What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Inglis headed to South Sydney - no players to be shed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambretta

First Grade
I read with interest this morning that the NRL wants to look at the Inglis deal to Souths and will regard any 3rd party deals that were arranged BEFORE he signed terms as being part of the salary and inclusive in the cap.

That means effectively that 3rd party deals can only be arranged once a player has already agreed terms and is going to join the club anyway.

So are the NRL now saying that 3rd party deals can only be used to retain players with a club and not use them to entice them to join one in the first place?

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
The whole third party arrangements make no sense. I think Greg Inglis to the Bunnies would be better for the NRL overall than him going to another News Limited owned club, but the economics of the deal don't add up. Neither does the Gasnier deal with the Dragons. Having sad the above the sooner the situation is sorted out the better for everyone.

R2Coupe

Juniors
2UE reported Souths are attempting to offload Beau Champion to the Eels to get Inglis. The Eels refused and I suggest with Kearney and cash, the Eels must be a good chance themselves.

Galeforce

Bench
souths have signed Inglis.
question now is now what value for salary cap purposes the NRL determines.
either the value Souths have indicated ( which means no player needs to be offloaded) or if higher , then souths would need to offload player(s ) to avoid being over salary cap by beginning of season.
i would be surprised if this 2ue story true , as the first players being offloaded by souths would be wesser/crocker and then Simpson if a younger back was to be offloaded. no reason to offload Champion unless he wanted to leave, though we will be pressured in 2011 by young backs coming through.

thorson1987

Coach
either the value Souths have indicated ( which means no player needs to be offloaded) or if higher , then souths would need to offload player(s ) to avoid being over salary cap by beginning of season.
i would be surprised if this 2ue story true , as the first players being offloaded by souths would be wesser/crocker and then Simpson if a younger back was to be offloaded. no reason to offload Champion unless he wanted to leave, though we will be pressured in 2011 by young backs coming through.

yes they have, but the contract hasn't been rubber-stamped by the NRL.

Therefore he is still contracted to Melbourne.

So if the NRL do block this deal there is a good chance he will be at parra (especially now with Grothe retireing and Tahu gone)

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade

hahaha.. As if any club would want those players.. It would be pointless trying to offload them as nobody would touch them, particularly a club like the Eels who clearly are now interested in Inglis.

BunniesMan

Immortal
yes they have, but the contract hasn't been rubber-stamped by the NRL.

Therefore he is still contracted to Melbourne.

So if the NRL do block this deal there is a good chance he will be at parra (especially now with Grothe retireing and Tahu gone)
The much more likely scenario is that we cut a player and keep him anyway. Inglis will be a rabbitoh in 2011, nothing will stop that, it's just a matter of seeing if the NRL makes us lose a player or not.

Galeforce

Bench
i am confused why it is taking so long for NRL to close
1) the NRL has stated Souths should not have announced Inglis until NRL approved contract. OK , however the media circus was calling out that Souths were in the mix in early November , are we to believe that at that time , Souths do not announce and submit contracts to NRL , as they have done ,that all the media blitz could be contained and would the NRL have reached a decision sooner?
2) appears to me that NRL is looking for reasons to NOT approve the Inglis contract with souths. i.e. first we hear NRL has not seen contract , then they want to see third party deals , then they want third party affidavits , then they want to see more information to understand if third party deals were required as part of getting inglis to agree to Souths contract.
3) the last point,makes third party deals only of value for salary cap , if a player already has a contract with club and now third party being used to sweeten the deal to make it harder for other clubs to poach. this makes sense , however does not appear the clubs understand this.so implementation a mess.
4) how was Brisbane contract approved by the NRL and SOuths contract still under investigation , when appears the structure the same. Brisbane "NEWS" and Souths "not"?
5) how can NRL Auditor announce to "teammates" at Rooster function that Crowe has made it easy to not approve the Souths contract. If this is true , then disgrace to this role and the NRL Auditor ( who ever it may be ) should be sacked. Investigation neither completed nor correct process followed.
6) NRL should be able to make decision on facts presented i.e. what value they will support for Salary cap purposes. i.e. just state it to Souths management and let them close it. Appears to me that the NRL either do not want to give Souths a clear option to close and hoping delay results in either
Inglis walking away from NRL or a higher offer from another NRL team. How would this be possible if NO third party $$ could be included.

something stinks and right now it is the NRL management

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
The much more likely scenario is that we cut a player and keep him anyway. Inglis will be a rabbitoh in 2011, nothing will stop that, it's just a matter of seeing if the NRL makes us lose a player or not.

You would have to cut a well paid player and hope another club would want to fork out a large portion of their playing contract. That player would also have to be willing to leave. You just cannot terminate their contract otherwise the players salary in full will still count towards Souths salary cap. You also cannot cut a player on the minimum wage as you would need to add another player into your top 25 squad on at least the minimum wage. Given Souths situation it would have to be a player who has plenty of good years ahead otherwise clubs like Parramatta will just play hardball and refuse to budge. It is not going to be easy.

thorson1987

Coach
i am confused why it is taking so long for NRL to close
1) the NRL has stated Souths should not have announced Inglis until NRL approved contract. OK , however the media circus was calling out that Souths were in the mix in early November , are we to believe that at that time , Souths do not announce and submit contracts to NRL , as they have done ,that all the media blitz could be contained and would the NRL have reached a decision sooner?
2) appears to me that NRL is looking for reasons to NOT approve the Inglis contract with souths. i.e. first we hear NRL has not seen contract , then they want to see third party deals , then they want third party affidavits , then they want to see more information to understand if third party deals were required as part of getting inglis to agree to Souths contract.
3) the last point,makes third party deals only of value for salary cap , if a player already has a contract with club and now third party being used to sweeten the deal to make it harder for other clubs to poach. this makes sense , however does not appear the clubs understand this.so implementation a mess.
4) how was Brisbane contract approved by the NRL and SOuths contract still under investigation , when appears the structure the same. Brisbane "NEWS" and Souths "not"?
5) how can NRL Auditor announce to "teammates" at Rooster function that Crowe has made it easy to not approve the Souths contract. If this is true , then disgrace to this role and the NRL Auditor ( who ever it may be ) should be sacked. Investigation neither completed nor correct process followed.
6) NRL should be able to make decision on facts presented i.e. what value they will support for Salary cap purposes. i.e. just state it to Souths management and let them close it. Appears to me that the NRL either do not want to give Souths a clear option to close and hoping delay results in either
Inglis walking away from NRL or a higher offer from another NRL team. How would this be possible if NO third party $$ could be included.

something stinks and right now it is the NRL management

I kind of understand what you are saying, although one bit you have wrong is the broncos deal was not approved by the NRL.

No contract was lodged with the NRL as Inglis was worried about planes flying in the wet.

BTW i wish the whole mess was finished. I dont care where he ends up, would prefer if he said Au Revoir and pissed off to France just to shut up some bunnies supporters.

I just cant wait until he is off our books (whether it be book 1, 2 or 3 or all of them)

thorson1987

Coach
You would have to cut a well paid player and hope another club would want to fork out a large portion of their playing contract. That player would also have to be willing to leave. You just cannot terminate their contract otherwise the players salary in full will still count towards Souths salary cap. You also cannot cut a player on the minimum wage as you would need to add another player into your top 25 squad on at least the minimum wage. Given Souths situation it would have to be a player who has plenty of good years ahead otherwise clubs like Parramatta will just play hardball and refuse to budge. It is not going to be easy.

I was thinking that too, wasnt too sure about that situation though.

Galeforce

Bench
the point re Broncos. i understood that NRL had approved contract and all was required was Inglis signature . The broncos deal had been announced and i do NOT recall anyone from NRL stating that Broncos should not be announcing they are signing inglis until contract approved by NRL. the recent news that NRL still investigating Bronco third party deals , appears to me a recent about faced cover for the focus on Souths third party focus.

boxhead

First Grade
It is indeed true - at least from the evidence - that Souths tried to offload Beau Champion to the Eels, a source confirmed this earlier today before the story was aired. And the Eels refused, despite how good and young a centre Champion is; they quite obviously believe they can snare Inglis and will go all out to get him.
I have to feel sorry for people like Bunniesman, this situation could quite easily swing the other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts