What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Inglis headed to South Sydney - no players to be shed

Status
Not open for further replies.

badav

Bench
She could have sued him and walked away a rich and single woman. The fact that she didn't says a lot. Of course he might have hit her, but noone knows exactly what happened other than the two of them, and they have the same story, good enough for me (and it was good enough all along, not just since he decided to join my club).

You would have to be the biggest idiot i have seen for a long time if you believe that f**king rubbish. You don't hire a ridiculously expensive QC if its a simple matter of you and your partner having the same story.

You must not get out much or have no concept of reality if you swallow that. Any normal person unable to afford that kind of lawyer would never have gotten off in the same situation.

Greg Bird and his girlfriend had the same story too. They even both tried to pin on Brent Watson at one stage. :roll:

They had the same story so it must be true. It was Brent Watson.

You believe that too?

Last edited:

Hench

Juniors
2 things on this

1. I thought there was some stipulation that Inglis could only sign with a QLD team which is why I only heard Broncos and Titans in the running for him a few months ago

2. Souths have some good young centres in Champion, Farrell and Vai Vai. Could we see Inglis moved to fullback to take over from an aging Rhys Wesser ?

Bench
So now Inglis told the Broncos to f*ck off and hasn't spoken to Souths? A deal is negotiated, press informed, fans orgasm repeatedly, but Inglis HAS NOT TALKED TO SOUFFS YET?????????

I duno who is the buggest dickhead - Inglis -or you for putting your house on Souths winning the comp in 2011!!!!!!!!!! :lol::lol:
LOL so true,Souths never negotiated without permission,yeh right Bunnies man,you live in a dream world,of course they negotiated with Inglis,otherwise he would be in brisbane with that girl he never hit and loves so much.
Give it a rest and let the redness abate a little,before taking it to hand again.

BranVan3000

Coach
I hope Melbourne stand up to those crooks at Souths and show them what a little bit of true integrity looks like.

Loudstrat

Coach
Well, what's integrity? Melbourne have none, Brisbane sweet bugger all going over their history. Mundine hates integrity, and Inglis had no integrity to start with.

For Souths to leap in and play with that mix of vipers puts them in grave danger of compromise too. As I said earlier, what astounds me most is the amount of clubs NOT chasing Inglis. If Politis - the bloke most likely to wheel and deal and get what he wants - wanted Inglis the big goof would be a breakfast regular at Doyles by now - including sorting it out with the Storm. Ditto Greenberg. Searle went quiet suddenly.But who knows what the f#ck is really happening now. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that Richo and Lang don't know what is going on either - it could be Mundine influencing the whole thing.

No f*cking integrity, and a lot of sh*t that has stuck because one 23yo brainless f*ckwit thinks he can do what he likes.

I keep thinking of the little bloke of Fantasy Island - "Look boss The plane! The plane!"

BunniesMan

Immortal
Don't be naive. Souths surely have been negotiating with him without Storm permission.
I very much doubt GI told the Broncos to p*ss off without a solid offer on the table from Souths.
I'm not naive. Of course I know they've been negotiating, maybe even for weeks. What I was saying earlier is what they'd say in court. It doesn't matter what everyone knows, it only matters what you can prove in court. People were throwing up ridiculous ideas like Storm dragging Souths through court, well I was just saying what Souths would say, and Storm could prove nothing.

Every team negotiates with people who are supposedly on contract. That's how you see deals signed minutes after deadlines end.

2. Souths have some good young centres in Champion, Farrell and Vai Vai. Could we see Inglis moved to fullback to take over from an aging Rhys Wesser ?
Most people are hoping he goes to fullback, we have depth at Centre, Inglis can be more dangerous at fullback, and Wesser hopefully can be nudged into retirement and rewarded with a job for the great career he's had.

Oh and one more thing. Please forget this notion of Inglis and Brisbane having signed an "agreement". Inglis's agent has categorically denied this. There was never anything more than a contract offered, and then withdrawn.

Last edited:

Hench

Juniors
Oh and one more thing. Please forget this notion of Inglis and Brisbane having signed an "agreement". Inglis's agent has categorically denied this. There was never anything more than a contract offered, and then withdrawn.

