What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Inglis headed to South Sydney - no players to be shed

Status
Not open for further replies.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Lol at people should be earning 1 mil. No body in league is worth that.

How about raising the minimum from 55k. Thats more important than some guy with the size of inglis' gut to be earning a mil a year.
Lol @ the merkin thinking we're still in the 20th century. Wake up and smell the roses you fool. It isn't 1950 anymore. We have multiple competitors who are paying elite athletes that much (and more), if we keep sticking our head in the sand we'll keep losing the players that young kids idolise, the players that put bums on seats and eyeballs on tvs.
What are the rules and regulations, and how were they applied? Show me exact details.
Wtf are you talking about? I wasn't the one that brought it up, someone else did and I replied that if the rules and regulations were applied properly and if that led the NRL to come to this decision, in my opinion there is a problem with the rules and regulations and they need to be changed.

BunniesMan

Immortal
It could be argued that the bat fastard's best days are behind him Pete.
I'll agree with others, no one player, especially not one with such a chequered recent history and involvement in THAT scandal, is worth shedding this many tears over.
That's bs. If he's that overrated and past his best why are people complaining about us getting him. If what you say is true, us signing him to that much money will ruin our chances over the next 3 years.

Apey

Staff member
He is cheating scum and it is hilarious and just he isthe one being f**ked over out of all this

if he goes to another code it'll likely be for more money... not sure how he's getting f**ked over

cleary89

Coach
Lol @ the merkin thinking we're still in the 20th century. Wake up and smell the roses you fool. It isn't 1950 anymore. We have multiple competitors who are paying elite athletes that much (and more), if we keep sticking our head in the sand we'll keep losing the players that young kids idolise, the players that put bums on seats and eyeballs on tvs.

Oh sh*t, if someone else is doing it we must too. The NFL pays 20m, Willie Mason said he was going to go there at some point, we must put all our top players on 20m!!!!!

We won't keep losing those players, do you honestly think AFL will pay that kind of money for any other player who has no chance of making it at the top level? It was purely a marketing ploy to get interest in the new teams, and there isn't going to be any more new teams for a long time.

We will never be able to compete with French rugby for money, so its irresponsible to try. There are other things in our game that need more money, our players on 600k a year are not one of them.

Ulysseus

Bench
BunniesMan, I refer you to another post I made in relation to the Adelaide Steamship company.
Sometimes you can do more harm than good trying to be the biggest and the best, especially when you do not have the resources or the market to do it.
To blindly follow others down the garden path is a ticket to financial ruin.
Consolidate first, do the feasibility studies before going further, then make the move - DON'T use the "they are so we must" mantra, you'll go broke trying.

On Inglis, BunniesMan, you can have the merkin for all I care, BUT don't rort the cap to do it, it is simply not fair to the clubs that could also do it but are choosing not to.
If we aren't going to play by the rules then why bother?, give the $torm their ill gotten gains back, validate cheating as an applicable mechanism to emerge victorious and lets get this sham back on the road.

Lossy

Juniors
Wtf are you talking about?

It was a snippet, let me clarify by replying to this:

I wasn't the one that brought it up, someone else did and I replied that if the rules and regulations were applied properly and if that led the NRL to come to this decision, in my opinion there is a problem with the rules and regulations and they need to be changed.

Yes, because the outcome of the application doesn't suit you.

BunniesMan

Immortal
It was a snippet, let me clarify by replying to this:

Yes, because the outcome of the application doesn't suit you.
I've been angered by the 3rd party rules before this. Gasnier and Wing come to mind. The issue is affecting my club at the moment but that's not where my problems begin and end.

Lossy

Juniors
I've been angered by the 3rd party rules before this. Gasnier and Wing come to mind. The issue is affecting my club at the moment but that's not where my problems begin and end.

OK. I'll wear that. Don't necessarily agree of course, but that's ok.

jaycee_17th

Juniors
Yeah let's keep losing all the talented players during their prime, it's really going to help expand the game. :thumn

And all these guys are prima donnas because they want to earn what they're worth?

the question is what are their real worth to start with anyway? given our games status at the moment, and all.. imo david gallop is in a hard position, so i for one not ready to hop on cap haters bandwagon just yet. though it does need some improvements but you gotta give where credit is due man and at the moment david gallop is the man. when its all said and done, cap is cap, without it we'll have landslide games week in week out. neverthless welcome to freakshow, the integrity of the game is at stake and ain't the players'. cos at the end of the day no player is bigger than the game after all

adamkungl

Immortal
lol@souffs....

But seriously, the salary cap is a mess. When the IC comes in they need to take a serious look at the whole thing and fix it up.

What do they want it to achieve?
a) Spreading player talent
b) Preventing rich clubs from having a large advantage and poor clubs from going broke.

They are VERY different aims. I don't believe a) should be enforced. It results in mediocrity across the board rather than a high standard of competition. It also forces clubs to shed their developed talent when they become successful.

As for b) I'm honestly not sure how it can be worked in a way that is both fair and brings the maximum amount of money into the game.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Simple solution: punt Wesser, Crocker, and possibly Asotasi, all of whom are being overpaid for their current age and form. Inglis is only 24, and we all know how good he can be when he wants to apply himself, so it'd be worth the punt for mine.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Simple solution: punt Wesser, Crocker, and possibly Asotasi, all of whom are being overpaid for their current age and form. Inglis is only 24, and we all know how good he can be when he wants to apply himself, so it'd be worth the punt for mine.
Papers say it's Crocker, Champion and Lowe. I guess it makes sense because we have most depth at backrow and centre. I think Wesser would almost be at the minimum so not much point in dropping him, as for Asotasi, prop is where we are thinnest.

As for Inglis. He's well known for getting up for big games, finals and rep footy. I think being messed around with like he's been this off season could just give him motivation to take out his anger and frustration on the footy field, with a lot of tries.

beave

Coach
geez Ben Lowe should feel unlucky, I've been privileged to seen him dragged from Toowoomba to play up here and develop from a skinny 17 year old into a decent player. I honestly thought he was one of souths best for 2010..................... I can't believe they are doing all this for Inglis............ mind you I think we should have a crack at Beau Champion, we need another centre now that Tate is out of action for the year.

Big Pete

Referee
the question is what are their real worth to start with anyway? given our games status at the moment, and all.. imo david gallop is in a hard position, so i for one not ready to hop on cap haters bandwagon just yet. though it does need some improvements but you gotta give where credit is due man and at the moment david gallop is the man. when its all said and done, cap is cap, without it we'll have landslide games week in week out. neverthless welcome to freakshow, the integrity of the game is at stake and ain't the players'. cos at the end of the day no player is bigger than the game after all

Our marquee players SHOULD be getting similar deals to other Australian sportsmen.

Gallop is fine and has done a fine job. But now that we have some bargaining power we need somebody more adventurious to step up.

Also, it isn't just one player who is apparently bigger than the game...there seems to be 3-5 each season and that's when it becomes a problem.

BunniesMan

Immortal
geez Ben Lowe should feel unlucky, I've been privileged to seen him dragged from Toowoomba to play up here and develop from a skinny 17 year old into a decent player. I honestly thought he was one of souths best for 2010..................... I can't believe they are doing all this for Inglis............ mind you I think we should have a crack at Beau Champion, we need another centre now that Tate is out of action for the year.
Dissapointed to lose Lowe and Champion, but with backrowers like Burgess and Taylor, someone like Lowe becomes expendable. As for Champion, another good player but we have Inglis as well as a lot of young centres coming through including one who made a hattrick on debut this year but couldn't get a regular game. Champion makes room for them.

Dropping 500k worth of players isn't easy but all things considered dropping those guys is probably the best of a bad situation.

Eels Dude

Coach

Gasnier and Wing left because their third party deals fell through with their respective third parties, and both had clauses in their contract stating they were able to do so if that were to occur. The NRL had nothing to do with it.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Gasnier and Wing left because their third party deals fell through with their respective third parties, and both had clauses in their contract stating they were able to do so if that were to occur. The NRL had nothing to do with it.
The NRL doesn't allow clubs to guarantee the deals, they should be able to in my opinion. The deals should be legit deals for real work, but if something happens the clubs should have the option of guaranteeing them if they can and if they want to.

Talons

Juniors
The NRL doesn't allow clubs to guarantee the deals, they should be able to in my opinion. The deals should be legit deals for real work, but if something happens the clubs should have the option of guaranteeing them if they can and if they want to.

That's pretty ridiculous, can you imagine how open that situation would be for unscrupulous clubs to rort the system.
I can hear them now, we had the best of intentions but due to circumstances beyond our control the sponsorship fell through, but it's all sweet we'll make up the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts