What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
0h YEAH!!! they industry reports make that old one look tame. The reports were so bad in the late 90's I believe legislation & media ownership laws were changed.
This statement is the succinct description of an Australian news room. "McManus found a pattern to the mis-coverage: "There is an economic logic to these distortions and inaccuracies. All but one...were likely to increase the story's appeal, help cut down the cost of reporting or oversimplify a story so it could be told in two minutes.""

PJ

First Grade
is there one for australian journalism?

Do you think our guys are any better.

I remember a bit on 60 minutes, when they used to have some credibility, where they had a peice on a school that was alleged to have had sexual assaults on some students. They interviewed the prinicipal and when asked a direct question about the assualts he started clearing his throat and avoided the question, giving the impression he had something to hide.

On media watch they played the whole interview where he answered the question very clearly and concisely then minutes later and on an unrelated question he started clearing his throat and asked for a glass of water. This was what was substituted for the answer to the difficult question.

the next week on 60 minutes, at the end of the show, one of the journalists jokingly referred to how Media Watch had bought up a minor editing error and literally laughed it off. Only those who saw media watch knew the minor editing "error" completely changed the context of the interview and the whole story.

So Spider, our guys may not be as bad as the US, but imo they aren't that far off and heading the same direction.

shintaro

Juniors
A Current Affair went downhill the day Mike Willessee and Jana Wendt left ( or went ). He refused to cow tail to the management over content & standards etc. I haven't watched it since.

spider

Coach
Do you think our guys are any better.
lol - my overall view on journalism has been expressed quite a few times through this thread

but i also have stated that if birds outcome is weighted off the back of what the media have reported then its more amusing than watson doing it

either way, katie milligan imo did not inflict those facial injuries on herself

and no course of action leading to such injuries is a defence in any way, shape or form imo

but lets pick away at the media - that will catch the judge off guard - lol

Surely

Post Whore
What difference does it make if Milligan comes out and says to the press it was an accident, the lynch mob has already hung him and will just say, oh she's saying that because she loves him.

What is important is what milligan says in court, and the way this whole thing has been blown up by the vultures why would she talk to the press. They'll just take whatever she says and put a sensationalist slant on it.

If I was Bird and charges are dropped i would be sueing the pants off the press, the mud has stuck and if he is innocent it won't matter because half of you have already made up your mind.

spider

Coach
does anyone think, in their opinion that katie milligan may have had an accident of her own accord, which resulted in sustaining those facial injuries?

Brookie

Juniors
does anyone think, in their opinion that katie milligan may have had an accident of her own accord, which resulted in sustaining those facial injuries?

na prob not, why blame gregs mate then?

if it was an accident, why not come straight out and say? clear the man she so dearly loves?

shintaro

Juniors
lol - my overall view on journalism has been expressed quite a few times through this thread

but i also have stated that if birds outcome is weighted off the back of what the media have reported then its more amusing than watson doing it

and no course of action leading to such injuries is a defence in any way, shape or form imo

I'm not saying he's guilty or innocent.
I would like to point out though that if it's your lucky day you too can be: Put on the skin bus & driven through Tuna Town............... and there's not a damn thing you can do about it.

Brookie

Juniors
lol now i'm an idiot!
just cause i share the opinion of many RL fans, that he is guilty as sin!

f*ck sharkies fans are bloody precious, i actually hope you's win something soon, the stench of your desperation is unbearable!

imagine if this was a bulldogs player, the talk would be worse then that of gregs case.
everyone would want the player gone, but lets forget the facts... the bloke lied to police, WHY THE F*CK WOULD YOU LIE IF IT WAS ALL AN ACCIDENT?

PJ

First Grade
And what would you be saying if it was a Manly player Brookie?

AS Millers asked were you happy with Hoppa coming back after he assaulted other players in a disgusting fashion that bought shame to the game internationally?

sharks8601

Juniors
sharks are still paying his contract now
and will continue paying his contract next year when he is still wearing our jersey

PJ

First Grade

Of course Birds outcome should not be weighted off the media, but it is where the court of public opinion is getting their information and imo most have made up their minds, and are highly unlikely to change them, based on either totally wrong information (fractured eye socket) or potentially wrong information. That is all I am argueing.

I don't believe that she inflicted those injuries either, but I don't know for a fact she didn't, do you?

I agree and disagree on the course of action leading to injuries bit. I can't condone any sort of attacking a woman, either physical or verbal, but I think there is a world of difference between someone throwing a drink at someone and having the glass slip and strike them and then someone who deliberatly * allegedly *"glasses" someone as was reported for the first week or so.

Either way for mine I probably wouldn't want Bird playing for the Sharks, though until I have a much better idea of what happened I won't make up my mind on that and even then what I think is irrelevant (ftr if it was a deliverate assault imo he deserves incarceration), but as stated before I don't think another club should be able to benefit from the work Cronulla have put into the player.

Be very interesting to see how quickly Brookie got down off his high horse if Bird was lining up with Watmough at the Sea Eagles comparing AVO's.

Last edited by a moderator:

Surely

Post Whore
lol now i'm an idiot!
just cause i share the opinion of many RL fans, that he is guilty as sin!

f*ck sharkies fans are bloody precious, i actually hope you's win something soon, the stench of your desperation is unbearable!

imagine if this was a bulldogs player, the talk would be worse then that of gregs case.
everyone would want the player gone, but lets forget the facts... the bloke lied to police, WHY THE F*CK WOULD YOU LIE IF IT WAS ALL AN ACCIDENT?

Because of f**kwits like you who have already pressumed guilt.

Status
Not open for further replies.