What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gypsy - The weekly review

Mr Red

First Grade
Souths bought Englis as a centre yet switched him to fullback....how is that going?

yep, moved FROM centre TO A SPINE position to get him more ball in his hands

Lockyer started grade as a fullback and shifted to 5/8....that went ok didnt it?
yep.. A spine role to another spine role, so what's your point?

Give Duges some time before you decide that is the wrong option for the team
my opinion is moving our most dangerous attacking player to a position where he gets less ball in his hands ( the REVERSE of Inglis at souths) isn't the best option for the team. Whether he goes ok at centre or not is irrelevant , he is now restricted to playing in one corridor on the field and will have to do more defence

Last edited:

Mr Red

First Grade
Moving Dugan because he's not a strong passing fullback is a complete cop out.

Forget that there's a number of issues with our attacking structures, such as our forwards that can't lay a platform, a crap hooker that can't pass, forwards that can't pass are asked to do so Bulldogs style, backrowers that don't commit defenders, most of our players run the wrong lines, timing is all out, players don't commit defenders and run themselves out of room...yeah but let's move Dugan because he can't pass that great. :roll:

All we have done is limit what Dugan can do for us in attack and made him tackle more (which does the same, I guess)

Why can't a coach just work with him? Slater is not a natural ball player either but found a way to improve. Sydney Roosters seem to go ok with Minichiello at fullback because they have halves, hooker and backrowers that can pass.

Correct. And even at centre the guy needs to pass so hat argument is also not an issue

Last edited:

BennyV

Referee
moving dugan because he's not a strong passing fullback is a complete cop out.

Forget that there's a number of issues with our attacking structures, such as our forwards that can't lay a platform, a crap hooker that can't pass, forwards that can't pass are asked to do so bulldogs style, backrowers that don't commit defenders, most of our players run the wrong lines, timing is all out, players don't commit defenders and run themselves out of room...yeah but let's move dugan because he can't pass that great. :roll:

All we have done is limit what dugan can do for us in attack and made him tackle more (which does the same, i guess)

why can't a coach just work with him? Slater is not a natural ball player either but found a way to improve. Sydney roosters seem to go ok with minichiello at fullback because they have halves, hooker and backrowers that can pass.

testify!!!

gypsy

Bench
I'll keep it short.

- Runciman. A lack of speed apparent. Early shifts where he's isolated equals points conceded.

- Ah Mau. A handy player, but looks on a different page to the other guys. Doesn't read our 1, 6, 7, 9 at all.

- Widdop. Needs to straighten us up more. He loves the touch footy style stop and dance, but it stops momentum and always results in a set D line. Benji can be Benji, we just can't have 2 crabs.

- Love the shifts on kick returns, could be used more selectively though.

- Actually witnessed our forwards putting on a few hits?!

- Will Matthews. Wow, what a momentum buster that was. Too many early tackle loose carries.

- Mindset on attacking kicks. Widdop put a bomb up (attacking) and they nabbed Slater on the 10 metre line. He dribbled one towards the sideline (defensive), it rolls touch in-goal for a 7 tackle set. We can't put the cue in the rack.

Good win. Stay tuned Dragons fans!

Last edited:

gypsy

Bench
Leave Will Matthews alone, only now has he been given a fair go.

Firstly, my thread brah, I say what I want up in here.

Secondly, I wasn't bagging Will. Just that lost ball on the zero tackle, when the lead up play was looking try of the year like, was a real kick in the pills. He played well.

GaryW

Juniors
What? Sections of the field have specific salary bands? Get real. You employ a player to do a job for you on the field. If that means moving a player around for the better of the team, then that's what you do.

It's not like we are paying both Dugan and Quinlan 700K a year to be in the team.

What's your point? You can't pay a quality centre the same money as Dugan? If they are worth the money and you can afford it, you pay them what they are worth. Will Hopoate is on 800K. Josh Morris is on 550K. Jennings is on 500K. So are you saying none of those players are worth that?

Or are you saying that if Quinlan becomes a long term fullback we need to pay him 700k a year?

You pay the player for his ability as a footballer. Irrespective of what position he plays in. It becomes mismanagement when you pay overs for players who aren't worth what you pay for them.

How do you know he is on $800 I a year dreamer!!

GaryW

Juniors
I'll keep it short.

- Runciman. A lack of speed apparent. Early shifts where he's isolated equals points conceded.

- Ah Mau. A handy player, but looks on a different page to the other guys. Doesn't read our 1, 6, 7, 9 at all.

- Widdop. Needs to straighten us up more. He loves the touch footy style stop and dance, but it stops momentum and always results in a set D line. Benji can be Benji, we just can't have 2 crabs.

- Love the shifts on kick returns, could be used more selectively though.

- Actually witnessed our forwards putting on a few hits?!

- Will Matthews. Wow, what a momentum buster that was. Too many early tackle loose carries.

- Mindset on attacking kicks. Widdop put a bomb up (attacking) and they nabbed Slater on the 10 metre line. He dribbled one towards the sideline (defensive), it rolls touch in-goal for a 7 tackle set. We can't put the cue in the rack.

Gypsy, dead set you have absolutely no idea mate, you have started a tread as if your the guru of football!! What ab absolute tool if you think you know what your talking about, what a bloody dribbler you are!!

Good win. Stay tuned Dragons fans!

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Just for a moment I thought we had signed Nightingale to do a weekly column in our forum

Me too...I was excited about this thread.Then I started reading about Runciman and Will Matthews' performance. Was confused as hell until I realised it was from 2014.