What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Geeze birdy 24 and the ex 22 too young for a serious relationship? Where does this leave Levi Johnston 18 and Bristol Palin 17?

Quigs

Immortal
Farkkkkkkkkk I think my third brat was on the way by the time I turned 24.

I don't know how I did it. By the time I barned and fed my Pit Pony I was done for the day.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Seems as though Mr Bird won't be playing in the NRL next year despite interest from other clubs.
Looks like the Sharks will be repaying the favour Wigan did for releasing barret early to us with 2 yhearls left on his contract. Bird was contracted until 2012.

millersnose

Post Whore
with due respect reefy if bird gets convicted i rather doubt he will be let out on day release every weekend to play footy on the other side of the world

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
well without taking this thread off track and turning it into the other one, it is already a given that charges will be dropped & Bird cleared. On that knowledge he has already been sounded out by half of the NRL clubs. From what I gather they have all been told he will not be playing in the NRL, which is good for the Sharks as they will have to subsidise any payments. Looks like a good relationship between Wigan & Cronulla will continue.
It is the best result for Cronulla.

PJ

First Grade
I still don't understand why, if the charges are dropped, Bird can't continue playing for the Sharks if he would be OK to play for other clubs.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Its a perception thing PJ.
For instance, some people will not believe Birds version version of events even if there was a video of the incident. it would be doctored or some other conspiracy. So it is a sponsorship issue. & apparently other sponsors , including the biggest of sponsors, it is not an issue, once charges are dropped.

PJ

First Grade
So it is an issue to our sponsors or are you referring to other clubs sponsors?

If it is not an issue to our sponsors if the charges are dropped why would we get rid of him?

How is it not a perception thing to other clubs?

because aquittal does not constitute innocense

Of course not, but it doesn't constitute guilt either.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
frenzy, it will take a beligerant prosecutor to follow through anything on such weak evidence. On that basis, those that know, know.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
I dated Greg Bird for four years and he never hurt me. Ex-girlfriend tells:

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...girlfriendtells/2008/09/06/1220121596189.html

THE woman allegedly glassed in the eye by Cronulla Sharks star Greg Bird has a fiery temper and is hiding the truth behind her scars, his high school sweetheart says.
Stacey Sulway, who grew up with Bird and dated him for more than four years before the relationship ended in November, said he was a "peacekeeper" who had never hurt her.

Ms Sulway, 22, said she was "gobsmacked" when she learned Bird, 24, had been charged with maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm on his American girlfriend, Katie Milligan, at his Cronulla apartment on August 24.Ms Milligan, 24, moved to Sydney and into Bird's waterfront home two months ago after meeting the Cronulla Sharks and State of Origin player in Las Vegas.

Ms Sulway said Ms Milligan had a reputation for a bad temper. "She is a fiery person," Ms Sulway said. "There is a more to the story."The Cronulla flight attendant said she could not believe the accusations against Bird, the Sharks, NSW and Australia five-eighth who has been stood down by his club and is due to face court again in October.

"The whole time we were together he was the perfect gentleman. He is such a calm, gentle guy," she said."It is just that out of character for Greg to do anything like that."When we were together, people would get into fights around Greg. He is just such a peacekeeper, the biggest mediator ever."On the field, he is a bit of a firehead, which is fair enough, [but] I have never known him to get into one fight."

Ms Sulway said her romance with Bird ended amicably, the pair splitting because they felt they were too young to be in a serious relationship and because of her new job with Qantas.Shortly afterwards, Bird went to Las Vegas on an end-of-season football trip, telling her later he had "met somebody.

"I just thought it was a holiday romance," Ms Sulway said."A couple of months later he rang me to tell me he had a new girlfriend. I said, 'Good for you, babe'. [I thought] if she makes him happy, she makes him happy."

But she quickly learned that Bird was having trouble in his new relationship, with mutual friends telling her of public rows.

"I know that they were having problems," she said. "I thought that they were actually broken up."

Ms Sulway's own relationship with Bird made headlines in March 2006 when the player was accused of sending "rude" text messages to model Lara Bingle.Ms Sulway said the scandal was the only time she and Bird had fought.She said she had been in regular contact with Bird's sisters and his mother, Iris, since Bird was charged.

"He is obviously upset about the whole situation and quite depressed," Ms Sulway said.

Despite almost losing her eye, Ms Milligan has refused to talk to police and has vowed to reunite with her man.Ms Sulway said: "If she was going to stand by him, she would have spoken to the police and defended him until she was black and blue in the face.
She is definitely hiding something.

Yesterday Bird's manager, Gavin Orr, said his client and Ms Milligan had no comment.Ms Sulway said she did not rule out a future reunion with her ex. "Who knows what may happen?" she said.

I have. Several in fact. Apart from media documented stoushs as well.

imasharkie

Coach
If the charges are dropped, that makes him not guilty.
He should be allowed to play out his contract.
If the NRL tries to stop him couldn't Birdie charge them with restraint of trading, or whatever it's called.

squiddy

Juniors
I agree with reefy , I think the longer this drags out the more likely charges are going to be dropped , it was interesting the brief in the paper today about Birdy telling his mates his side of the story and that it will make very interesting evidence.

There is just so much doubt with this he will get off , the truth will make a very interesting story , like others though I doubt we will see Bird in the NRL in the next few years unfortunately

Status
Not open for further replies.