Well the Broncos must have had a different notion as to what was going on. If there was no agreement signed why did Inglis even bother showing up to Broncos training ?

rnb11

Juniors
BunniesMan since you know everything about the salary cap and you're best mates with all the players and staff can you properly explain why in August Shane Richardson stated they could not re-sign Luke Capewell because the club had nothing left in the cap, he even said this even after Colin Best & co were released and was aware of the cap increases but now all of a sudden there's a spare 330,000+ just sitting around and noone has to be cut to make room. How is this possible, how can you go from not being able to afford a park footballer to being able to afford the world's best? It's not right and it seems you silly Rabbitoh fans are the only ones blind to it.

Dingus

Juniors
The big problem is that by the time the rabbitohs visit suncorp in round 25 for the much anticipated inglis v broncos clash, Inglis will have already left with mundine to play union in france.

BunniesMan

Immortal
BunniesMan since you know everything about the salary cap and you're best mates with all the players and staff can you properly explain why in August Shane Richardson stated they could not re-sign Luke Capewell because the club had nothing left in the cap, he even said this even after Colin Best & co were released and was aware of the cap increases but now all of a sudden there's a spare 330,000+ just sitting around and noone has to be cut to make room. How is this possible, how can you go from not being able to afford a park footballer to being able to afford the world's best? It's not right and it seems you silly Rabbitoh fans are the only ones blind to it.
Maybe it's a case of not wanting to resign a park footballer? And saying it in a way that doesn't hurt anybodys feelings. Besides all these people have their poker faces on when they're talking business, they're not going to go ahead and tell people the truth for no good reason.
And besides, if you people are so quick to think Crow and Richo and everyone else involved with Souths is cheating and lying through their teeth on this Inglis deal, then why are you so quick to presume they were telling the truth before about their cap situation? I think it's a case of believing things when it suits and seeing liars and cheaters when it suits.
P.s. I've never said I know everything about the salary cap.

How a $30,000 quibble is sending ripples right through rugby league
Roy Masters
November 9, 2010
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ight-through-rugby-league-20101108-17kjm.html

The Greg Inglis case is a legal minefield that has already damaged the game's most lethal player and has the potential to blow up the NRL's salary cap rules as well.

When the bill from a Melbourne law firm for defending Inglis in an action over the alleged assault of his girlfriend arrived at Storm headquarters, his manager, Allan Gainey, challenged the cost on behalf of Inglis. He was willing to pay $87,000 of the $117,000 bill, arguing the Storm hired the expensive senior counsel who defended him to protect the name of the club, not the player. It is a specious argument. Inglis obtained a good outcome. He didn't have to enter a plea; he could continue playing football; his reputation is intact.

Perhaps he should ask Manly's Brett Stewart, broke after defending his sexual assault case, if $117,000 is a reasonable cost to protect an annual income of $1 million.

The NRL's approach to the case also raises questions because salary cap commissioner Ian Schubert has declared any amount Inglis does not pay is assessable in next year's cap.

No one, including the Storm, who released Inglis to Brisbane, can explain why the $30,000 being challenged could not be included in this year's cap. ''The only answer we have been given is that it is at the discretion of the salary cap auditor,'' a Storm spokesman said.

The bill was incurred this year. Given the massive blow-out in the Storm's salary bill this year, surely an extra $30,000 wouldn't make any difference to the penalties imposed.

As it stands, if the Storm paid the $30,000, it would count in their first-tier cap and mean the club would be forced to shed a player.

So the amount has become a transfer fee in the sense that whichever club secures Inglis must have the amount included in its salary cap for next year.

Yet if an NRL club contracts a player from the English Super League, as South Sydney did with Sam Burgess, while the NRL club must pay any transfer fee involved, it does not count in their salary cap.

In other words, the Rabbitohs didn't have to include the transfer fee levied on Burgess by Bradford in their cap but they must include the fee involved in the possible transfer of Inglis from the Storm.

Who did the deal with Inglis and Souths? Gainey said on Sydney radio yesterday it wasn't him, yet admitted the terms - $300,000 a year - were the same as the Broncos were prepared to pay for Inglis.

And how can the Rabbitohs afford him? Souths chief executive Shane Richardson was quoted at the weekend saying of the club's capacity to sign Inglis: ''I always leave a bit of room to manoeuvre.''

Yet on August 26, he told a Sydney newspaper Souths could not re-sign utility back Luke Capewell because the club had no cap space.

Since making that statement, the Rabbitohs have signed two players, and while there has been speculation they might release forwards Roy Asotasi and Michael Crocker, they must find $300,000 for Inglis.

The Storm's readiness to assist Inglis in his legal action will cause clubs to seriously consider protection of their players in future embarrassments. Given the crazy world of a social media network out of control, this will become a big challenge to club boards.

And if legal expenses of defending a player before the NRL judiciary must be met by the player, how many will plead guilty rather than meet the cost themselves?

The anomalies over ''inherited transfer fees'', such as legal bills, will mean clubs will look to England for more and more players.

As the salary cap drives players to England at increasingly younger ages, they will return well before their use-by date.

Greg Eastwood left the Broncos for the Bulldogs and then moved to Leeds but returns to the Bulldogs without any transfer fees counting in the Canterbury cap and still capable of making a difference at the club that went from first to worst while he was away.

And why have the News Ltd-owned Broncos gone cold on Inglis?

The headline in the city's weekend News Ltd monopoly paper said of Inglis, ''Get Lost''.

The club imposed a deadline on him two weeks ago, then moved it.

The Broncos would be reluctant to take action against the NRL - still half-owned by News Ltd - over its salary cap rules. Perhaps Souths will.

Alex28

Coach
So...the Bunnies have not negotiated with Inglis and no negotiations will occur until Thursday, yet Crowe has apparently contacted him, the contract terms and amounts have been decided and Inglis has pulled out of all other negotiations with other clubs.

I hope the Storm sue Souths arse. They are blatantly breaching the rules. Inglis to Souths will be a good thing for the league but they aren't a rule to their own.

I still find it amazing that he wanted to leave to be with his girlfriend - so either she is going to Brisbane alone (so it would be better to stay at the Storm) or she is moving to Sydney.

No mention of her is all this.....

boxhead

First Grade
Hmm I think I over-reacted :oops:

I'm actually one of the people that want him to go to Souths :D

hellteam

First Grade
Haha you wouldnt have heard bunniesman say a good word about inglis a few weeks ago and now all he's done in the last few days is come on here and defend him like he's his brother.

franklin2323

Immortal
Branvan. Well I count you guys as having 28 over NYC age. Morgan. Mundine. Reynolds. Peats. Vaivai. Peats all too old for NYC payments. Granted only 25 will be in the top squad but unless 75% is getting back ended players need to go. Bunniesman. Melbourne wont release him until its paid. So it needs to go on the cap somewhere. I want him somewhere but it is impossible to keep everyone. Unless he will get $1m next season

Noa

First Grade
I still find it amazing that he wanted to leave to be with his girlfriend - so either she is going to Brisbane alone (so it would be better to stay at the Storm) or she is moving to Sydney.

No mention of her is all this.....

For the life of me I dont know why people keep bringing this up, it was a sound-bite for the media and nothing else. He left because we were 1.5 million over the cap and the Storm HAD to let a majore player go. The GF job was the initial reason he'd only consider Brisbane or the Titans, nothing else.

Alex28

Coach
I mean...Souths are great for the league. They usually create good news, they are a positive thing for the competition, yet they have absolutely no aspirations of winning a premiership.

It's a win-win for everybody. :)

S.S.T.I.D

Bench

Because we didn't have the money to sign players of Luke Capewell's calibre. Colin Best was offered a contract at a reduced rate and for 1 year; Cronulla offered a 2 year deal so he took that. Fair play to him.

As another Souths fan has put it, if I have $30 to my name and a friend asks to borrow $20 my answer would be that, 'I have no money'. But I do have money, just not enough to lend. And if a reporter asks why you didn't re-sign Luke Capewell the politically correct thing to say is, 'I have no money' and not, 'I don't rate the kid'. Shane Richardson always leaves some room under the cap for this very reason. The word of CEOs is always taken very lightly, but now presumably because it suits agendas, every word they say has to be true.

To be perfectly honest I hope Schubert is down at Souths HQ the day after the deal is done. The bloke couldn't find a horse at the Melbourne Spring Carnival if one wasn't pointed out to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts