What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Inglis headed to South Sydney - no players to be shed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
How far do you want to stick your head up your arse?

If parading around a player in training gear and announcing his signing on a talk show before his contract has been ratified is professional you have got rock bottom standards.

Trying to deflect onto other clubs has got nothing to do at all with Souths and how unprofessionally they handled this entire thing. Souths were completely arrogant, they sized up Inglis's training shirt before even lodging his contract details with the NRL.

So you think that running a professional club starts and ends with signing players? That is what he is implying.

Oh yeah, and cheers for the head up the arse comment, that really hurt deeply.

Perth Red

Post Whore
$8 million cap.. $15 million income... what planet are you on :lol:

Let me guess, the WA Reds bid is being backed by some mining magnate with unlimited funds?

why? $15mill should be in the reach of all clubs that profess to be a top sports club in Australia, it shouldn't cost more than $7mill to run a club excluding player salaries. In SL they spend 50% on salaries and survive on incomes of less than $8million. Avg income at the moment in NRL is around $13-14million. If AFL clubs can earn millions I don't see why a sport as good as ours can't aim for the same.

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-news/eagles-top-of-the-afl-money-pile-20100323-qtpz.html

Last edited:

Dragon

Coach
why? $15mill should be in the reach of all clubs that profess to be a top sports club in Australia, it shouldn't cost more than $7mill to run a club excluding player salaries. In SL they spend 50% on salaries and survive on incomes of less than $8million. Avg income at the moment in NRL is around $13-14million. If AFL clubs can earn millions I don't see why a sport as good as ours can't aim for the same.

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-news/eagles-top-of-the-afl-money-pile-20100323-qtpz.html

Well of course it can, in due time. But there's no use jumping up and down about it now before the new TV deal is even agreed upon. I also dont see how the annual incomes of AFL clubs relate to the current G.I/Souths issue. We have the better product but our clubs earn less money than fumbeball, i get that. Its frustrating and annoying. Keeping a guy like G.I in the code is going to magically change that is it?

And is the SL figure $8m or £8m?

Last edited:

fred95

Juniors
There is no perception in our game (save for a few imbicilic south fans) that a lowly employee of a huge company such as News Ltd would have the ability to hand out favours, or penalise clubs, on his whims. I feel sorry for the mostly intelligent souths supporters, who will always have to suffer scorn from other club's supporters, who are getting sick of your foul mouthed attacks on anyone who follows a different club to yours.

kbw

Bench
$15 million dollars is so far out of reach for all but a couple of the NRL clubs (if any at all) I have had some dealings with costs etc through dealings with junior rugby league clubs. That amount is simply ridiculous and would involve
- something like $40 tickets to normal round games
- zero funding of country and junior RL
- great increases to foxtel packages, the platinum would probably be $180 instead of $120.

When will people get it through their heads that increases mean we the fans pay more and alot more

bottle

Coach
You want to talk about unprofessional clubs, and I can rattle off the clubs that lose money year after year, or those that have scandals coming out of their arses each year that tarnish the game.

There are clubs that appear to be worse run, no doubt. Souths however have handled this poorly and have tried it on, don't end up looking too good as a result. Inglis (regardless of whether it was Souths or anyone else) has been devoid of principles for a long time. How anyone could consider him an 'indigenous ambassador' is beyond me. Is this what we want our indigenous kids to aspire to be? Really? Please don't give me guff about him being a successful sportsman. There are plenty of successful indigenous sportsmen who have managed to show some class in the process.
How many people are on BunniesMan's 'fools' list? Anyone who disagrees with him for starters, and add the entire NRL administration, continue on from there. The weakest argument is to blame the keepers of the rules when it's your clubs management that has got it so wrong. Same line taken by a few Storm supporters. Apportion blame where it belongs. Guess I'm on the 'fool' list too now.
I don't know whether the 3PA rules as they exist are right or wrong. What this has highlighted is that they seriously need to be reexamined if we want to keep external money flowing into the game, and I' sure most of us do. However it needs to be managed in a way that can't be rorted, and helps to maintain the dual goals of the salary cap which are to even playing talent and prevent clubs folding. I personally believe in those two precepts, so I wish the answer was easy. Sadly, it ain't.

Galeforce

Bench
Souths have tried to close a GREAT DEAL , a COUP .
The only issue i see was that Souths were honest with all facts on the table , including Crowes simple summary of the signing .
i see no issue with this, though may be dumb versus what other clubs may do , especially Roosters , where everything is hidden.

