What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Inglis headed to South Sydney - no players to be shed

Status
Not open for further replies.

drake

First Grade
People's team, my arse.

A movie star's pet charity more like.

If Inglis can slide into 50uffs with them losing no players, there's something rotten in the state of Redfern.

Big Mick

Referee
hmmm I like twiggy's...too expensive but lol.

Don't think Bunnies are over the cap. Best left and he was on decent coin because he signed when they were sh*t. Wesser took a massive paycut almost 50%. So thats $400k right there, on top of the fact cap going up by $600k when you include increases + increase in third party payments. Factoring in re-signing of young players before being experienced first graders and upgrading Issac Luke, I don't think they'd be over the cap.

However 2011 they may need to shed guys, but at that point, Crocker's contract I think will be done, as will Wesser's and Asotasi's? not sure about Asotasi's contract expiry.

Big Mick

Referee
People's team, my arse.

A movie star's pet charity more like.

If Inglis can slide into 50uffs with them losing no players, there's something rotten in the state of Redfern.

They have lost players, plus they haven't bought anyone.

RedV6

Juniors
Fat Lazy greedy arrogant - off to souffs. Same personality as rusty. He will be next to useless with the chocker half back who misses more tackles than he makes.

Well done Brisbane for not getting into that rubbish with him. They will be better of looking after their juniors who look very promising. And Smart of Melbourne who identified him as the most trouble of their top 4 both clubs better off without him.

Goddo

Bench
I'd guess only $200k or so is actually on the cap... probably about $100k from aboriginal charity work, $200k from third parties and such, another $100k under the marquee player rule.

There is nothing wrong with this (so long as souths have around $200k to spare in their cap). They will have to shed blokes in future though to pick up players or pass on young tallent they develop in house as they would be now operating very very close to the cap.

Noname36

First Grade
I'm sure he'll thrive with the fantastic halves they have at the Bunnies feeding him the ball...

This is a signing they really need to make happen though. On paper their forwards look fantastic, but they don't really have any stars in the backline at all.

Canard

Immortal
Good to see the talent spread out to be honest, and Greg going to one of the weak clubs.

gUt

Coach
Inglis will give Souths the potential to make a serious assault on the top 11.

You'd have to think there would be a bit of back end in there somewhere. Souths have at least half a dozen players coming off contract in 2012. Some of those on big coin.

DC_fan

Coach
If teams like StGeorge can fit in Gasnier and Brisbane could sign up Inglis, why can't we fit him in?

It is not as if we are stacked with rep players across the park.

The difference between Brisbane and us is that the Broncos lost Folau and the big salary they were paying him. Which big money player did we let go? I have to assume we spent our entire salary cap last season. So who have we lost from last season. Crossman, Lowe, Stapleton and Capewell are four players that come quickly to mind. But you would have to think Folaus contract last season with the Broncos would be worth much more then those four put together.

I don't know if we have the salary cap space available to sign Inglis. But if we do I have to ask why at this stage of the off season we do have it. Inglis has to be the last big name player still available. If we don't get him then who do we spend the money on?

Loudstrat

Coach
So basically Souths now have the best player in England, the best player in NZ and the best player in Australia ;)
And still can't make the f*cking semis.

Quick, better sign Stanley Gene, and you an have the best player from PNG as well.

Twiggy is a man of the people it's not surprise he supports the people's team
:lol: Souffs suddenly look like Easts! Something is wrong when Soufs are a team supported by ultra right wing mining billionairs and have mega $ to splash around.

Still, throwing folding stuff at Inglis is cheaper than paying tax. Now the big question - can he afford dentures for their all of their fans?

Good to see the talent spread out to be honest, and Greg going to one of the weak clubs.

Very true.

BranVan3000

Coach
The difference between Brisbane and us is that the Broncos lost Folau and the big salary they were paying him. Which big money player did we let go? I have to assume we spent our entire salary cap last season. So who have we lost from last season. Crossman, Lowe, Stapleton and Capewell are four players that come quickly to mind. But you would have to think Folaus contract last season with the Broncos would be worth much more then those four put together.

I don't know if we have the salary cap space available to sign Inglis. But if we do I have to ask why at this stage of the off season we do have it. Inglis has to be the last big name player still available. If we don't get him then who do we spend the money on?
Also Colin Best who was on quite a bit more than he deserved the way he was playing. Plus Talanoa and Wesser took pay cuts in order to stick around.

All of those players have been replaced by Juniors on minimum wage, some of those junior guys still qualify to be paid under NYC Cup Salary Cap like Dylan Farrel

Big Sam

First Grade
Inglis will give Souths the potential to make a serious assault on the top 11.

This from a fan of a club who barely made the top 11 last year. We had an entire forward pack missing for the second half of the season and still managed to finish above you.

boxhead

First Grade
So basically Souths now have the best player in England, the best player in NZ and the best player in Australia ;)

No.

There are quite a few players that are more talented or better than Greg Inglis in Australia.

Nice try with New Zealand, but Benji still outclasses Isaac Luke.

The best English player is debatable, majority would say Gareth Ellis is the best.

Moffo

Referee
Odds on inglis doing a choc and leaving the country on an airplane, coming back and taking up boxing?

Status
Not open for further replies.