What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gus can shove his "Origin Experience" up his arse

Glen

Bench
I didn't hear the commentry but surely it's a fair point that Origin does help Australia's chances. A lot of the players form combinations through year on year origins and tests and it gives players more time to get used to rep footy camps and adapting to different coaches, styles etc. Only downside could be that players are buggered after a long season plus origins, but they're all fit enough.

It just doesn't mean guaranteed series wins, and the Kiwis have proven many times recently that they can usually match it with the Aussies in a test series.

Knowing Gus' history though I'm sure he was talking down on the Kiwis all game as he always does to NZ and England

Morris goes out in the GF and this fat f**k says the Roosters need to move on and get over it but last night it was his usual no no no no crap. f**k off Gould.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Danny Morrision the cricketer is currently doing more to promote International RL during the coverage of the NZ v India test match than Gus and his cronies could ever hope to do.

Well done Danny boy!

He congratulated the Kiwis on their win and now he's trying to convince fellow commentator Laxman Sivaramakrishnan to watch "the great game of league" on youtube.

haha yep that was awesome

What was even more awesome was during the India/Sri Lanka/NZ tri-series a couple of months ago, Russell Arnold was in commentary (either with Morrison or Simon Doull) and, unprompted, starting waxing lyrical about how great Benji Marshall was. How the f*ck would a Sri Lankan cricketer know about, let alone avidly watch, NRL?

ANTiLAG

First Grade
haha yep that was awesome

What was even more awesome was during the India/Sri Lanka/NZ tri-series a couple of months ago, Russell Arnold was in commentary (either with Morrison or Simon Doull) and, unprompted, starting waxing lyrical about how great Benji Marshall was. How the f*ck would a Sri Lankan cricketer know about, let alone avidly watch, NRL?

Russel Arnold played cricket in Sydney grade comp. Seasonal overlap...

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Russel Arnold played cricket in Sydney grade comp. Seasonal overlap...

yeah, well I know he's obviously toured NZ and Aus a bit as well, but it's still pretty cool that he would get so into it and then go on and on about it during a cricket broadcast throughout the subcontinent

LeagueNut

First Grade
Didn't he speak of the 'origin experience' whilst the match was in the taking of the Aussies in the WC final?
Yep, he was going about how intense the last 20 minutes were going to be, and that the Aussies have the advantage of going through the Origin series with a similar intensity.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Kearney will not stop

Shillington, Scott, Hannant and Civo making yards.

Will not stop

Thaiday, Myles, Harrison and Johnson tackling rampantly.

Will not derail

SMith's direction

Will not contain

Thurston brilliance

Will not stop

Inglis, Hodges, Slater, Boyd finding the try line.

All NSW can do is prey that Bird and Carney have enough ball to score enough points to be in the contest near the end....

Perth Red

Post Whore
lol at the Gus silence after his out on there feet comment. Geez I wished we had a red button option to switch to the NZ commentators, at least they sounded like they were enjoying the game!

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
the commentary from the channel 9 crew was disgusting. i actually had the option to switch back to geniused costigan and halligan and took it, before half time.

the only point where i wanted to hear them was during the winning try.

Frailty

First Grade
Phil Gould is a blight on the game.

I don't care how 'passionate' he claims to be, or the amount of time he claims to 'love the game', he does more damage than anyone else.

You can not go through a game where he commentates without him spilling worthless crap derailing the game and going on constantly about whats wrong with it. He puts the viewers into a negative feel about the game and it takes away from the great spectacle the sport is!

I just hope 9 miss out on the rights, and whoever wins them does not pay gus to come over.

Gus Gould - As bad for the game as John Ribot.

BrisbaneRhino

Juniors
The NRL/ARL should have a say as well. They need to remind C9 that they want POSITIVE coverage of the game to sell it to the public, not just the facts and negative opinions.

Compared to Union commentary where routine plays are lauded to the skies (in the UK Bill McLaren used to wax lyrical about every kick, scrum and dropped ball as though we were witnessing angels playing on earth), league's commentary is almost ridiculously self-deprecating. Or watch the commentary when the Wallabies smash some easybeats by 80+ in a World Cup. The commentators talk up the Wallaby plays, and applaud the 'guts' etc of the 'plucky' losers. In league we're more likely to hear the commentators complain about pointless mismatches.

Gould seems to like being the sage of all RL wisdom, rather than a commentator. As a summariser I have no problem with him, and in terms of his knowledge he's good at putting things across, but in terms of selling the game he's useless.

Godz Illa

Coach
It's another good reason to split the broadcast rights between NRL/Origin/Tests. That way we may avoid the problem of constant - and I mean constant, it began from about round 2 this year - promotion, discussion,hype,bullsh*t of the Origin series during NRL games and Tests. The NRL broadcaster can promote NRL, Origin promote Origin and Test promote Test

flamin

Juniors
It's another good reason to split the broadcast rights between NRL/Origin/Tests. That way we may avoid the problem of constant - and I mean constant, it began from about round 2 this year - promotion, discussion,hype,bullsh*t of the Origin series during NRL games and Tests. The NRL broadcaster can promote NRL, Origin promote Origin and Test promote Test
Ideally they should all promote each other, that's how cross promotion works. Unfortunately Ch9 and the NRL (who should be stipulating certain aims for the broadcaster to meet) seem lack the understanding to use this at all levels of the game, not just Origin.