What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Inglis avoids conviction over assault

Gaba

First Grade
Ask Dane Tilse, Tim Smith , Wendell Sailor or Lote Tuquiri.

No criminal charges, but had contracts torn up.

Thats right , what people think have more influence then someone being convicted

why i think by robinson changing her statement doesnt help Inglis , people will have thier opinion about it and will act by pulling sponsorship etc

Last edited:

Evenflow

Bench
Why is it that some here are quick to dismiss media reports that inglis alledgedly assualted his girlfriend and yet when that same media runs stories that Inglis is the victim in all this you accept that without question ?

Fair enough. Now lets re-word it in a way that is every bit as apt. Why is it that some here are quick to dismiss media reports that inglis didn't assault his GF where she stated as such and yet when that same media runs stories that Inglis did allegedly assualt her you accept that without question?

I say it's every bit as apt because there's just as many people (if not more) who have pinned him as guilty regardless of what his GF has come out and said as what there are people saying it the other way around. You can't just use that to suit your argument yet dismiss it when it goes right against your argument.

Parra

Referee
So you think a third statement would add to her credibility?

Two statements that contradict each other is the issue - not whether people believe newspapers or not.

If she didn't make two statements you have a valid point. If she did then you miss the point.

El Diablo

Post Whore

Two statements that contradict each other is the issue - not whether people believe newspapers or not.

If she didn't make two statements you have a valid point. If she did then you miss the point.

what did her second statement say that contradicts her first?

Gaba

First Grade

If she made a statement , and if she had to make other statements because he remembered something and doesnt differ from her original except for the extra stuff she remembered then there wouldnt be that much of a fuss.

But changing her statement to something different brings in the doubt,

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/...1249756481140.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap2

Let's hear what Inglis says before we rush in to judge

Phil Gould | August 16, 2009

I will talk more about the Greg Inglis situation when we have more of the facts.

I see no reason at this stage to join the throng of social commentators that have prejudged, convicted and punished the kid before the courts have heard all the relevant evidence and reached an informed verdict based on the facts of this unfortunate case.

Some people can't wait to stick the boot into rugby league at every opportunity even though rugby league is neither the cause nor the catalyst for such behaviour.

Unfortunately incidents of the like are all too common in society these days and all major sporting bodies around the world are contending with the media frenzy that surrounds off-field problems involving their high-profile sports stars - not just rugby league.

I was, however, interested in comments made by Professor Ian Hickie, a mental health expert from the University of Sydney, who has been seconded by the Melbourne Storm to assist them in the management of this delicate matter.

Hickie was quoted as saying: ''The media has an overwhelming duty to respect [this situation] and not place undue pressure on the parties involved, especially Sally [Robinson, Inglis's girlfriend].

''Given the sensitive nature of the matter it is imperative that media outlets demonstrate responsible journalism. The media must be extremely careful with this extremely sensitive issue.''

Hickie is obviously highly intelligent and very experienced in such matters. I doubt, though, that he would have intimate knowledge of how our game is regularly attacked and mishandled by the media, or how sensitive the NRL is to these bad news situations.

The media swarms in not because a young man has done something wrong, but because he is a footballer who has done something wrong.

The NRL and NRL clubs immediately react to the negative media coverage, more often than not without full knowledge of the facts or the accused being given sufficient opportunity to defend or explain his actions.

This whole damage-control, avoid-criticism, please-the-media-and-the-sponsors style of crisis management has to stop. The players are too often prejudged, tried and punished before the matter even hits the courts.

The NRL has also been bullied into taking action on matters that don't concern it. I will talk more about this at another time as well.

Just because these blokes sign rugby league contracts doesn't mean the NRL owns the entirety of their private lives and the problems they face. In many instances, our courts adequately administer fines and punishments without the NRL having to add its frustration to the situation. In some cases the player hasn't even faced a charge because the offence was neither proven nor considered overly serious.

At other times the NRL and media have reacted without allowing due process in the court systems to take place before a more measured response can be administered.

No one condones illegal or violent behaviour. However, due process should be acknowledged before we are panicked into the politically correct knee-jerk reactions our clubs and governing body seem to make just to appease the media frenzy.

We don't support or show enough compassion to our people, but instead hang them out to dry.

As an organisation, many of our responses are emotional, inconsistent, haphazard and unprofessional.

As I said, I will talk more about this in the coming weeks.

:clap:

Kiki

First Grade
i love phil but that article is a bit silly. of course the media is swarming, hes one of the biggest names in the game. this isnt about rugby league being persecuted its coz one of australias most famous athletes has been charged with punching his gf in the face.

ibeme

First Grade
i love phil but that article is a bit silly. of course the media is swarming, hes one of the biggest names in the game. this isnt about rugby league being persecuted its coz one of australias most famous athletes has been charged with punching his gf in the face.

Of course they're going to report it, but they don't report it responsibly. They try to run the show and write crap at times. They need to be more responsible. The least of the media's concern seems to be the very thing that they're accusing the game of. They don't care about the victims. They wouldn't be shoving cameras in their face and trying to chase them down the street to get pictures if they were truely concerned.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
can you not answer my question?

how did she contradict herself?

If this was an AFL player who was charged and his girlfriend provided additional information several days later that totally cleared them you would be all over it. Hell if an AFL columist wrote anything approaching what Gould has done you would be here screaming about AFL media bias and things being swept under the carpet.

El Diablo

Post Whore
is that right

Offsiders mentioned that Inglis' girlfriend said News Ltd doctored the photos and made the bruises look worse than they were

any stories on this as it was the first i heard it

Kiki

First Grade
i can't believe you didn't know that first! u always know everything News is doing!

Latest posts