed

my feelings exactly

its because our brains often follow a path of logic

and logic would lead us to the same conclusion

well like I said ..my brother had a pretty little girlfiend once upon a time.

She was a fuggen nutjob and would totally lose it...and was more than capable of doing lots worse than this to herself and him.

So anything is possible.....plus it is my natural suspicious streak to distrust all seppo's.:sarcasm:

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
then i take you back to my original question mr envy

what if their is no trial because the girl refuses to testify - not unlikely in such circumstances

would you be happy if the club take bird back in such a circumstance
If he has no case to answer Millers yes they should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts