What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quigs

Immortal
Mr Holmes got to bed 10,000 women so am I reliably told by a reliable source whose friend knows you know who.

So I am not about to disclose the exact number of women that have spent the best two minutes of their lives with me... but needless to say Ive still got well over 9,988 to catch up to Johnny boy.

I don't particularly care how Johnny died, its the way he went about it. Afterall life is all about role models.

And I for one will volunteer my small bit for the fillum should it eventuate.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

Dave Q

Coach
Following gunna's recent insights, the following criteria is what Birdy's solicitor would have addressed at the previous bail hearing before the magistrate:

BAIL ACT 1978 - SECT 32

Criteria to be considered in bail applications
32 Criteria to be considered in bail applications

(1) In making a determination as to the grant of bail to an accused person, an authorised officer or court shall take into consideration the following matters (so far as they can reasonably be ascertained), and the following matters only:
(a) the probability of whether or not the person will appear in court in respect of the offence for which bail is being considered, having regard only to:
(i) the person’s background and community ties, as indicated (in the case of a person other than an Aboriginal person or a Torres Strait Islander) by the history and details of the person’s residence, employment and family situations and the person’s prior criminal record (if known), and​
(ia) the person’s background and community ties, as indicated (in the case of an Aboriginal person or a Torres Strait Islander) by the person’s ties to extended family and kinship and other traditional ties to place and the person’s prior criminal record (if known),​
(ii) any previous failure to appear in court pursuant to a bail undertaking or pursuant to a recognizance of bail entered into before the commencement of this section, and​
(iii) the circumstances of the offence (including its nature and seriousness), the strength of the evidence against the person and the severity of the penalty or probable penalty, and​
(iv) any specific evidence indicating whether or not it is probable that the person will appear in court, and​
(b) the interests of the person, having regard only to:
(i) the period that the person may be obliged to spend in custody if bail is refused and the conditions under which the person would be held in custody, and​
(ii) the needs of the person to be free to prepare for the person’s appearance in court or to obtain legal advice or both, and​
(iii) the needs of the person to be free for any lawful purpose not mentioned in subparagraph (ii), and​
(iv) whether or not the person is, in the opinion of the authorised officer or court, incapacitated by intoxication, injury or use of a drug or is otherwise in danger of physical injury or in need of physical protection,​
(v) if the person is under the age of 18 years, or is an Aboriginal person or a Torres Strait Islander, or has an intellectual disability or is mentally ill, any special needs of the person arising from that fact, and​
(vi) if the person is a person referred to in section 9B (3), the nature of the person’s criminal history, having regard to the nature and seriousness of any indictable offences of which the person has been previously convicted, the number of any previous such offences and the length of periods between those offences, and​
(b1) the protection of:
(i) any person against whom it is alleged that the offence concerned was committed, and​
(ii) the close relatives of any such person, and​
(iii) any other person the authorised officer or court considers to be in need of protection because of the circumstances of the case,​
(c) the protection and welfare of the community, having regard only to:
(i) the nature and seriousness of the offence, in particular whether the offence is of a sexual or violent nature or involves the possession or use of an offensive weapon or instrument within the meaning of the Crimes Act 1900 , and​
(ii) whether or not the person has failed, or has been arrested for an anticipated failure, to observe a reasonable bail condition previously imposed in respect of the offence, and​
(iii) the likelihood of the person interfering with evidence, witnesses or jurors, and​
(iv) whether or not it is likely that the person will commit any serious offence while at liberty on bail, but the authorised officer or court may have regard to this likelihood only if permitted to do so under subsection (2), and​
(v) if the offence for which bail is being considered is a serious offence, whether, at the time the person is alleged to have committed the offence, the person had been granted bail, or released on parole, in connection with any other serious offence, and​
(vi) if the offence for which bail is being considered is an offence that involves the possession or use of an offensive weapon or instrument within the meaning of the Crimes Act 1900 , any prior criminal record (if known) of the person in respect of such an offence.​
(2) The authorised officer or court may, for the purposes of subsection (1) (c) (iv), have regard to whether or not it is likely that the person will commit one or more serious offences while at liberty on bail if the officer or court is satisfied that:
(a) the person is likely to commit the offences, and​
(b) that likelihood, together with the likely consequences, outweighs the person’s general right to be at liberty.​
(2A) The following matters are to be considered in determining for the purposes of subsection (1) (c) or (2) whether an offence is a serious offence (but do not limit the matters that can be considered):
(a) whether the offence is of a sexual or violent nature or involves the possession or use of an offensive weapon or instrument within the meaning of the Crimes Act 1900 ,​
(b) the likely effect of the offence on any victim and on the community generally,​
(c) the number of offences likely to be committed or for which the person has been granted bail or released on parole.​
(3) For the purposes of this section, the authorised officer or court may take into account any evidence or information which the officer or court considers credible or trustworthy in the circumstances and, in that regard, is not bound by the principles or rules of law governing the admission of evidence.​
(4) In having regard to the details of residence, as referred to in subsection (1) (a) (i), of an accused person who is under the age of 18 years, the fact that the person does not reside with a parent or guardian of the person shall be ignored.​
(5) The reference in subsection (1) (a) (i) to an accused person’s residence includes a reference to the residential address at which the person may generally be found.​
(6) This section applies to an offence to which section 8A, 8B or 8F applies, and a grant of bail to which section 8C or 8E applies, but does not prevent consideration of any matter accepted by the authorised officer or court as relevant to the question of whether bail should not be refused.​
(7) This section applies to a grant of bail to which section 9C or 9D applies, but does not prevent consideration of any matter accepted by the authorised officer or court as relevant to the question of whether bail should be granted under that section.​
The lawyer would have addressed each relevent point. If he's been charged before and turned up to all court events, that would have been a plus for him in seeking bail on that occasion.

It doesnt say anything specific about the need to play for the sharks!

Dave Q

Coach
Yes Spides, its one of the few instances in court where having a record can help you-provided that you have attended court each time in the past.

As for the Dodger comment's, I havent read the Bail Act for some time.

( I can hear quig's quipping : yeah, like the last time you were in front of a beak!)

Birdy's lawyer made a good fist of it, but as I understand it, often the lawyers success in these matters depends on the client's past record, which cant be especially embellished as its a matter of demonstrable court-recorded fact.

Like our mate John and a tape-measure!

Last edited:

carcharias

Immortal
well I have just spent all morning down there waiting to get a photo.

I snuck down to Northies for a tradesmans lunch.
steak chips gravy and a beer.

no bird
no Mill

I will try again tomorrow.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
well I have just spent all morning down there waiting to get a photo.

I snuck down to Northies for a tradesmans lunch.
steak chips gravy and a beer.

no bird
no Mill

I will try again tomorrow.
it will be worth it in the long run carch but did you remember your poncho?

Special K

Coach
well tbh atm i'm drinking a mans drink.. Pepsi!!

But my mate just got us a case of super drys for a bet (sharks beating tigers) so tonight will be a good one. Eatin is cheatin but so no dinner tonight!

The pennys just dropped! Katie milligan !!! Isnt she Good Prince Willies Girlfriend? OK heres the speculation to end ALL the other speculation.The Pommy Prince got word his good lady milligton was seeing a Dammed Rugby LEAGUE player. !!!! He flew round there to Birds place in a flash! Caught them !! Dashing Prince took a swing at the lowly Sharks player ... Bird ducked !! Hit Milligan !!Wellllll!!!!???? What to do!!!!!?????? couldnt blame the future King of Australia !PHONE a Friend !! Blame Him!! This would also explain BTRs "inside information" from reliable sources..... I hear hes got a direct line to buckingham Palace!

Anyway I hope i havent broken protocol on leaving a respectable amount of time before making jokes ! hehe!

Vossy

Bench
I dated Greg Bird for four years and he never hurt me. Ex-girlfriend tells:

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...girlfriendtells/2008/09/06/1220121596189.html

THE woman allegedly glassed in the eye by Cronulla Sharks star Greg Bird has a fiery temper and is hiding the truth behind her scars, his high school sweetheart says.
Stacey Sulway, who grew up with Bird and dated him for more than four years before the relationship ended in November, said he was a "peacekeeper" who had never hurt her.

Ms Sulway, 22, said she was "gobsmacked" when she learned Bird, 24, had been charged with maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm on his American girlfriend, Katie Milligan, at his Cronulla apartment on August 24.Ms Milligan, 24, moved to Sydney and into Bird's waterfront home two months ago after meeting the Cronulla Sharks and State of Origin player in Las Vegas.

Ms Sulway said Ms Milligan had a reputation for a bad temper. "She is a fiery person," Ms Sulway said. "There is a more to the story."The Cronulla flight attendant said she could not believe the accusations against Bird, the Sharks, NSW and Australia five-eighth who has been stood down by his club and is due to face court again in October.

"The whole time we were together he was the perfect gentleman. He is such a calm, gentle guy," she said."It is just that out of character for Greg to do anything like that."When we were together, people would get into fights around Greg. He is just such a peacekeeper, the biggest mediator ever."On the field, he is a bit of a firehead, which is fair enough, [but] I have never known him to get into one fight."

Ms Sulway said her romance with Bird ended amicably, the pair splitting because they felt they were too young to be in a serious relationship and because of her new job with Qantas.Shortly afterwards, Bird went to Las Vegas on an end-of-season football trip, telling her later he had "met somebody.

"I just thought it was a holiday romance," Ms Sulway said."A couple of months later he rang me to tell me he had a new girlfriend. I said, 'Good for you, babe'. [I thought] if she makes him happy, she makes him happy."

But she quickly learned that Bird was having trouble in his new relationship, with mutual friends telling her of public rows.

"I know that they were having problems," she said. "I thought that they were actually broken up."

Ms Sulway's own relationship with Bird made headlines in March 2006 when the player was accused of sending "rude" text messages to model Lara Bingle.Ms Sulway said the scandal was the only time she and Bird had fought.She said she had been in regular contact with Bird's sisters and his mother, Iris, since Bird was charged.

"He is obviously upset about the whole situation and quite depressed," Ms Sulway said.

Despite almost losing her eye, Ms Milligan has refused to talk to police and has vowed to reunite with her man.Ms Sulway said: "If she was going to stand by him, she would have spoken to the police and defended him until she was black and blue in the face.
She is definitely hiding something.

Yesterday Bird's manager, Gavin Orr, said his client and Ms Milligan had no comment.Ms Sulway said she did not rule out a future reunion with her ex. "Who knows what may happen?" she said.

coolumsharkie

Referee
I dated Greg Bird for four years and he never hurt me. Ex-girlfriend tells:

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...girlfriendtells/2008/09/06/1220121596189.html

THE woman allegedly glassed in the eye by Cronulla Sharks star Greg Bird has a fiery temper and is hiding the truth behind her scars, his high school sweetheart says.
Stacey Sulway, who grew up with Bird and dated him for more than four years before the relationship ended in November, said he was a "peacekeeper" who had never hurt her.

Ms Sulway, 22, said she was "gobsmacked" when she learned Bird, 24, had been charged with maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm on his American girlfriend, Katie Milligan, at his Cronulla apartment on August 24.Ms Milligan, 24, moved to Sydney and into Bird's waterfront home two months ago after meeting the Cronulla Sharks and State of Origin player in Las Vegas.

Ms Sulway said Ms Milligan had a reputation for a bad temper. "She is a fiery person," Ms Sulway said. "There is a more to the story."The Cronulla flight attendant said she could not believe the accusations against Bird, the Sharks, NSW and Australia five-eighth who has been stood down by his club and is due to face court again in October.

"The whole time we were together he was the perfect gentleman. He is such a calm, gentle guy," she said."It is just that out of character for Greg to do anything like that."When we were together, people would get into fights around Greg. He is just such a peacekeeper, the biggest mediator ever."On the field, he is a bit of a firehead, which is fair enough, [but] I have never known him to get into one fight."

Ms Sulway said her romance with Bird ended amicably, the pair splitting because they felt they were too young to be in a serious relationship and because of her new job with Qantas.Shortly afterwards, Bird went to Las Vegas on an end-of-season football trip, telling her later he had "met somebody.

"I just thought it was a holiday romance," Ms Sulway said."A couple of months later he rang me to tell me he had a new girlfriend. I said, 'Good for you, babe'. [I thought] if she makes him happy, she makes him happy."

But she quickly learned that Bird was having trouble in his new relationship, with mutual friends telling her of public rows.

"I know that they were having problems," she said. "I thought that they were actually broken up."

Ms Sulway's own relationship with Bird made headlines in March 2006 when the player was accused of sending "rude" text messages to model Lara Bingle.Ms Sulway said the scandal was the only time she and Bird had fought.She said she had been in regular contact with Bird's sisters and his mother, Iris, since Bird was charged.

"He is obviously upset about the whole situation and quite depressed," Ms Sulway said.

Despite almost losing her eye, Ms Milligan has refused to talk to police and has vowed to reunite with her man.Ms Sulway said: "If she was going to stand by him, she would have spoken to the police and defended him until she was black and blue in the face.
She is definitely hiding something.

Yesterday Bird's manager, Gavin Orr, said his client and Ms Milligan had no comment.Ms Sulway said she did not rule out a future reunion with her ex. "Who knows what may happen?" she said.

Can I have my 20 minutes back...

It's 3 o'clock in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.