What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inferno

Coach
Once again I've been out all day, any chance some kind soul could summarise today's developments?

Frenzy.

Post Whore
This wont happen. Very few offenders and alleged offenders ever actually tell the truth. Making up alibis, blaming other people and other things is all part of the game. Not sure this offence actually exixts anyway. Ive never seen it used. There is an offence for 'Make false statement' but Bird hasnt gone on record.

It exists sam. Fairly regular charge we see in the big house. A bloke I used to work with is getting sentenced on a pervert course of justice charge in October.

Surely

Post Whore
It exists sam. Fairly regular charge we see in the big house. A bloke I used to work with is getting sentenced on a pervert course of justice charge in October.

I doubt the charge you are refering to applies in Birds case.

When you are the accused you can bullsh*t all you like to the police.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
They right whatever they like and people form an opinion on it over a few days of being fed fabrications. later it's shown not to be the case but it's too late. First impressions.

I doubt the hospital would be ringing the paper to say that's incorrect.

You're right. They can't. Privacy Act. They'd need a signed release of information form from Gilligan. It has been known to be done anonymously though by nurses, doctors, cleaners or the like who like to agitate. Getting caught giving out medical info is a big no no though.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
I doubt the charge you are refering to applies in Birds case.

When you are the accused you can bullsh*t all you like to the police.

I don't know either way Sure. Just pointing out it is a bona fide charge if and when it's relevant.

In Bird's case though I'd hazzard a guess that "justice" would be bringing to bear the perpetrator of the deed that injured Gilligan. If the charges do in fact get dropped there's no "justice" to pervert.

That'd be my rudimentary understanding.

Dave Q

Coach
The alleged victim needs to get her own independent legal advice and she needs to be advised of the following offence:

CRIMES ACT 1900 - SECT 327

Offence of perjury
327 Offence of perjury

(1) Any person who in or in connection with any judicial proceeding makes any false statement on oath concerning any matter which is material to the proceeding, knowing the statement to be false or not believing it to be true, is guilty of perjury and liable to imprisonment for 10 years.
(2) A statement can be considered to have been made in connection with a judicial proceeding whether or not a judicial proceeding has commenced, or ever commences, in connection with it.
(3) The determination of whether a statement is material to a judicial proceeding that has not commenced is to be made on the basis of any judicial proceeding likely to arise in connection with the statement.
(4) The question of whether any matter is material to a proceeding is a question of law.

and for those who think playing cat and mouse with the cops is easy:-

CRIMES ACT 1900 - SECT 315

Hindering investigation etc
315 Hindering investigation etc

(1) A person who does anything intending in any way to hinder:
(a) the investigation of a serious indictable offence committed by another person, or​
(b) the discovery of evidence concerning a serious indictable offence committed by another person, or​
(c) the apprehension of another person who has committed a serious indictable offence,​
is liable to imprisonment for 7 years.​
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), a person is to be considered to have committed a serious indictable offence if a public officer engaged in the detection or investigation of offenders suspects on reasonable grounds that a person has committed the offence.​
(3) It is not an offence against this section merely to refuse or fail to divulge information or produce evidence.

Love Dave.

Last edited:

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Perhaps Gilligan isn't speaking now because she's already said too much and been told to STFU.

How come no one is speculating on possible drug/alcohol use? They'd been out ALL night. Drink and drugs loosen lips. Loose lips sink ships.

I'd suppose there's another possibilty but I am not inferring this or outright saying it.

Just wondered.

BTW. How did Gilligan get to the hospital? 000 call?

So many questions

NO answers

Brookie

Juniors
Perhaps Gilligan isn't speaking now because she's already said too much and been told to STFU.

How come no one is speculating on possible drug/alcohol use? They'd been out ALL night. Drink and drugs loosen lips. Loose lips sink ships.

I'd suppose there's another possibilty but I am not inferring this or outright saying it.

Just wondered.

BTW. How did Gilligan get to the hospital? 000 call?

So many questions

NO answers

if you mean milligan, greg drove her

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Excerpt from Rugby League Week article today. No link. Typed verbatim.

Suspended Sharks star Greg Bird is being paid $1000 a day by Cronulla as he waits for the courts to decide his future.

Stood down by the Sharks till his assault case goes to court in October, Bird remains on the Sharks payroll.

Althought the Test pivot is expected to play no part in the Sharks' finals charge, the club is honouring his $350,000-a-year contract.

Bird was stood down by the club after being arrested for allegedly "glassing" his girlfriend Kate Milligan at the pair's Cronulla apartment on Sunday, August 24.

Sources have told RLW that the Sharks will not tear up Bird's contract unless he is convicted in court.

RLW has also learnt that as he awaits his fate, Bird is seeking counselling and has had several meetings with highly credentialled life coach Charlie Hunter.

Why would he need counselling? Is it to do with depression over it all or is it something else related to something else.

Or perhaps.........

.......something else

coolumsharkie

Referee
Why would he need counselling? Is it to do with depression over it all or is it something else related to something else.

Or perhaps.........

.......something else

I'd take a stab in the dark and say that this is all part of the plan to keep him at Cronulla.

Special K

Coach
I would assume the club has set the counseling up for him. I'm sure they are very worried about his mental state and want to ensure he is able to talk to someone about things without fear of it getting leaked.

His day would pretty much consist of sitting at home watching tv, playing xbox(if he has one) and sitting around waiting. It would suck for someone who has spent their life being so active and being in such a team environment. I would be extremely hard for him to function as he has nobody and I doubt the players would be allowed to go visit him meaning he would only get the odd call and even then would you want to answer?

Frenzy.

Post Whore
I would assume the club has set the counseling up for him. I'm sure they are very worried about his mental state and want to ensure he is able to talk to someone about things without fear of it getting leaked.

His day would pretty much consist of sitting at home watching tv, playing xbox(if he has one) and sitting around waiting. It would suck for someone who has spent their life being so active and being in such a team environment. I would be extremely hard for him to function as he has nobody and I doubt the players would be allowed to go visit him meaning he would only get the odd call and even then would you want to answer?

He can't be active now?

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts