What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PJ

First Grade
her story?

meaning what REALLY happened that morning?

or the i still love greg and won't testify against him STORY?

I don't know, do you? You seem to be an expert on it without actually saying exactly what happened and how you know that is exactly what happened.

can someone pls answer, why would you lie and dob in someone who wasn't even there? especially if you're innocent

If it was to avoid a potential media circus over what was an accident, yes I probably would. If it was as a cover over serious criminal charges or to the police no I wouldn't. Would you ask a mate to lie for you if you believed that the repurcussions for him would be minimal or nil yet quite major for you?

Simple thing is Brookie until things are actually out in the open you can pretend all you like that you know what happened you don't. And despite all your admiration for those unbiaised sharks fans will you give up your biais if the police don't even go through with the charges?

Personally I haven't made up my mind about what I think happened, but hope if the police believe that they have it right, and are right then I hope he gets everything he has coming to him. If it was an accident then I am not sure that I want him staying at the club either, but there are a lot more actual facts to come out yet rather than what you have read in the paper.

PJ

First Grade
So Shintaro if he didn't assault her why hasn't she done something to try and clear him?

millersnose

Post Whore
this is the question sharks fans keep avoiding!
i think you should keep accurate

there are many sharks fans who do not support bird and have expressed that view in this thread

we are a proud club who dont have a record of covering up for our players involvement in wife beating - our club takes action

neither do we stop to hiring thugs who stick their fingers in other players asses on the playing field

manly however has a poor record in such circumstances so would be far better have their fans advise us on how to stomach wife beaters and anal fingerers in our side

shintaro

Juniors
So Shintaro if he didn't assault her why hasn't she done something to try and clear him?

So they have something to sell. If everyone knows all about it its value is nil.
Rule 1...Silence is golden
Rule 3...Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

coolumsharkie

Referee
By that way of thinking though, wouldn't you rather clear your bf's name so he can continue to earn elite sportsmans wagers?

PJ

First Grade
Why not sell it while the interest is high then?

As sensational a story as it is it will slip as the season ends, the finals get under way and further once the Sharks are out of the finals.

If it was an accident then getting out there now may help Bird if he wants to try and play again this year.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
The legal wheels would be in full motion PJ. As Shintaro mentioned earlier, initial perceptions are the ones that stick.
it is very important now that the management keeps control of the situation & give the police & media absolutely nothing, as is their rights.
When she comes out & says something & her face is all better, the accident can be explained without perceptions being made.
Bird won't play again this year though, that is certain.
He won't play for the Sharks again, that is 99%.
I would put $100 on Bird winning a grand final though before the Sharks do.

PJ

First Grade
So where is he likely to end up? Newcastle?

What I can't understand is if he is to play NRL again it can't be with the club that brought him through grade and developed him, and that he has a contract with.

spider

Coach
shintaro said:
So they have something to sell. If everyone knows all about it its value is nil.
you dont think birds innocense has a value?

is he more concerned with making a dollar from this than proving his case - lol

this is hilarity at its best

Rule 1...Silence is golden
Rule 3...Never let the truth get in the way of a good story
is that from another book from reefy's library?

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
So where is he likely to end up? Newcastle?

What I can't understand is if he is to play NRL again it can't be with the club that brought him through grade and developed him, and that he has a contract with.

invested in him PJ. Lots of time, money, effort & lost players.
he will play in the NRL again.

PJ

First Grade
I understand the investment, and think that it is wrong that the Sharks miss out on the benefits of the investment if someone else is able to gain said benefit, especially since it is through no fault of the Sharks.

I have thought for a while the NRL should have a standard position where a player that is sacked by a club is unable to play for another club without the approval of the original club.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
here is an old US study on headlines & the number 1 rule of journalism you enquired about Spider.

By Jeff Cohen and Norman Solomon

Step off a plane anywhere in the United States, tune into the local TV news programs -- and you're likely to see a succession of reports on murders, shootouts, rapes, traffic wrecks, fires and other grisly events.

That's how we began a column three years ago. With television news deteriorating in localities across the country, we decried a trend that was making a mockery of claims that commercial TV stations keep the public informed about current events.

Last week, we blew the dust off our commentary after reading a new study. A monitoring group analyzed tapes of local evening news programs that aired the same day this fall on 100 television stations in 35 states.

"Stations use sensation and tabloid journalism to manipulate and condition viewers," concluded the Denver-based Rocky Mountain Media Watch organization. "Crime stories, mainly murder, dominate half the newscasts."

On local news programs around the nation:

Fully 30 percent of the news was devoted to crime. Coverage of government came in a distant second at 11 percent.
In a "Mayhem Index" of local newscasts, "stories about crime, disaster and war average 42 percent of the news on all 100 stations."
Environmental stories accounted for 2 percent of the local TV news time. Poverty received 1.8 percent of air time. Unions and labor overall got 1.6 percent. Civil rights netted 0.9 percent.
Meanwhile, there was no lack of fluff. Monitors found extensive coverage of such news items as a Miss Bald USA contest, a beauty contest for cows, a bourbon-tasting contest in Texas and a kangaroo who fell into a swimming pool in Australia.
Quality TV news reporting still exists, but it's extremely rare. "The excesses of the local TV news industry are now chronic, habitual and institutionalized," says the new report.

So, unfortunately, the column we wrote on the subject a few years ago is even more relevant today. For this reason, we present a portion of that column:

In many local TV newsrooms, the tacit rule is: "If it bleeds, it leads." Often, the more lurid the story, the better its chances of topping the broadcast. The results are a lot closer to "America's Most Wanted" or "A Current Affair" than anything that might make a journalist feel proud.

Violent calamities -- breathlessly narrated with arresting footage of police tape, body bags and the like -- fascinate TV news programmers. But context is usually absent; attention is lavished on tragic events but not on what might have caused (or prevented) them.

Intent on providing adrenalin-pumping visuals, local TV coverage is apt to emulate the bang-bang tone of prime-time dramas, augmented by comments from tearful loved ones, witnesses and police.

Dramatic crime reports and brief news items are accompanied by anchors' "happy talk" chatter, weather and sports reports...and, of course, plenty of commercials -- about one minute of ads for every four minutes of "news." To round out the show, local broadcasts commonly close with a cuddly "human interest" story affirming the basic goodness of the community.

It all may be a bit bewildering, but TV news is not about making sense -- it's about making money. Lots of it. Advertiser dollars are drawn to local TV news, partly because -- as The New York Times has put it -- "many sponsors think news programs attract affluent viewers." It's a winning formula for the owners, and a losing one for the public.

Even when dealing with substantive topics, local TV news reporting tends to be shoddy. In 1990, the Columbia Journalism Review published a devastating account by researcher John McManus, who spent 50 days inside TV newsrooms in several metropolitan areas.

"Overall," he reported, "18 of the 32 stories analyzed -- 56 percent -- were inaccurate or misleading." Making matters worse, "often, the station made no effort to correct obvious omissions."

McManus found a pattern to the mis-coverage: "There is an economic logic to these distortions and inaccuracies. All but one...were likely to increase the story's appeal, help cut down the cost of reporting or oversimplify a story so it could be told in two minutes."

The abysmal condition of most local TV news largely reflects a deregulated broadcast industry that has scant commitment to the public interest and fervent commitment to maximizing profits.

Eager to know what's going on in their neighborhoods and in the region, many people who have a low opinion of local TV news end up watching it anyway. What they see on television -- night after night -- ignores major issues and hobbles the ability of communities to confront their problems.

http://www.fair.org/media-beat/951213.html

Status
Not open for further replies.