What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nullajet

Juniors
if charges are dropper...he should be back playing for us.

People can insinuate what they like about the whole thing...guilty or not..he has not been convicted and like any of us in the same situation ..should be free to go back to his normal life (playing for the sharks).

spider

Coach
I think the longer this drags out the more likely charges are going to be dropped
i dont see how it is dragging out though squiddy

its quite an early date set for his day in court

squiddy said:
it was interesting the brief in the paper today about Birdy telling his mates his side of the story and that it will make very interesting evidence.
well he has had plenty of time to work on it

squiddy said:
There is just so much doubt with this he will get off , the truth will make a very interesting story ,
why not base his case on the truth as opposed to relying on aquittal by means of doubt?

People can insinuate what they like about the whole thing...guilty or not..he has not been convicted and like any of us in the same situation ..should be free to go back to his normal life (playing for the sharks).
do you think he had no hand at all in the injuries sustained by katie milligan?

and if so, why not tell the truth from the start?

Don't expect anything miraculous on October 8th.

He will enter a plea of not guilty. It will be put over.

There may be some comment from the bar regarding the defence making representations to have the matter withdrawn which will then be put in writing. The matter will be referred to the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions who, will consider the representations.

Either way...

I have told the police you did it. How do you feel about that?

+

Telling the CEO of your club that it was an argument between two guests at your unit.

=

Birdy playing overseas.

Can't say I disagree, either.

Spider said:
do you think he had no hand at all in the injuries sustained by katie milligan?

and if so, why not tell the truth from the start?

The problem is Spider... unless he raises self-defence he won't ever have to tell anyone anything. Its not up to him to say anything... its up to the prosecution to prove it. Difficult given Milligans calculated comments of late.

There are certain indisputable facts as far as I see it. There was an argument. There was a serious injury. There was communication between Bird and Milligan; Bird and his mate; Bird and his club.

BUT....

He doesn't have to offer comment on any of it. He doesn't have to explain why he sent the text messages. Nothing. And in the safety of a post-legal arena... when everything has died down.. he may be safe to explain it all away.

And I've said it before.. like a broken record...

There's often a world of difference between an acquittal and innocence.

spider

Coach
The problem is Spider... unless he raises self-defence he won't ever have to tell anyone anything. Its not up to him to say anything... its up to the prosecution to prove it. Difficult given Milligans calculated comments of late.
yes, true gregos

i wonder where that will leave the club legally in respect of his contract if he is aquitted

one would think he would play again, or take action if he was to be sacked

i know if i was 'innocent', and i use the term lightly here, then i would fight tooth and nail to resume with my club and the earnings i was on

You're right Spider.

However, at the end of the day he still lied to the CEO and the CEO went to press backing him because of that lie.

I'd say that will ensure he plays in England at the end of the day.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
However, at the end of the day he still lied to the CEO and the CEO went to press backing him because of that lie.
Apparently that is debatable. Somebody else from the club knew about the incident, long before Zapps. It was mentioned to me that it is nigh impossible to talk to the players directly.

squiddy

Juniors
lol @ reefy still defending him:crazy:

let it go, the guy's gone, at least for this year:cool:

Maybe gone for the year but f**k why cant you defend him ?

I have totally changed my opinion over the past 2 weeks from wanting to lock the guy up for life to maybe hearing the full story and end result ?

Face it the guy will get off - no risk , the police don't have a case . The alledged victim isnt going to testify , the alledged victim is unhappy with the police handling of the case , the alledged victim is unhappy with the reporting of it , the alledged victims father is happy with the situation ( that will do me right there !) .

All the police have is a trail of blood and neighbours hearing shouting.

FFS when I lived in Parramamatta st cronulla all those years back I heard domestics in a different unit almost every weekend , and you could guarantee a fight in the street and some blood every so often too , they tell me its even worse now !

the hearing is only a mention in October , dont be a bit surprised if charges are dropped then , the DPP will advise the police they will have a hard time proving anything without a victims statement , especially if the victim is unwilling to co-operate and making public statements about her support for the alledged attacker !!

I'm more than a little peed off about the lies etc at first but face it , adrenaline charged , career flashing in front of you etc etc would you think straight ?

spider

Coach
Face it the guy will get off - no risk , the police don't have a case . The alledged victim isnt going to testify , the alledged victim is unhappy with the police handling of the case , the alledged victim is unhappy with the reporting of it , the alledged victims father is happy with the situation ( that will do me right there !) .
cant say i see anything alleged regarding the victim, katie

the injuries are quite evident

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Maybe gone for the year but f**k why cant you defend him ?

I have totally changed my opinion over the past 2 weeks from wanting to lock the guy up for life to maybe hearing the full story and end result ?

All the police have is a trail of blood and neighbours hearing shouting.

FFS when I lived in Parramamatta st cronulla all those years back I heard domestics in a different unit almost every weekend , and you could guarantee a fight in the street and some blood every so often too , they tell me its even worse now !

the hearing is only a mention in October , dont be a bit surprised if charges are dropped then , the DPP will advise the police they will have a hard time proving anything without a victims statement , especially if the victim is unwilling to co-operate and making public statements about her support for the alledged attacker !!

I'm more than a little peed off about the lies etc at first but face it , adrenaline charged , career flashing in front of you etc etc would you think straight ?

The police have a case. They have a victim. Maybe the alleged victim has already said too much? Might be why she's trying to smooth it over now. How the alleged victim feels about how the police have handled the case so far counts for diddly squat. Same thing with how it's been reported. Might be she's unhappy about all that because it's closer to the truth than she'd like in the cold, sober light of day after the fact. The victim's father counts for nothing either. Who says he's happy anyway. A journo? :lol: :lol:

Dave Q

Coach
I still think he should be allowed to play whilst the matter is before the courts and whilst no finding of guilty or a plea has been entered.

There are a number of precedents for this already.

Perhaps the NRL should direct the clubs to follow the basic tenet of the criminal law namely that a person is innocent until found or pleads otherwise.

Even if hes found to be innocent or the cops pull out, his career and reputation lies in complete tatters. Mud sticks, people will believe he done it anyway and they will hate him for it.

He will find it hard to get on with things post-career. He will become negative, more depressed and probably unproductive. He may even become suicidal or have feelings of self-harm. He may become reclusive and withdrawn. He may engage in anti-social conduct. He may need medication for the rest of his life to help him cope.

I suppose the important lesson is not to drink very much or put yourself in danger and stay out of the extra-curricula footy scene as much as possible.

Surely

Post Whore
I still think he should be allowed to play whilst the matter is before the courts and whilst no finding of guilty or a plea has been entered.

There are a number of precedents for this already.

Perhaps the NRL should direct the clubs to follow the basic tenet of the criminal law namely that a person is innocent until found or pleads otherwise.

Even if hes found to be innocent or the cops pull out, his career and reputation lies in complete tatters. Mud sticks, people will believe he done it anyway and they will hate him for it.

He will find it hard to get on with things post-career. He will become negative, more depressed and probably unproductive. He may even become suicidal or have feelings of self-harm. He may become reclusive and withdrawn. He may engage in anti-social conduct. He may need medication for the rest of his life to help him cope.

I suppose the important lesson is not to drink very much or put yourself in danger and stay out of the extra-curricula footy scene as much as possible.

Or not have a girlfriend.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
I agree Dave. From day one I posed this question.

Then again, as you know Dave, criminals all to often don't give a f**k about their actions.

imasharkie

Coach
lol @ reefy still defending him:crazy:

let it go, the guy's gone, at least for this year:cool:

you must want Watmough booted out of your club too. Or maybe you are so pizzed off that Manly didn't sack him that you're now a North Sydney Bears supporter and farked Manly off.

samshark

Juniors
Did you guys read last weeks RLW where Bird is apparantly having sessions with well some well known life coach Charlie somebody. Gallen uses him as well. Journo also mentioned that his sources indicated that Bird would not be sacked if found not guilty.

Status
Not open for further replies.