What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gutless!!!

Misanthrope

Staff member
I swear I must have a man crush on Warren Smith. That's the second time (at least) that I've credited him with out 2001 successes >_>

Knightmare

Coach
I blame the culture at Parramatta for Smiths' inability to win a comp with them more than anything. The fans, the administrators- have waited over 20 years since their last Premiership and spent countless millions, and still for nothing. All that pressure has to screw with the minds of players and coaching staff when they should only be worried about doing what they do best. That, for mine, is why the Eels would usually do so well in the regular season and then choke in the games that mattered.

otori

Juniors
Misanthrope said:
gutless, heartless, talentless speed bumps like Bradley Tighe, George Carmont, and Kirk Reynoldson.

Steady up on George. He wasn't the one letting in all the tries. 6 tries down the same defensive line? That wasn't Carmont's fault.

Delboy

First Grade
One thing parra supporters do know is that BS is a great administrator/builder, but when you guys make the comparison to Hagan, you should acknowledge the resources that BS had available.

The Parramatta club probably spent more on facilities, support staff and the junior programme than anyone else, I think we realise that through that time there was little money available at the Knights to do anything like that. The training facilites were third rate, and it was only when this was pointed out in a semi-confrontation with the board and Sarge was the sacrificial lamb that things started to come ino the open.

Eels supporters are aware that you guys are in for as roller coaster ride, exciting and fearful at the same time as we have been there for close to 10 years.
BS inherited the side was built around the Super League war, that cost $10 mio per year, still didn't get it over the line, and the rebuild promised so much but never delivered.

Welcome to the BS world, and I hope it does deliver for you because as supporters you deserve a lot more, but to blame Hagan for everything is very myopic, there would have been a riot if Bedsy, Joey, Simmo et al were relased to free up funds, so you had to work around the finances. The club now has a foundation to build something, BS will help in that process, but Hagan never had the resources, as I have said before both clubs will benefit for a few years from the change in coaches, be realistic and enjoy the ride, but there will be times when you will need to close your eyes and hold on.

Misanthrope

Staff member
well now this explains a lot

Ah, so you're a homophobe now? All class, you are.

And no, I'm not gay, but you're making it clear that you are a predjudiced redneck.

aqua_duck

Coach
Look I'm not going to comment on Brian Smith's people skills because I haven't met the man, nor am I going to comment on his management style, the only thing I'll say is, I would have gotten rid of most of the guys he's decided to get rid of.

Mick Hagan is a great bloke, i've met him a few times, and he's the most polite, mild mannered bloke you'd meet, and to be honest if I was a player I'd want him as a coach because he seems like such a good bloke. However Hagan is probably too nice to make the tough decisions, he let go alot of juniors who are now starting to have success at other clubs. Anthony Tupou has played for NSW and Australia, Greg Bird has played for NSW, these 2 spring to mind immediately. The players of similar age to bird and Tupou who played 1st grade under hagan are a who's who of nuffies, the likes of tanner, lowrie, brown, andrew price, matt kennedy, tood bates, etc.
Whilst I'll agree that hagan didn't have to resourses smith had at parra, I'll argue that smith never had a halfback who won 2 golden boots and 3 dally M's. Hagan managed to sign run of the mill footballers like reynoldson, newton, mark hughes, etc to huge contracts which combined with the salaries of Joey, Bedsy, Simmo, etc meant that we were never able to secure the likes of Bird and Tupou, or recruit any decent players form other clubs. Although not all the fault can be attributed to Hagan either, Mark Sargeant was clearly not football manager material, his negotiation skills clearly aren't up to scratch and he seemed to be an embodiment of the 'old boy's club'. I remember a few years back when the tigers belted us on benji marshall's debut, alot of fans were asking, where are our juniors? Howcome we don't have young kiwis like Benji? 2 days later Mark Sargeant is on the plane to New Zealand with 'a suitcase of names', and how many blokes did he sign? 0
As for Kirk reynoldson, look he's an honest toiler, and every team needs one, but no team pays 200k for an honest toiler, except hagan and sarge. What was Mark Hughes on a few years back? 300k?

fred_knight

Juniors
Misanthrope said:
Ah, so you're a homophobe now? All class, you are.

And no, I'm not gay, but you're making it clear that you are a predjudiced redneck.

Oh ffs get over your self you whining whinging bloody sook, im not a homophobe just misantropephobe....
born with a silver spoon in your mouth werent you, the way you carry on...get in the real world lad.

Apey

Staff member
well now we know you're lying :p

that or you didn't pass your last eye test

Burwood

Bench
Baron Vo Mandor said:
I have to admit I am strongly suspect this myself.

And the beauty of this is, with each piss poor performance, they are only reinforcing Smith's plan to get rid of half of the squad.

otori

Juniors
I'd rather they reinforce the plan of not being the worst side in the comp but hey I guess they'll do what they want.

Latest posts