What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grothe Jnr who is he?.....

The Engineers Room

First Grade
The Colonel said:
For a referee you aren't up to date on your rules - two players in a tackle, ball stripped over the line is a penalty try as it is an illegal play. Has been for a little while now.

Cronk made actual contact with the ball when he made the tackle.

Only acts of foul play can invoke a penalty try, it was changed about 5-6 years back. Things like high tackles and deliberate pushing of a player without the ball.

Bigfella

Coach
Only acts of foul play can invoke a penalty try, it was changed about 5-6 years back. Things like high tackles and deliberate pushing of a player without the ball.

That's not my understanding, or reading of the rules. The Mark Tookey try, and the penalty try this year, were both penalty tries for professional fouls. the Ainscough try was for an act of foul play, but is was also a professional foul at the same time in that it prevented the player from contesting.

The rules actually say:

Penalty try (d) the Referee may award a penalty try if, in his
opinion, a try would have been scored but for the
unfair play of the defending team. A penalty try is
awarded between the goal posts irrespective of
where the offence occurred.

I think the reference to foul play you are thinking of may be the penalty for foul play in the act of a player scoring a try, which gives the referr the right to give a penalty kick from in front in addition to the conversion attempt (the 8 point try).

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Bigfella said:

That's not my understanding, or reading of the rules. The Mark Tookey try, and the penalty try this year, were both penalty tries for professional fouls. the Ainscough try was for an act of foul play, but is was also a professional foul at the same time in that it prevented the player from contesting.

The rules actually say:

Penalty try (d) the Referee may award a penalty try if, in his
opinion, a try would have been scored but for the
unfair play of the defending team. A penalty try is
awarded between the goal posts irrespective of
where the offence occurred.

I think the reference to foul play you are thinking of may be the penalty for foul play in the act of a player scoring a try, which gives the referr the right to give a penalty kick from in front in addition to the conversion attempt (the 8 point try).

All I know is that as a referee we were taught to interpret it this way. And the Mark Tookey try was the reason it was changed. Who scored the penalty try this year and what was the circumstance?

Bigfella

Coach
All I know is that as a referee we were taught to interpret it this way. And the Mark Tookey try was the reason it was changed. Who scored the penalty try this year and what was the circumstance?

Cronulla v Tigers?

Someone shouldered a chaser out of the way on a grubber kick that went dead anyway. It was only a professional foul ie unfair play as opposed to act of foul play.

It was nowhere near as blatant as the PJ Marsh no-try earlier in the season v Souths, which was also a professional foul.

sportsmad

Juniors
i know..........uhhhhh.........no i don't, i can't be bothered. last i knew it was a team game, a bloke playing on the wing is never going to be the sole reason we win or lose a comp. Go join the 'let's get rid of Brian Smith' bandwagon in Newcastle and leave us alone.

Hellsy

Immortal
sportsmad said:
i know..........uhhhhh.........no i don't, i can't be bothered. last i knew it was a team game, a bloke playing on the wing is never going to be the sole reason we win or lose a comp. Go join the 'let's get rid of Brian Smith' bandwagon in Newcastle and leave us alone.

Now that is an intelligent post :clap: :clap: :clap:

Have a look at the other players everyone, you will find that Eric comes in because Ben has moved in, and Ben has moved in because Feleti or Finch has moved in... it is a team sport.
The amount of times I have seen Eric/Ben amd Kris/Tahu screaming at their inside man to move back up is ridiculous

sportsmad

Juniors
Hellsy said:
Now that is an intelligent post :clap: :clap: :clap:

Have a look at the other players everyone, you will find that Eric comes in because Ben has moved in, and Ben has moved in because Feleti or Finch has moved in... it is a team sport.
The amount of times I have seen Eric/Ben amd Kris/Tahu screaming at their inside man to move back up is ridiculous

thanks Hellsy......just don't get used to it :lol:

robbo74

Juniors
I have looked at some peoples replies from my post on Eric Grothe Jnr & am Dumb founded at some of the responses. 1. Joel Reddy is not like 30 years old & is an up & coming player & if u were to ask Hagan he has been putting alot of pressure on Grothe to retain his spot.

2. I agree with one persons opinion that when Luke Burt gets back he is gone anyway.
Boys & girls there is no need to put people down who has an opinion & the fact i love the EELS.

Go the eels this week there are alot of people at my work who follow the Dragons and i need to roast them all week.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
To be fair i dont really rate Reddy, but he has played some very good games for us this year which surprised me alot.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I just don't know where you get the Joel Reddy - up and coming thing from, sure he's 22 years of age but fairdinkum he's not going to peak any further than where his at that moment.

He's no more than a fringe firstgrader enough said.

AlexTheEel

Juniors
Grothe does so much work for the team and really gets us going forward. This constant criticism is vey unfair.

yy_cheng

Coach
I can't really understand Reddy. If I was him, I would try to get a gig somewhere else to play 1st grade.