Slammin

Juniors
as much as AFL claim they want to sign him they also have cap issues, I doubt someone over there has a spare 500k in their cap. If the AFL let a club have a concession on signing Inglis the rest of the AFL clubs would cry foul and rightly so.

Rookies for the first 3 years can be paid whatever they want in the AFL and won't bother the cap. That is why Hunt and Folau are both earning as much as their best player Ablett.

BunniesMan

Immortal
There are clubs that appear to be worse run, no doubt. Souths however have handled this poorly and have tried it on, don't end up looking too good as a result. Inglis (regardless of whether it was Souths or anyone else) has been devoid of principles for a long time. How anyone could consider him an 'indigenous ambassador' is beyond me. Is this what we want our indigenous kids to aspire to be? Really? Please don't give me guff about him being a successful sportsman. There are plenty of successful indigenous sportsmen who have managed to show some class in the process.
How many people are on BunniesMan's 'fools' list? Anyone who disagrees with him for starters, and add the entire NRL administration, continue on from there. The weakest argument is to blame the keepers of the rules when it's your clubs management that has got it so wrong. Same line taken by a few Storm supporters. Apportion blame where it belongs. Guess I'm on the 'fool' list too now.
I don't know whether the 3PA rules as they exist are right or wrong. What this has highlighted is that they seriously need to be reexamined if we want to keep external money flowing into the game, and I' sure most of us do. However it needs to be managed in a way that can't be rorted, and helps to maintain the dual goals of the salary cap which are to even playing talent and prevent clubs folding. I personally believe in those two precepts, so I wish the answer was easy. Sadly, it ain't.
You have a go at me, other Souths fans, the club itself and everyone else who you think disagrees with you while I've been basically saying all along the part of your post I put in bold. The 3PA rules (if they were applied properly in the Inglis case) are broken and need to be examined.

Also, the NRL has no right to give players a certain value and then forbid them from playing below that rate. So many people bitch about players being greedy, and yet there's rules in place so they can't agree to discounts.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Rookies for the first 3 years can be paid whatever they want in the AFL and won't bother the cap. That is why Hunt and Folau are both earning as much as their best player Ablett.
The AFL knows where their real battle is. And it's AFL v NRL. And a guy they steal from the NRL benefits the entire league, not just the team he goes to. The NRL needs to get this mindset. If Souths get Inglis instead of him going to AFL, it's a good thing for the entire league, not just Souths. And that's why I've said the entire time if my team can't get him I'd rather he go to any other NRL club before AFL. There's a significant amount (not everybody, but plenty) of people that would be happier if he goes to another code than if he signs with us. Those people make me sick.

Eels Dude

Coach
I don't mind seeing him at Souths but they can't pay him a s**tload via various sources yet only count him under the cap at 190k. Let's keep in mind other players this year have been forced to lose players they'd have love to have kept, because they knew what they could and couldn't do and didn't even attempt such deals when it came to recruitment and retention. So it's not really for on other clubs if Souths are given the oppurtunity now to sign Inglis using such deals, when other clubs have been prevented from doing so during their recruitment drives this season.

The 18th Man

Juniors
The $1.06 being offered by bookies should kill this speculation off.

Greg Inglis will remain with the NRL and South Sydney. Good news as far as I am concerned.

BunniesMan

Immortal
The $1.06 being offered by bookies should kill this speculation off.

Greg Inglis will remain with the NRL and South Sydney. Good news as far as I am concerned.
Good point. With so much speculation out there, odds so low are really surprising. They clearly know something the rest of us don't because $1.06 is basically a certainty. They just want to make a few bucks from the Essendon headlines.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Another one of the 3rd party sponsors talking about the deal:

"I have signed a stat dec confirming all my dealings with Inglis and his manager (Alan Gainey) are above board and invited the NRL to take a look at my books."

http://www.sportal.com.au/league-ne...815?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

There you have it. He claims to have dealt with Inglis and his manager. While the NRL said otherwise. That's 3 of the 4 sponsors going on public record saying they've done things by the book. They all signed stat decs. What more does the NRL want? They accused Souths of basically trying to cheat, with what seems to be no proof whatsoever. I'd be happy if Souths sued the NRL, not for the salary cap, but for defamation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts