What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grimaldi earning no income

ozzy_ozman

Juniors
Tony Grimaldi admits his outlook on football is very different to that of your average NRL star.

While most believe in the cliche "Retire rather than play a year too long", Grimaldi's motto is "I'd rather play a year too long than retire too early."

For two years now, the Bulldogs have told Grimaldi that the cupboard is bare - that they have no money to pay him under the salary cap.

Undeterred, Grimaldi has battled on, an established first-grader yet one of the lowest paid players in the NRL.

And Grimaldi admits that without the help of his understanding parents, he would have to retire and get a "real" job.

The club thought they could get around the salary cap by offering Grimaldi some part-time welfare work looking after its young players.

But NRL salary cap auditor Ian Schubert said no, so Grimaldi has been doing the job anyway- for free.

"I'm on minimum wage but I love my footy and the training and I still feel there's petrol in the tank," the 31 year-old says of his decision to sign a new one-year deal.

"I don't want to go into the workforce just yet - I've got 30 years ahead of me to do that.

"I know I wasn't in the club's plans for next year... or this year for that matter. But they got me at a good price (laughs) and I'll keep plugging away.

"Being in this position makes you play better - you don't take anything for granted and feel you have something to prove.

"I'm lucky in that I love the training and injuries haven't been too bad for me - even though I'm the wrong side of 30, I feel I'm the fittest I've ever been."

With a wife and two children to support, Grimaldi admits he's the exact opposite to the playboy image many fans have of NRL stars.

"It isn't easy and luckily my parents help us make ends meet," he says.

"My wife is very supportive...but sometimes she also gets frustrated at the sacrifices.

"She knows it's what I want to do, though, and she is great about it."

Grimaldi has no regrets about the hours he works for the Bulldogs with no financial reward.

"I spend time looking after the young kids at the club, lecturing them and helping them adapt to the football lifestyle," he says.

"It's something they need because in this game, it can be easy to lose your way."

In a team that contains headline acts like Sonny Bill Williams and Willie Mason, Grimaldi remains a vital cog, a reliable performer with a proven big-match record.

"I'm no superstar, but I go out and give my best every week," says the hooker/ back- rower.

"I like the footballers lifestyle... there is a lot of camaraderie there.

"I am qualified to be a PE teacher so there is life after footy... but hopefully it can wait a while yet."

RLW

Raider_69

Post Whore
surely SBW could cop 10k less for sitting most the season out injured so the grimaldi's can live alittle easier

Parra Guru

Coach
It's funny how much they give SBW and Grimaldi is such a tireless work horse.

There should seriously be a mid season raise for players :crazy:

Unbelievable. What a champion.

Pando said:
Grimaldi can go teach PE if he likes. Won't be missed.

You're a f*cking tool. A player like Grimaldi, who by the way I think is a good workhorse, gives his all for your club to sacrifice his family's lifestyle and you make a comment like that? Classy. :roll:

Jono078

Referee
He is one of my favourite players tbh.

Im sure everyone would like a Grimaldi like player at their club.

sunny

grimaldi is a treasure. not the most skilled player, but very loyal and hardworking.

super_coach

First Grade
Roy and Nat have taken the dollars and who can blame them,but Tony stays at the kennel does 40 tackles a match,never turns in a shocker,heart and soul of the place and with match payments gets maybe 100g a year tops,probably less. But isnt that life in any work place,wrong but true
Gee when a bloke like gaz gets 1/2 mil a year and Tony gets peanuts,you think its all gone crazy.But every club has them and need them.

innsaneink

Referee
This is so wrong....but as has been mentioned it happens everywhere.

Mark O'neill was another in this boat, not sure but he woulda been on an average pay, not the most skilled but busted hishump every time he took the field, and one of the nicest blokes you'd meet.
But he'd been treated like royalty by Wests compared to Grimma

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Before i read this article, i absolutely disliked the guy 100% completley. Now after reading that, i have alot of respect for the guy. Will be a big loss to the RL community i think after reading that. Always puts in 110% on the lowest wage, while players who are earning three times more, maybe more than that struggle to put their hearts into training week-in and week-out.
A true champion imo, and thats from a RL supporter who disliked the guy.

Pando

Juniors
I Bleed Green said:
Unbelievable. What a champion.

You're a f*cking tool. A player like Grimaldi, who by the way I think is a good workhorse, gives his all for your club to sacrifice his family's lifestyle and you make a comment like that? Classy. :roll:

Piss off, Idiot. According to the original post, the club has told him they have nothing to offer for the last two years.

Either he's an idiot, has a crap manager, or is getting too old, or all of the above.

If you believe he sacrificed his family's lifestyle for the good of the club, then you're a bigger moron than he is.

And if he did, he's still a moron.

Pando

Juniors
[furrycat] said:
How is it SBW or Mason's fault???

Wake up to yourselves.

By the way, welcome back Pando ;-)

Ta mate.

It's obviously SBW and Mason's fault for being better players.

I'd love to know why we have to love a player just because he plays for us.

Maybe it only applies to Bulldog supporters....

Raider_69

Post Whore
[furrycat] said:
How is it SBW or Mason's fault???

Wake up to yourselves.

By the way, welcome back Pando ;-)

its not their fault
but on one hand you got SBW getting paid 400k odd a season to warm a seat in the stands half the season, whilst on the other Tony Grimadli plays his guts out and gives his heart and souls to you club, doing his best for minimum wage, 30k maybe 40k if he is lucky... Why not ask SBW, Mason, O'Meley, Ryan and Matua to take 2k each off their cap and give the Grimadli family another 10k to make ends met?

whats 2k to mason, sbw, matua, ryan and shreak? they'd all be on at least 250k each, some of them with only themselves to support, no wife or kids... if i were them, i recon i could spare 2 or 5 k to help a mate and a team mate out