What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Q

Coach
Back up charges!!! I guess the police know the main charge of GBH is going to fall in a heap.

Maybe but I think the fresh charge of False Accusation is too distinct a charge as a back-up to the old.

The charge seems to have different elements and will have to rest on an entirely seperate set of facts.

Glassing someone and accusing someone is different.

Maybe the nuisance is a back up for the accusation.

Heres the cops piling it on Birdy on our behalf.

Once this train takes off, its pretty hard to stop-too many badges on the line now.

The best criminal law defence barrister in Sydney is a bloke called Terrachini. $5000 per day at least.

Bird will have to start thinking about paying overs to try to get out of this one.

Last edited:

samshark

Juniors
Back up charges!!! I guess the police know the main charge of GBH is going to fall in a heap.

These arent back up charges. The back charge of Assault ABH had already been laid. But no doubt these new charges have been added because the assault charges wont get proven and the detectives are probably pissed off with the whole thing. There is no reason why these charges couldnt have been laid in the first place.

But in saying that, what Bird said to both the police and in the text messages caused police to go off and investigate Watson and interview him etc so whilst some may see this as a bit of sour grapes or loading Bird up by police, why shouldnt he be charged with these offences. Mentioning Watson and the sending of the text messages are the two things that we know did happen. IMO he will be pushing sh*t up hill to beat these two charges. They are not difficult to prove.

But like Miller said there will be no jail time. If found guilty he would be probably looking at a fine or even a S.10 non conviction if he has a clean record. I would expect, however a bit of plea bargaining to go on. Maybe plead to one if the other is dropped.

These charges also wont require a new set of facts. The elements of these offences are more than covered in the original set.

Just when things were probably starting to favour Bird. It will be interesting to see how the club views the matter if cleared on the assault but convicted on the False reps and public mischief. I dont see these charges as being worse or even equal to common assault, offensive conduct and drink driving where numerous players have been found guilty of of e.g Misi and Seu Seu who are with us

Last edited:

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
But in saying that, what Bird said to both the police
isn't a given that Bird has said nothing to the police?

and in the text messages caused police to go off and investigate Watson and interview him
I thought Watson went to them?
Correct me if I'm wrong but at this stage the only person to have mentioned Watsons name to anybody was Katie. Bird Txt Watson to tell him what she had said.

samshark

Juniors
Not quite, as reported they both spoke to police at the hospital about Watson and Bird sent the messages after. He said nothing later on when arrested.

Watson went in to make a statement but I dont know if he had already been contacted/seen by police. In any point at that stage he would have been viewed as a suspect.

Last edited:

carcharias

Immortal
it is obvious the cops are gonna dip out on the original charge so they have decided to add a couple of new more piss weak ones.

I wondwer what is next .

Greg Bird charged for being a very naughty boy in public?

samshark

Juniors
Well that is not what I have heard.

Well what you heard is incorrect

Straight off the facts sheet.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4710903a10713.html
In Sutherland Local Court last month, police alleged that Bird had initially claimed Watson glassed Milligan. Bird had called Watson soon after the incident and allegedly said: "Something has happened to Katie. It was an accident. There is blood everywhere in the unit. We have told police it's you. How do you feel about that?"
The court also heard that Bird allegedly put Watson in contact with a solicitor, who told him: "We don't want this matter getting into the media." Milligan has said she stands by Bird despite the assault charges, saying he had not harmed her and that she still loved him.

Last edited:

sharks8601

Juniors
Well what you heard is incorrect

Straight off the facts sheet.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4710903a10713.html
In Sutherland Local Court last month, police alleged that Bird had initially claimed Watson glassed Milligan. Bird had called Watson soon after the incident and allegedly said: "Something has happened to Katie. It was an accident. There is blood everywhere in the unit. We have told police it's you. How do you feel about that?"
The court also heard that Bird allegedly put Watson in contact with a solicitor, who told him: "We don't want this matter getting into the media." Milligan has said she stands by Bird despite the assault charges, saying he had not harmed her and that she still loved him.

how is that fact
its dribble

spider

Coach
There have been some suggestions that Bird will argue he threw a glass object at a wall and shards deflected into Milligan's eye.
it may remove the 'intent' element if this argument was to be so

but geez, 'if' it was the case, that glass must have shattered pretty hard

carcharias

Immortal
So did he stick a glass into her fuggen eyeball or at least throw it at her face on purpose?

if not ...then it was an accident.

He will end up winning in court and probably have grounds to sue certain media organizations and possibly the club if they punt him.

spider

Coach
So did he stick a glass into her fuggen eyeball or at least throw it at her face on purpose?

if not ...then it was an accident.
looks like it will unfold that way

there will be no way the prosecution will be able to prove intent without millagan assisting with a statement

He will end up winning in court and probably have grounds to sue certain media organizations and possibly the club if they punt him.
yes - if he is to be dumped without any of the charges sticking

if one charge sticks and is proven - he would probably be gone and cant do a thing about it

samshark

Juniors
how is that fact
its dribble

Oh FFS, that is the text message Bird sent to Watson as quoted on the facts sheet tendered at court. And I know this from other means other than the media, I just pasted that there to show that this information was made public knowledge ages ago.

millersnose

Post Whore
26 posts to go

will the pure as driven snow bird escape the clutches of the evil police trying to frame him

or will the forces of good, the legal minds on the sharks forum, free him to play in last weeks final

will dave cut and copy legislation from google so gunna can say 'he knows his stuff' again

stay tuned folks

carcharias

Immortal
216 posts to go

will the pure as driven snow bird escape the clutches of the evil police trying to frame him

or will the forces of good, the legal minds on the sharks forum, free him to play in last weeks final

will dave cut and copy legislation from google so gunna can say 'he knows his stuff' again

stay tuned folks

you forgot... will someone source a KIWI website for acurate info.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Oh FFS, that is the text message Bird sent to Watson as quoted on the facts sheet tendered at court. And I know this from other means other than the media, I just pasted that there to show that this information was made public knowledge ages ago.
I have it on very good information that a person of interest said nothing to the police other than that they was not responsible.
I have no doubt that a sms was sent to Watson using the word "we"
But last time I looked, Watson was not on the police force.

edit.
one also has to wonder why the diary entries have still not been made available to Bird & Milligans team. You really, really have to wonder why when supposedly it is a cut & shut case.
Like the Brisbane arrest.

Last edited:

The Dodger

First Grade
so if the original charge gets dropped and these two new charges go through, will cronulla still drop him?

i cant see them dropping him unless he is charged with GBH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts