What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gus can shove his "Origin Experience" up his arse

Big Pete

Referee
I'm talking about Game 3, when Prince got injured and Hunt had to play the rest of the game at five eigth.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
And that happens maybe once at the end of each year.

Yeah thats when Tri/Four nations and World Cup Finals are typically played for the last 20 years.

The mid-year Tests have been cake walks,
Those are not finals. Relevance = 0.

over the last decade and the quality from either side has often been rusty, as would be expected.
Actually - the 2005 thrashing by NZ over Australia was pretty clinical - considering all levels.

But of course the Kiwis always look rusty - they don't have player power to suit the structured game of big passes and big kicks. Typically they are outgunned in the backline bar Manu thus, rely of forward domination, fast ball and second phase play. Looks scrappy - but a wins a win. It beggars belief how often Lance "Below Average" Hohaia finds the try line against Australia.

Maroon_Faithful

Juniors
No because those players actually played well in their respective positions. Hunt played as if he was a ghost and Thurston had to basically carry Queensland for the rest of the game. Not that he had to carry them that far...NSW were extremely pedestrian.
Despite a swath of criticism, Hunt actually played fine in Game 1 at 6 IMO. Game 3, yeah he played as a ghost; doesn't mean the game was low quality. Go back and watch the 05 series with Anasta playing outside Johns and Buderus - He did SFA as well.

The last quality game that meant anything was Game 2 2007...the rest have either been one sided or mediocre.
See, as I suspected, you're conflating "quality" with other immaterial. Whether a match is close or not, has little to do with whether the standard of RL being played is good quality.

langpark

First Grade
Gus deserves credit for at least trying to call something before it happened (for a change), even if it was a wrong prediction. He usually waits until after then claims that it panned out just as he predicted.

Maroon_Faithful

Juniors
Yeah thats when Tri/Four nations and World Cup Finals are typically played for the last 20 years.
Are you taking the piss?

Those are not finals. Relevance = 0.
I was arguing against the notion that Test RL is the pinnacle. That includes any match against NZ or England.

Actually - the 2005 thrashing by NZ over Australia was pretty clinical - considering all levels.

But of course the Kiwis always look rusty - they don't have player power to suit the structured game of big passes and big kicks. Typically they are outgunned in the backline bar Manu thus, rely of forward domination, fast ball and second phase play. Looks scrappy - but a wins a win.
You cut a sentence of mine in half and misrepresented it. That aside, the 05 final was of no particular quality IMO. Australia were severely injury-stricken and played like park footballers.

Big Pete

Referee
Despite a swath of criticism, Hunt actually played fine in Game 1 at 6 IMO

Are you joking? He failed to do his job as a five eigth and the only thing he contributed was laying a few big hits on Hoffman. Aside from that he was a liability in defence and absolutely poor in attack.

Game 3, yeah he played as a ghost; doesn't mean the game was low quality.

It really was, after Prince went down neither side knew how to score points, which made for some low quality attacking football.

Go back and watch the 05 series with Anasta playing outside Johns and Buderus - He did SFA as well.

Are you sure you're thinking of the right series?

Anasta was good in both those games and basically kept his position on the back of those two performances. Game Two he ran well off Johns and played a hand in a number of their second half tries. Game Three he took a lot of pressure off Johns and was one of the best players on the park.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Are you taking the piss?
Yes.

I was arguing against the notion that Test RL is the pinnacle. That includes any match against NZ or England.
With that attitude Australia will continue to lose world cups and four nations. Odd theory you have - imagine if Ricky Ponting said after losing the Ashes that Sheffield Shield was the pinnacle.

You cut a sentence of mine in half and misrepresented it.

How was it misrepresented? You just going to go on irrelevant tangents about ANZAC test matches again when I was talking about end of season international finals? By the way - your points about build up time etc - finals of Tri Series and World Cups are generally after a month or so after kick off of action... :) So that point nullified too.

Maroon_Faithful

Juniors
Are you joking? He failed to do his job as a five eigth and the only thing he contributed was laying a few big hits on Hoffman. Aside from that he was a liability in defence and absolutely poor in attack.
He wasn't any more of a liability in defence than Thurston or Prince were, so that's a moot point.

How was he absolutely poor in attack? He had virtually no field position to work with, got no good ball from Thurston, and played behind a beaten forward pack. He got a nice repeat set just before HT which lead to a QLD try. Hunt didn't play any worse in Game 1, than what Prince did in Game 2. People just stipulate otherwise because we flogged the Blues and Prince set up a measly try, long after the match was over. Put Hunt in Prince's place for Game 2, and he would've played just as well if not better.

It really was, after Prince went down neither side knew how to score points, which made for some low quality attacking football.
Ah, the other empirical test of quality RL - Points. :roll:

Are you sure you're thinking of the right series?

Anasta was good in both those games and basically kept his position on the back of those two performances. Game Two he ran well off Johns and played a hand in a number of their second half tries. Game Three he took a lot of pressure off Johns and was one of the best players on the park.
What did he create? He scored a soft try and threw a few pedestrian passes. For the amount of opportunity and forward dominance he had, he was pretty ordinary IMO.

Maroon_Faithful

Juniors
With that attitude Australia will continue to lose world cups and four nations. Odd theory you have - imagine if Ricky Ponting said after losing the Ashes that Sheffield Shield was the pinnacle.
That would have to be one of the most absurd juxtapositions I have ever heard. Comparing the relationship between Test and First Class cricket, with SOO to Test RL. Bloody absurd and nothing more needs to be said.

How was it misrepresented? You just going to go on irrelevant tangents about ANZAC test matches again when I was talking about end of season international finals?
You cut the sentence in half and took it out of context.

By the way - your points about build up time etc - finals of Tri Series and World Cups are generally after a month or so after kick off of action... :) So that point nullified too.
Wtf? What a load of rot.

Big Pete

Referee
How was he absolutely poor in attack?

Had horrible timing, didn't offer much with his kicking game (that grubber came off the back of him miss timing a pass to Crocker who was through a gap) and overall looked lost and out of place there.

Hunt didn't play any worse in Game 1, than what Prince did in Game 2. People just stipulate otherwise because we flogged the Blues and Prince set up a measly try, long after the match was over. Put Hunt in Prince's place for Game 2, and he would've played just as well if not better.

:lol: Please, Prince gave Queensland much more shape and gave Queensland a much quicker spread. Hunt would've just cramped Queensland's attack.

Ah, the other empirical test of quality RL - Points. :roll:

Or better yet no side looked like scoring and were barely throwing anything at one another. Heck, if anything they were throwing stuff at each other...just look at Cross belting his own team mate.

What did he create? He scored a soft try and threw a few pedestrian passes. For the amount of opportunity and forward dominance he had, he was pretty ordinary IMO.

Set up the second Mini try through a in and away with an offload.

Braith through the long pass to Johns to put him on the outside of his opposite to put Gasnier away.

Anasta ran a good line for that first try, classic five eigth try.

Few pedestrian passes...:lol: maybe you should watch the game again yeah?

hutch

First Grade
origin may be the toughest, fastest and most physical game of rugby league on the planet, but it is not the pinnacle of the entire sport of rugby league.

go back to rleague with your dribble maroon faithful, we dont need you here hijacking threads with your manlove for dallas johnson!

ANTiLAG

First Grade
That would have to be one of the most absurd juxtapositions I have ever heard. Comparing the relationship between Test and First Class cricket, with SOO to Test RL. Bloody absurd and nothing more needs to be said.

First Class Cricket: State v State
State of Origin: State v State

Test Cricket: Country v Country
Test Rugby League: Country v Country

Fairly analogous...

You cut the sentence in half and took it out of context.
Twice you have asserted this but still not shown me how I took you out of context. Maybe your communication was unclear to begin with. Clarify your point.

Wtf? What a load of rot.
No: Fact. The pool games take roughly a month to complete as there are either (short) 3 pool games, or (long) 4 pool games before the final. One game a week: roughly a month. Maths not your strong point per chance?

Maroon_Faithful

Juniors
Had horrible timing, didn't offer much with his kicking game (that grubber came off the back of him miss timing a pass to Crocker who was through a gap) and overall looked lost and out of place there.

:lol: Please, Prince gave Queensland much more shape and gave Queensland a much quicker spread. Hunt would've just cramped Queensland's attack.
How you can say what you have in the first paragraph and then turn around and say that about Prince is beyond me. Prince mis-timed two passes to Crocker in the first half alone. His kicking game was disgraceful apart from maybe two kicks all night. Hunt had nothing to work with. Prince had everything to work with, and still failed to do anything creative. Hunt's job wasn't to spread the ball. It was to run; he's a ball runner. Prince had non communication with his runners, didn't know when to run or pass, and was about as dangerous as Trent Waterhouse.

Or better yet no side looked like scoring and were barely throwing anything at one another. Heck, if anything they were throwing stuff at each other...just look at Cross belting his own team mate.
Well that's just not true either. Pearce's kick to the posts almost produced a try. Folau made a great break down the sideline and only Anasta covering the grubber that followed, prevented Slater from scoring. Not to mention Inglis making a break in the first half which should've lead to a very simply draw and pass try. And the NSW set that followed Slater's try, was excellent; first Cooper made a break down the left. The offload from Mason in the 75th minute nearly saw a try to Cooper again. Smith's kick only minutes later, when the Blues were all lining up for a field goal attempt, also nearly lead to a try. And some of the interplay of passing from QLD in their own end, was clinical.

How any one can watch that game and say it wasn't great quality, or that neither side looked like scoring, is beyond me.

Set up the second Mini try through a in and away with an offload.

Braith through the long pass to Johns to put him on the outside of his opposite to put Gasnier away.

Anasta ran a good line for that first try, classic five eigth try.

Few pedestrian passes...:lol: maybe you should watch the game again yeah?
LMAO. You want to claim that pass? :lol:

In a team that had dominance in every single facet, he did one good play all night, and even then it was against woeful QLD defence, namely Lockyer, Berrigan and Wesser.

We all know what happens when Anasta's side doesn't dominate - 2006 Game 2.

Maroon_Faithful

Juniors
origin may be the toughest, fastest and most physical game of rugby league on the planet, but it is not the pinnacle of the entire sport of rugby league.
It depends how you define "pinnacle". What you've said here - toughness, speed, physicality; that's how I define it.

go back to rleague with your dribble maroon faithful, we dont need you here hijacking threads with your manlove for dallas johnson!
I don't post on Rleague, and I haven't mentioned Dallas Johnson any more than any other player. Stop talking out of your arse, Hutch. Moron.

Last edited: