What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gypsy - The weekly review

Minh

First Grade
From all reports it just seems that Quinlan is playing a bit scared, the kid has the potential to be a tremendous footballer but courage is not an option when you are 5 foot nothing, he needs to play the game hard the way Preston Campbell used to in a similar style and size of player.

TruSaint

Referee
I was waiting for this.

Remember Brett Morris' first few games as a fullback under Price?

Let's wait and see if Dugan can perform in that position week in, week out, against quality opposition before we make any apologies.

Even if he does play the odd good game in the centres, chances are he would have played a good game at fullback which is even more crucial to our success. We need his potency on the kick returns, which is why I feel this is a dud move by Mary.

You r very cheeky pink.

But u r correct.
Dugan is and always will be a prime fullback.
Thats when he shines.

3 tries, set up by Benji is nice.
But... Green could have scored them.
Mary seems to persist with this change for 2 reasons. One, to stamp his authority and 2, to provide Dugan a SOO spot,.

Quinny is a great utility player. Very good, but he's no fulltime FB.

Mr Red

First Grade
I was waiting for this.

Remember Brett Morris' first few games as a fullback under Price?

Let's wait and see if Dugan can perform in that position week in, week out, against quality opposition before we make any apologies.

Even if he does play the odd good game in the centres, chances are he would have played a good game at fullback which is even more crucial to our success. We need his potency on the kick returns, which is why I feel this is a dud move by Mary.

+ 1
Morris went well at fullback, but honestly he's the best winger in the world so irrespective how well he performed out of position it was overall a case of weakening one position to try and strengthen another.

The Dugan situation is another example of the above, weakening one position to try and strengthen another. A dumb move no matter if he proves capable or not...

Minh

First Grade
You r very cheeky pink.

But u r correct.
Dugan is and always will be a prime fullback.
Thats when he shines.

3 tries, set up by Benji is nice.
But... Green could have scored them.
Mary seems to persist with this change for 2 reasons. One, to stamp his authority and 2, to provide Dugan a SOO spot,.

Quinny is a great utility player. Very good, but he's no fulltime FB.

On the subject of Dugan at centre for NSW, it would be a massive gamble defensively but NSW need freakish players of Dugans calibre to wrap up the series, I'm pretty tired of the smug maroons giving the blues a hiding all these years.

From all reports it just seems that Quinlan is playing a bit scared, the kid has the potential to be a tremendous footballer but courage is not an option when you are 5 foot nothing, he needs to play the game hard the way Preston Campbell used to in a similar style and size of player.

One of my favourite players of all time was Mark Shulman. I know it was a different era, but he was only 5'2'' and weighed just 60 kilos. He played for the Dragons from 1971 to 1978 and was captain in his last year.

My dad used to tell me that it's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog. Shulman was only little for a first grader, but he was fearless.

Weipa Dragon

Juniors
On the subject of Dugan at centre for NSW, it would be a massive gamble defensively but NSW need freakish players of Dugans calibre to wrap up the series, I'm pretty tired of the smug maroons giving the blues a hiding all these years.

Go the maroons but I don't think we will get it this year. Slater, inglis, Cronk and possibly smith and cherry out we are f**ked. In saying that I have seen us beat the blues with a much weaker team. Remember bartrim and coyne in the arl super league series? Yep nsw look
Too good this game.

Minh

First Grade
One of my favourite players of all time was Mark Shulman. I know it was a different era, but he was only 5'2'' and weighed just 60 kilos. He played for the Dragons from 1971 to 1978 and was captain in his last year.

My dad used to tell me that it's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog. Shulman was only little for a first grader, but he was fearless.

Exactly CH, if your small you need to have the heart of Phar Lap to compete with those monsters on the field.

Minh

First Grade
Go the maroons but I don't think we will get it this year. Slater, inglis, Cronk and possibly smith and cherry out we are f**ked. In saying that I have seen us beat the blues with a much weaker team. Remember bartrim and coyne in the arl super league series? Yep nsw look
Too good this game.

I remember that Fatty Vautin led side with unheralded players like Matt Sing and the "Queenslander" catch call. I hope for NSW, we can make it a little harder for Queenslanders to sleep just for one year, from this year on.;-):)

TruSaint

Referee

Champion player with the heart of Phar Lap.
Could not believe how he lasted as long as he did.
In an era where chicken wings, meant a nice meal, and shoulder charges indicated you were late at the box office, he was a mighty competitor.
What a little legend he was.

Minh

First Grade
Interesting I used Phar Lap as well for the comparison Minh. ;-)

Indeed, as they say " ....." minds think alike... I don't want to sound like I'm boasting cos you're likely much smarter than me.;-)

TruSaint

Referee
Indeed, as they say " ....." minds think alike... I don't want to sound like I'm boasting cos you're likely much smarter than me.;-)

Great minds think alike buddy. Period.
Im no smarter / better than anyone here. But I can say you have a great insight into sport.
There are times I question my intelligence by following this mob for 40 years lol.

inside_pass

Bench

Wasn't Shulman kneed in the back by that cat Ray Price.I'm sure thats what ended his career.
Was a classy player and not much of him.Played way above his weight.

Wasn't Shulman kneed in the back by that cat Ray Price.I'm sure thats what ended his career.
Was a classy player and not much of him.Played way above his weight.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you're right about this inside_pass. They were extremely violent times.

I was at the 1977 grand final but missed the midweek re-match because I was still at school. The GF replay I watched on telly. It was like an all in brawl with Rod Reddy punching holes in Ray Price.

Likewise, the first match between Parra and Saints in 1978 was one big punch on. I'm not sure if that was Shulmans last match or not, but in that one, the Eels were definitely out for revenge.

Mr Red

First Grade
All the talk on here Mr Red, about him not running hard to the defensive line on kick returns.

ahh so just peoples perception... not any actual reports.

personally i dont expect a little fullback to charge back blindly into the defensive line and get belted... career limiting move.
there are smarter ways to achieve the desired result..

as long as he's at speed and eating up the meters, i don't care if he succumbs in the tackle..

its the running back at half speed that's the problem...