What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gypsy - The weekly review

Minh

First Grade
ahh so just peoples perception... not any actual reports.

personally i dont expect a little fullback to charge back blindly into the defensive line and get belted... career limiting move.
there are smarter ways to achieve the desired result..

as long as he's at speed and eating up the meters, i don't care if he succumbs in the tackle..

its the running back at half speed that's the problem...

Yeh the wording of it was confusing, regarding Quinlan I am a big fan but as a fullback you have to eat up the metres quickly on the kick returns and not necessarily charge into the teeth of the defense, there is a difference in the two and preferably a bit of both but with some footwork before the defensive line.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Quinlan will need to run the ball more against Penrith
51 Metres
No Tackles
Hardly inspiring stats
Merrin's 264 Metres off 24 runs with 20 tackles was ridiculous
Thompsons 80 minute performance and big performances by Creagh and De Belin make are inspiring stats too
Nightingale continues his uncanny ability to offload three times while still making over 150 metres was also the stuff of legend.
You don't lose games with those kinds of numbers
Pumipi won't get another game this season IMO

Mr Red

First Grade
easy to make good yardage against inferior players that are most likely physically drained due to not being used to the speed of first grade footy.

lets hope they perform as well this week against a proper first grade forward pack.

mbk78

Juniors
I'm not 100% sure, but I think you're right about this inside_pass. They were extremely violent times.

I was at the 1977 grand final but missed the midweek re-match because I was still at school. The GF replay I watched on telly. It was like an all in brawl with Rod Reddy punching holes in Ray Price.

Likewise, the first match between Parra and Saints in 1978 was one big punch on. I'm not sure if that was Shulmans last match or not, but in that one, the Eels were definitely out for revenge.

Sorry to go back several posts but I think you'll find that the 77 Grand Final was Shulman's last game (being taken out illegally as he was) for Saints. In the replay John Bailey came in and did the job Harry Bath asked him to. My mind's rusty on who took over from Shulman in 1978 because Bailey wasn't the long term solution and we struggled through that season until one Slippery Morris took over the reins in 79 and helped get us back to where we deserved to be. Anyone care to elaborate?

blacksafake

First Grade
easy to make good yardage against inferior players that are most likely physically drained due to not being used to the speed of first grade footy.

lets hope they perform as well this week against a proper first grade forward pack.

And Quinlan still couldn't do it

Cagey Mac

Bench

Easier too if you're getting good service from DH
Souths played pretty well the same team and they both ran around 1380 metres

We played Souths and could only manage 1100 with Rein and Pumipi

We gained 1691 against the Sharks and conceded only 1190 odd

Garvey's 91 receives and and 78 metres with the ball in hand (at just under 10 metres per run) really makes a difference when getting our forwards off on the right foot.

Mixing Rein and Garvey may be just the tonic for improving our field position
Benji, Widdop and Dugan will give us the options in attack that we need if we're close enough.

Minor Premiership here we come :lol:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Quinlan I thought showed some good touches in attack and there was one really good pass he did which required a fair bit of skill which led to a try. His support play was good to as he was there for a couple of runs. If Dugan was not in the team you would not be that critical of his performance.

Saints have lost to teams worse than the Sharks in the past so it was good not only that they won but won comfortably with the following 2 stats:-

- Nil points scored against them
- Opposition made only 1 line break all game

Been a while since we have seen stats like that for the oppostion team. Saints have had those stats in the past a few times so it was good to see them on the other side.

Sharks had 13 out but Gordon, Heignighton, Ayshford, Holdsworth, De Gois, Gibbs, Graham, Stapleton, Gardner which most have been around for a while and have a heap of experience. They used 3 debutants and Saints had Garvey making his debut with Pumipi playing his second game on the NRL. In terms of experience there was not that much between both sides.

Dezziedc

Juniors
Quinlan I thought showed some good touches in attack and there was one really good pass he did which required a fair bit of skill which led to a try. His support play was good to as he was there for a couple of runs. If Dugan was not in the team you would not be that critical of his performance.

Saints have lost to teams worse than the Sharks in the past so it was good not only that they won but won comfortably with the following 2 stats:-

- Nil points scored against them
- Opposition made only 1 line break all game

Been a while since we have seen stats like that for the oppostion team. Saints have had those stats in the past a few times so it was good to see them on the other side.

Sharks had 13 out but Gordon, Heignighton, Ayshford, Holdsworth, De Gois, Gibbs, Graham, Stapleton, Gardner which most have been around for a while and have a heap of experience. They used 3 debutants and Saints had Garvey making his debut with Pumipi playing his second game on the NRL. In terms of experience there was not that much between both sides.

Yes there were positives but still, it was against the bottom team who were depleted. I think even if they had Gallen in there it would have made a bit of a difference for them.

I'm not taking too much out of it just yet. But there was some slight improvement. Again, I don't think having Dugan at centre is a negative at this stage.

I was at the Panthers/Gold Coast game on the weekend and to be honest, the Panthers didn't look overly impressive. They played a poor Gold Coast team. Having said that, they are playing better than us and they will pick up from the weekend, so it's going to be a tough ask I would say.

pinkmoon

Juniors
Wow. People really aren't getting this thread...

get over yourself man; no one really gives a f**k what you think of the teams performance over the weekend. You think Price is a good coach for a start :lol:

Don't you have re-runs of Bold and the Beautiful to watch anyway?

TheRev

First Grade
get over yourself man; no one really gives a f**k what you think of the teams performance over the weekend. You think Price is a good coach for a start :lol:

Dont think ol'gyps realises ppl have been taking the piss out of this thread... there are numerous others for us to sprout our views ;-)

gorilla

First Grade
3 tries, set up by Benji is nice.
But... Green could have scored them.

Quinny is a great utility player. Very good, but he's no fulltime FB.

I agree that Quinlan is not a FT FB.

I'm waiting until Dufty (U/20s) comes through.

BTW, Green wouldn't have scored the tries Dugan scored - Green can finish a try but it seems to me that he can't run into a gap - even if ol' slowhand puts it to him on a platter.

Mr Red

First Grade
Wow. People really aren't getting this thread...

Because it's shit. Rehashing thoughts from numerous other threads doesn't constitute the need for a new thread.

Ie talking about Dugan at centre and the form of Quinlan... Already discussed in other threads....

Last edited:

Mr Red

First Grade

:lol:
So who is Brooke bonking now days ?? :lol:

Minh

First Grade
Ridge must be 70 these days and in need of assistance in that department.

jenninga

First Grade
Rather Gypsy's weekly review than the predictable Telegraph mid season review which is online today.