What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird Signs with Dragons

Bulldog Force

Referee
Source: http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25136883-5001021,00.html

Former Cronulla star Greg Bird signs for French rugby league club

0,,6513333,00.jpg

FORMER Cronulla five-eighth Greg Bird signed with French club Catalan Dragons today after being refused a visa by Great Britain to play for the Bradford Bulls.
The 25-year-old former Test representative was released by NRL club the Sharks after being charged last year with grievous bodily harm against his American girlfriend Katie Milligan.
Under the terms of his release, he is not allowed to play in the NRL this season.
The Dragons, who play in the English Super League, said on their official website Bird will be presented as a Catalan player at a press conference later today and could make his debut this weekend.
Gallery: Greg Bird - a portrait
The Dragons are coached by former Bronco Kevin Walters, whose assistant is former Bulldogs and Parramatta forward Dean Pay.
Bird will join former NRL stars Steve Bell (Manly), Dane Carlaw, Casey McGuire and Shane Perry (Brisbane), Clint Greenshield and Jason Ryles (St George Illawarra), Adam Mogg (Canberra) at the club.
The club is based in Perpignan in southern France. The town of about 300,000 is close to the Spanish border and about 200km from Barcelona.
Its rugby union club USA Perpignan plays in the top French league and made headlines last year when they signed All Black Dan Carter for a six-month guest stint.
Carter played only five matches for the club before suffering a serious Achilles injury in late January that has ruled him out of the game for six months.
Bird's negotiations with the Dragons are believed to have been underway for a few weeks.
He is due to face court again in Sydney on April 27 over the assault charges.
Bird is one of a number of former NRL players, including Todd Carney and Greg Eastwood, refused a working visa in the UK under tightened immigration laws.
With his options diminished, Bird had canvassed playing for Newtown in the NSW Cup and when the club withdrew its interest, looked set to turn out for Southern Districts in the Sydney club rugby union competition.
Former Canberra bad-boy Todd Carney had been set to play for Huddersfield until immigration officials stepped in and he has now signed a one-year deal with the Atherton Roosters in the far north Queensland. The Roosters play in the Cairns competition.
Eastwood, a New Zealand international and former Bronco, was due to play for Leeds but was denied a visa over a string of speeding offences.
He has appealed the decision but if he fails the Warriors look his most likely destination.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Former Canberra bad-boy Todd Carney had been set to play for Huddersfield until immigration officials stepped in and he has now signed a one-year deal with the Atherton Roosters in the far north Queensland. The Roosters play in the Cairns competition.

:lol: Oh my how the mighty have fallen

Meh, could've been much worse. At least he's trying to come back.
But regarding Bird, would he be allowed to play a game in England?

IanG

Coach
Meh, could've been much worse. At least he's trying to come back.
But regarding Bird, would he be allowed to play a game in England?

I have no idea what the go would be. Not to mention that he'd have to return to Australia to have his day in court. But as I keep saying whatever happened to being innocent until proven guilty?

Whats the go with his courtcase? I presume he has to be present for that due to a great chance of him going to the slammer.

Godz Illa

Coach
They do it to avoid talking to media. It's the same thing I do when I walk past the Fitness First spruikers on every second street in the city.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
What a sh*tty thread title. He signed with the Catalan Dragons. First glance, anyone would think Saints, being the NRL forum.

[furrycat]

Coach
What a sh*tty thread title. He signed with the Catalan Dragons. First glance, anyone would think Saints, being the NRL forum.

Made a bet with someone you'd be the first muppet to blow his load over the thread title... I win!

Get a sense of humour.

Timmah

Staff member
What joke? Just looks like BF misleading people to me :?

Timmah

Staff member
Yup.

Good to see you making a profit off my forum copping, took you long enough :sarcasm:

Timmah

Staff member
:lol: Taking it all a bit seriously aren't we?

:sarcasm: