What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

30 Year Sharkie

Juniors
Very sad news .. another one of those situations in which there are no winners. We've just been through the whole Carney thing down here - this seems to happen all too often nowadays with these young over-hyped over-paid "stars". Even the swimmers, who have always been absolutely clean cut, aren't immune.

The Club's action was pretty much the only one open to it. Clearly there is no guilt until proven, and no-one today knows what the outcome of that will be. However, as others have said, there is huge downside for all concerned if we appear to gloss over it. In all the other similar incidents recently the player has been stood down pending resolution.

The Raiders have shown that the Club is bigger than the individual. I refuse to believe our season is gone, but geez everyone needs to step up. That includes the fans ...

Since 73

First Grade
Someone's had a shave.

greg_bird2_wideweb__470x289,0.jpg

Bird leaving court.

doggone

Juniors
I am shattered for Greg and his girl. What a terrible thing to happen when he had everything going for him.

I only was thinking how nice he looked shaking all those fans hands on Friday nite.

NRL should have zero tolerance to Grog. And clubs should be closed at 3am latest.

Seth Gecko

Juniors
Comeon..... it was abit funny.....my post I mean. Nothing much happens on my forum. Des keeps em on the straight and narrow. Since Hoppa left we dont have stuff going on. Matai hasnt headbutted anyone for awhile...he's our only rogue. I dont miss it but it's good to visit.

30 Year Sharkie

Juniors
SNIP ...

NRL should have zero tolerance to Grog. And clubs should be closed at 3am latest.

Ain't that the truth. If it's too hard or in someway a violation of rights or liberties than at least, as someone mentioned before, make sure the younger blokes have more senior role models who hav grown out of this rubbish.

Wozza

Juniors
I know I come across as a prick here. But it's my premiership as much as anyone elses. And that to me is the most important thing.

To say nothing of the fact that Bird currently proclaims his innocence, has not been found guilty, and the club is just reacting to pressure by tossing away the season.

We've just cost ourselves our best season in years.

The problem with your argument is that Bird was remanded in custody, has an interim AVO against him and is now charged. This is not an allegation of a minor scuffle when pi$$ed. He allegedly, seriously assaulted a female. Not to mention that the Sharks as a club have form in sacking players for assaulting women. He is yet to be found guilty but there is enough evidence already being circulated to predict without to much uncertainty that Bird will probably never pull on a Sharks jersey again, and will probably be kicked out of the NRL as well as spend sometime behind bars.
If he is found guilty I never want to see him near a Sharks team again and you can blame Bird if it derails our 2008 campaign.
The Sharks had no alternative but to stand him down until such time as there is a conviction or an acquittal and if he is convicted he should be booted out never to return.

bluey

Bench
Guys it is simple, The club has done the right thing as a club, and it is the right thing by bird as well standing him down.

spider

Coach
it is simple bluey, i agree

im going to hold back until all the facts are in the open on october 7th - that said, it doesn't mean im defending bird, far from it

if guilty he deserves everything the judge has on his desk to throw

more so, it will be interesting to hear the victims account of what transpired

squiddy

Juniors
I'm f**king shattered - I feel for Birdy and his girl , what a dumb f**king stupid thing to do , I tell ya Grog is the worst substance in the world , grog aint cool kiddies .

Anyone who says the club is wrong is delusional , the club took the only possible action , I support them , tough call but I support it. Sadly I think Bird's carer is over

But f**k this our season is shattered , I see Sticky has already said he is going to bring the guys together like something never seen before , I love the sound of this.

squiddy

Juniors
Arn't you sick and tired of everyone trying to cover everyones arse because they are c0ckheads.

It's all about being accountable for your actions.

I am a long long way from being a saint, but I learnt a long time ago that I do what I do, pissed or sober.

If the local office johnny had allegedly glassed your neighbour daughter you would be screaming for him to be hung.

Times have changed. Changed big time. in the good old days if you were stepping out of line on the piss more then likely you were told by one of the older blokes to pull your head in. And you did.

Now days they commit the crime and then have fifteen excuses or 'escape' plans thrown at them. Bi polar, depression, sexually abused as a child.

Simple terms ... if you are prepared to do the crime, then be prepared to do the time.

No excuses offered. The club has no responsibility to any players actions these days. They have all been warned, they have all seen what can happen, and f**k me dead, they all no what is acceptable and what is not.

Looks like our dickheads just can't help but be dickheads. I got a laugh out of blueing in a Mosh Pit. But this is just not on.

Bare in mind I have seen some women that deserve floggin's big time. But that is a rearity.

I'm talkin masculine lezzo's beating up blokes. I don't think the alleged victim falls into that category.

Oh well its more interesting times ahead .... us sharkies ..... never a dull moment.

And I used to laugh when I heard about Knuckles Hornery trying to rip the fountain out of its fittings at the front of the Berries Club.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

Excellent post Quigs !

Just loved Birds Comment to his BEST MATE "we told the police it was you , how do you feel about that ?"

How would you f**king feel ? Says a lot about his character , two many instances lately and always blaming someone else

Very sad.

Since 73

First Grade
Strewth.
Anyone catch the chick on ACA tonite who lost an eye from being glassed?

Bloody horrific!

Attached Birdy's story with it and he is now public enemy number 1.

Stcky and Frank need to put a thousand miles between us and Bird.
This is our finest septemebr for a long time and we don't need it attached to that.

TWITCH72

Juniors
Being a long term Sharks supporter I find this whole incident very disappointing. I feel for The young girl involved and hope that she recovers from her injuries. Im at a lost to explain what comes over our young stars. Is it a combination of alcohol and ego. I wont except that our season is over in fact I believe our boys will rise above.

THECURSEDJET

Juniors
what a low life cowardly act!!! firstly the (alleged) attack on a woman, then to implicate your so called best mate.... with mates like Greg Bird who would ever have an enemy?

I feel for all the Sharks fans who for a change had a glimmer of hope come semi finals time. good luck guys, now I hope you guys go all the way and this creep misses out on holding aloft the premiership trophy

Jasdragon

Juniors
Being a long term Sharks supporter I find this whole incident very disappointing. I feel for The young girl involved and hope that she recovers from her injuries. Im at a lost to explain what comes over our young stars. Is it a combination of alcohol and ego. I wont except that our season is over in fact I believe our boys will rise above.

A big prob is players are graded to early, well over payed and rated, poorly educated and have way to much time on there hands which all equals Trouble!

Status
Not open for further replies.