What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Inglis headed to South Sydney - no players to be shed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Schubert had required Souths officials and representatives of all four non-club sponsors - ANZ Stadium, the AMS, WA Spit Roast and an inner-Sydney car dealership - to provide statuary declarations about the deals, forward any emails relating to Inglis's contract or third-party arrangements and to make themselves available for questioning by O'Reilly.

TBh if I ran a company and was going to sponsor a player and was told I had to jump through these hoops I'd tell the NRL to take a running jump and take my $'s to a code that apreciated it!

BranVan3000

Coach
Schubert needs to be investigated, what was with him telling people at Roosters he had no plans to let the contract through?

adamkungl

Immortal
What would happen if Inglis signed for $190k, with the non-contractual assurance that the club could help him work out third party deals? And then negotiated said deals. the only issue would be whether they are at arms length from the club, correct?

BranVan3000

Coach
What would happen if Inglis signed for $190k, with the non-contractual assurance that the club could help him work out third party deals? And then negotiated said deals. the only issue would be whether they are at arms length from the club, correct?
The NRL has made it clear they have no plans to apply leniency or any sort of flexibility in this situation

RWB

Bench
The NRL has made it clear they have no plans to apply leniency or any sort of flexibility in this situation

And good on them for having the balls to do so, if the salary cap is to ensure a level playing field then there shouldn't be any leniency... to any teams.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Bellear said the medical service would have sponsored Inglis had he been at any other NSW club - or even in rugby union - a point he maintained when interviewed by the NRL salary cap auditor Ian Schubert and lawyer Tony O'Reilly.
Bellear said he first approached Inglis about an ambassadorial role with the AMS, based in Redfern, in February during the camp for the All Stars match on the Gold Coast - well before Melbourne had to shed the centre following the investigation into the club's salary cap rorting, and well before Souths began negotiating with the Test representative.
''I'm disappointed,'' Bellear said. ''Greg wants a career in Aboriginal health. Whether he was at Newcastle, or Penrith, or even playing rugby union, we would have pursued him to be a part of Aboriginal health.
''If anyone wasn't going to get in bed with Souths, it was me. I first spoke to Greg in February. Greg had no plans to leave Melbourne then - I didn't say, 'If you come to Souths, we'll take you on board'. I told him if he came to Sydney, or anywhere in NSW, we'd love to have him on board.''
ANZ Stadium officials also believe their $50,000 deal with Inglis is almost identical to that Bulldogs playmaker Brett Kimmorley had this year

There you go. The two biggest 3rd party sponsors in this deal, both are insulted by the NRL's bs conduct. The NRL should be ashamed of itself. I really would love to know the NRL's justification, and what evidence it had that these deals were dodgy. We have two organisations here with reputations to protect, why on earth would they go to that much trouble to do something against the rules for us?

Pathetic move. The greatest sport on earth is run by a pack of incompetent and biased morons.

And we all know Schubert is a Roosters stooge, enough said.

BunniesMan

Immortal
And good on them for having the balls to do so, if the salary cap is to ensure a level playing field then there shouldn't be any leniency... to any teams.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...r-savages-nrl-over-ruling-20101219-191zp.html

Seems to me the NRL is full of sh*t and has no idea what it's doing. It made an arbitrary decision with little evidence. It even had a problem with one sponsor who talked to Inglis months before he was ever even linked to Souths.

Another sponsor has basically the same deal with Kimmorley.

And those are the two biggest. The NRL is incompetently managed, and this whole situation with Inglis is the latest example of that.

Big Sam

First Grade
Seems to me the NRL is full of sh*t and has no idea what it's doing. It made an arbitrary decision with little evidence.

The NRL is incompetently managed, and this whole situation with Inglis is the latest example of that.

Absolutely right BunniesMan. I wonder if the outcome would had been different were the Auditor to have been a former player from any other club other than our biggest rivals?

I smell a conspiracy.

BJP76A

Juniors
If I was any of the souths players rumoured to be on the outer so that the club can secure the signature of this grub I would be absolutely filthy right now.

Have a good hard look at what your club is doing to itself by going out of their way to sign this bloke.

Fancy sacrificing players who have been loyal, hardworking and commited to the club for a grub who reneged on a handshake deal, was knowingly rorting the salary cap for years and cant even play for the state he was born, bred and played his junior football in. (Thank F... on the last point anyway)

If this deal eventually gets through I hope that your club gets burn't by this grub. Knowing what everyone knows about him souths deserve all they get.

Let this scumbag leave the NRL all together, reminds me of show me the money Sonny, sadly but I think even SBW has more between his ears than this bloke, not by much though mind you !

RWB

Bench
Absolutely right BunniesMan. I wonder if the outcome would had been different were the Auditor to have been a former player from any other club other than our biggest rivals?

I smell a conspiracy.

Yeh because when we signed Mason late in 2007 we didn't have to release 3 players :roll:

R2Coupe

Juniors

I smell a conspiracy.

Of course, when the NRL calls your bluff the last resort is to attack the body responsible for regulating the cap.

Actions have consequences. Unfortunately for Souths, some of your loyal players may have to suffer for this blunder.

Perhaps your anger is better directed towards those responsible for calculating you had money to sign Inglis!

gronkathon

First Grade
The article is written as if Kimmorley picked up that deal in the last year of his contract with ANZ. Hence it was not used to bring him to the club, hence breeches no guidlines.

The NRL have obviously deemed otherwise on the Gringlis deal

Last edited:

Danish

Referee
If they follow the precedent they set with the contracts they'd tell them to up his value.

Happened with the Broncos with I believe Sailor.

Also happened with us when we tried to sign on Mullins for another year after 2002.

We wanted to sign him on match payments and the NRL wouldn't allow it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts